4 Points, 2 Hardest Games Of The Campaign Complete - Page 4 - TA specific - Tartan Army Message Board Jump to content

4 Points, 2 Hardest Games Of The Campaign Complete

shanghaiscot

They'll qualify easy. They're Germany!

TBH - that was my thinking at the start of the Group

But the facts are ....that Scotland, Poland and Ireland have rattled them quite badly early on in the Group......and our nations can only take positives from that

Do I think Germany will Qualify....Yes

Do I think they are going to do it as Easily as I first anticipated....Absolutely Not

Its going to be a crazy campaign for all our nations....germany included

• Replies 147
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Look forward to the games :ok::cheers3:

Anyone else think Germany might struggle to qualify? granted they should get 6 from both gib and georgia but they have to go to Dublin and Glasgow and win both, and make sure they beat Poland at home, i seriously think they could struggle.

I think the will still finish top 2 for sure. If they start taking their chances they will still run a way with it, in the 3 games so far they have had 77 shots on goal with 26 of them on target and only scored 3 goals. From our point you don't want them to click as the damage to an extent is all ready done.

Not looking any further than next month, we aren't out if we don't win but anything less makes it very difficult

i think that sums it up perfectly.

If we lose to Ireland - and lets face it they have gained an excellent 4 points from two tricky away games - then the best we can have is 7 points at the half-way stage, having played three of our five games at home. That wont be good enough

We're fine right now.

0 points away to Germany is pretty much expected.

3 from a potentially tricky home tie against a very defensive Gerogia is exactly what we needed.

1 point away to one of our rivals for 2nd is spot on.

Draw away, win at home. That's what'll get us there. Sure, Ireland got a fotunate extra point, but it's not going to be the last surprise this group has to offer. Right now we're getting the results we want and we should be happy about that. Ignore what other teams are doing, focus on us getting the results we want. 2 home games coming up. 3 points from each and we're bang on target.

My theory is that the 2 qualiying spots plus a play-off place has relaxed the big teams and fired up teams that don't often make it.

Spain, Holland, Germany and Italy have lost more games between them in this campaign than they have in the previous 3 campaigns combined. That is incredible.

Also, any victory against Poland at home sees us ahead of them on H2H, sneak a 1-0 home win against Germany also sees us ahead on the H2H.

Next three games are crucial.

9 points - excellent chance of qualification

7 points - great chance of qualification

6 points - still in the hunt for qualification

<6 points - all over

Ireland have good spirit about them but are limited. Luck has been with them so far. HUGE game against them next month but with a fair wind I reckon we will beat them home and away. We are still bang on target for 2nd place. Exciting group!

Ireland have been getting results without playing particularly well. They certainly have the potential. But then that's what we said about Scotland in the last campaign.

The difference between us and Ireland, right now, is that we have started to show that potential and we are picking up the results we should, whilst also playing well.

If it continues in the same way for Poland, Ireland and Scotland, then it'll be Scotland qualifying alongside Germany.

Edited by Tartan blood

2 schools of thought -

1. Germany will win the group and anything against them is a bonus. We need to win all other home games, away in Georgia and Giblatar and anything away to rivals is a bonus -

Poland (+1) +3 v Germany, -2 v Scotland

Ireland (+1) +1 v Germany

Scotland (+1) +1 v Poland

2. Germany are in the mix and are treated the same as other rivals.

Germany (-2) -2 v Ireland

Poland (-2) -2 v Scotland

2 schools of thought -

1. Germany will win the group and anything against them is a bonus. We need to win all other home games, away in Georgia and Giblatar and anything away to rivals is a bonus -

Poland (+1) +3 v Germany, -2 v Scotland

2. Germany are in the mix and are treated the same as other rivals.

Germany (-2) -2 v Ireland

Poland (-2) -2 v Scotland

I made a similar point elsewhere, but I didn't take into account that we were on +1 as well.

Really, unless Germany drop more points against Poland and Ireland, home wins and a draw in Ireland should be enough to take us through.

We have to remember that both Poland and Ireland will drop points against each other. We just have to hope it's not 6 points for one of them e.g Poland winning twice.

Ireland have good spirit about them but are limited. Luck has been with them so far. HUGE game against them next month but with a fair wind I reckon we will beat them home and away. We are still bang on target for 2nd place. Exciting group!

Luck hasn't been with them.

They beat Georgia through a piece of absolute brilliance from McGeady NOT a lucky deflected own-goal like we had.

And they are going into the next game with us with two of their best players to return in Coleman and McCarthy - i think they must fancy their chances of ending any chance we have of automatic qualification.

Have to say im baffled by how many on here believe Ireland to be a LUCKY side.

As the saying goes .....you make your own luck.

We dont get these results because we are always Lucky....dont be so ridiculous!!

We get them by not giving up and pushing till the very end.

We know we aint Brazil and we realise our limitations,,,,but we have a decent group of players with some very good players in our squad who play for each other and have a good spirit.

Ireland have been consistent in competiting in qualifying campaigns over the last 24 years..........in the last 24 years we have only finished outside the top 2 in the qualyfying campaigns ......just three times (2006 WC ,2014WC and Euro 08)....all other campaigns between 1988 - 2014 we have finished in top 2

I have no problem saying Luck has been on our side in some results (but that can be said for all teams similar to Ireland ...Scotland included) - but the lads always give it their all and that with a combination of right tactics, good defending, and good players is the reason we have been so consistent over the last 2 decades

We are no more Lucky than Scotland, Poland or any other Intenational team nor are we Limited as results have shown

And there is alot more to come from us .....as we havent hit top stride yet

Edited by Green_Tide_Rising

Have to say im baffled by how many on here believe Ireland to be a LUCKY side.

But this is the Tartan Army many of whom, like the White Queen, live in a looking-glass world and "believe in six impossible things before breakfast".

Leaving aside the proverbial 'luck of the Irish' (simply disproved by pointing out that Ireland sits within the north Atlantic rather than the Caribbean), recent posts have given us 'Anya should be dropped for not being Scottish' and 'The SFA could ask the Polish FA to arrange getting oor flags back' from some pubescent would-be hooligans.

Not so much baffling as rather touching...

What idiot said that Anya wasn't Scottish? :lol:

I do remember when he was first called up, seeing stuff on Twitter from moronic "why aren't we winning this 5-0, why hasn't Alan Hutton scored" types saying that "he doesn't have a Scottish name" and pish like that.

But this is the Tartan Army many of whom, like the White Queen, live in a looking-glass world and "believe in six impossible things before breakfast".

Leaving aside the proverbial 'luck of the Irish' (simply disproved by pointing out that Ireland sits within the north Atlantic rather than the Caribbean), recent posts have given us 'Anya should be dropped for not being Scottish' and 'The SFA could ask the Polish FA to arrange getting oor flags back' from some pubescent would-be hooligans.

Not so much baffling as rather touching...

In my defence Donny I conceded it was a long shot but it was just an idea for the lads to get their flags back :ok:

In my defence Donny I conceded it was a long shot but it was just an idea for the lads to get their flags back :ok:

Ach, I was only being an arse through a combination of boredom and booze - but as longshots go, mate, that's intergalactic.