Happy Birthday King Kenny - TA specific - Tartan Army Message Board Jump to content

Happy Birthday King Kenny

Toepoke

What a player.

Modern players who say they can't play in different positions because they are left or right footed, should be forced to to watch that on a loop until they realise what it is they are doing wrong. Left foot or right foot, he was equally as good. One of the reasons he was such an effective player was that defenders never knew which foot he was going to use. Scotland will never have another player as good as King Kenny.

13 minutes ago, ParisInAKilt said:

Our best ever player?

Without a doubt, in my mind anyway. You could maybe argue that we had other players who showed more talent for a short period of time. But he did it for a sustained period. I would say we didn't really start seeing the best of him at international level until he had about 40 caps, though.  

21 minutes ago, Orraloon said:

Without a doubt, in my mind anyway. You could maybe argue that we had other players who showed more talent for a short period of time. But he did it for a sustained period. I would say we didn't really start seeing the best of him at international level until he had about 40 caps, though.  

I never actually seen him but his record suggests he was, club and international games. 

24 minutes ago, ParisInAKilt said:

I never actually seen him but his record suggests he was, club and international games. 

my dad’s generation thought that Denis law was the best ever...  I think it’s tough to choose. Like picking between Pele and maradonna. Denis has higher goals per game, but Scotland scored more back in the 60s.

also, saying Scotland’s best ever is usually going to be a forward.  Wing half’s like billy bremner and sourness could also make a claim just not so glamorous role.  Same with Danny Mcgrain who was arguably best player in the world in his position for a while.

4 hours ago, Malcolm said:

my dad’s generation thought that Denis law was the best ever...  I think it’s tough to choose. Like picking between Pele and maradonna. Denis has higher goals per game, but Scotland scored more back in the 60s.

also, saying Scotland’s best ever is usually going to be a forward.  Wing half’s like billy bremner and sourness could also make a claim just not so glamorous role.  Same with Danny Mcgrain who was arguably best player in the world in his position for a while.

Aye,it's hard to compare different positions. When Gordon McQueen was at his peak, I would argue that he was one of the best centre halfs in the world, maybe even the best. It was often said that Sandy Jardine and Danny McGrain were two of the best three full backs in the world at that time. The third one being Berti Vogts. 

Being a forward, Kenny probably got noticed more but I doubt he was ever considered to be in the top ten in the world in his position.