Clarke wanted by celtic?? - Page 4 - TA specific - Tartan Army Message Board Jump to content

Clarke wanted by celtic??

hampden_loon2878

1 hour ago, Taylor1996 said:

I've went back and forth with this one in the past couple of minutes.

I started with: Clarke has got integrity. He'll stay with Scotland, at least till his contact expires. (After the World Cup qualifying)

But I don't know.

At Kilmarnock he made it known that he was so glad to go to England and get away from the bigotry. Going to Celtic would be planting himself at the heart of what he loathes.

I can't call it, either way. I think Celtic will have John Kennedy as the interm manager till the end of the season, and then approach Steve Clarke at the end of the Euros.

Hopefully he stays with Scotland, as chances are that our next manager will revert back to a flat back four, and I'll bore everyone (including myself) about the reasons we should play with a back three. No one wants that.

I think it’s naive to think they would wait until the end of the euros to approach him.  The deal will be already be done if that’s what both parties want.

As well as the points already raised in this thread, Celtic have announced they have a new Chief Executive, SRU’s Dominic McKay, starting in the summer, so unless he does an unlikely bit of moonlighting, they won’t appoint a new manager until after then. That would explain why Kennedy is interim for the rest of the season. I hope Clarke stays at Scotland. Celtic are likely to want a bigger name imo given Rangers have a big name in Gerrard.

10 hours ago, Malcolm said:

Celtic are roughly an upper championship level club.  Their turnover is £70m which was roughly the same as West Brom were when they were in the championship.  Man Utd are almost ten times bigger at £581m.  Coincidentally, that’s where I think Celtic would be from a footballing perspective.  People can talk about stadiums,  history and European cups, that’s all it is history.  Even the likes of Sunderland in league 1 have a 50000 seater. 

so the question is, would he move to the equivalent of roughly an upper championship level club?

Money doesn't define how big a club is.

You are also talking about the season wba got parachute payments from being in the epl the previous season. 

Feynoord usually have a turnover of 70million euros. Rangers turnover is 59m pounds. Would you say West brom are a bigger club than either of those teams. 

The size of a club comes down to a number of varying factors and money is one of those factors but there are others like fanbase size, trophies won, stadium size. 

Celtic is a far bigger club than wba and its a surprise to me that I am even explaining this to you. 

Next you will be telling me Bournemouth are bigger than sporting Lisbon because they get parachute payments from the epl. 

Edited by mccaughey85

1 hour ago, mccaughey85 said:

Money doesn't define how big a club is.

You are also talking about the season wba got parachute payments from being in the epl the previous season. 

Feynoord usually have a turnover of 70million euros. Rangers turnover is 59m pounds. Would you say West brom are a bigger club than either of those teams. 

The size of a club comes down to a number of varying factors and money is one of those factors but there are others like fanbase size, trophies won, stadium size. 

Celtic is a far bigger club than wba and its a surprise to me that I am even explaining this to you. 

Next you will be telling me Bournemouth are bigger than sporting Lisbon because they get parachute payments from the epl. 

Feyenoord and rangers are not big clubs, both would struggle to survive in the EPL.  trophies won in the past are irrelevant. That’s like saying were a big club.  Queen’s Park won lots in the 1800s.  What defines a big club in your view might be different from mine.  Nowadays money is the single biggest thing that defines how big a club is in my view.   Like market capitalisation defines how big a company is.  We are not in the 1980s anymore, everything changed with Sky. 

the reality is that footballers and managers, like the rest of us are driven by money, therefore deepest pockets wins.

34 minutes ago, Malcolm said:

Feyenoord and rangers are not big clubs, both would struggle to survive in the EPL.  trophies won in the past are irrelevant. That’s like saying were a big club.  Queen’s Park won lots in the 1800s.  What defines a big club in your view might be different from mine.  Nowadays money is the single biggest thing that defines how big a club is in my view.   Like market capitalisation defines how big a company is.  We are not in the 1980s anymore, everything changed with Sky. 

the reality is that footballers and managers, like the rest of us are driven by money, therefore deepest pockets wins.

Rangers and feynoord both have 50k stadiums, if they went into the epl they would probably have to instantly increase their stadiums to 70k because there would be such massive demand for season tickets. Rangers already have thousands on the waiting list for season tickets and that's in the spl. 

Both teams turnover would instantly double or treble if they where in the epl. 

You are honestly suggesting rangers and feynoord couldnt survive in the epl while clubs like crystal Palace and wolves can. 

I never said trophies are the single most important thing in defining the size of a club. There's various factors like fanbase size, stadium size, turnover/money, hardcore support, trophies won. These factors all contribute to the size of a club. Money is a huge factor but a team like Bournemouth or wba can have a larger turnover than benfica or galatasaray but it doesn't mean they are a bigger club. 

48 minutes ago, Malcolm said:

The queen's Park comparison is daft, they won some trophies over a hundred and thirty years ago when the formation of football was in its infancy. They have not won trophies in recent years(40/50 years) and have a tiny support. They don't fulfill any of the criteria for being a big club. Not sure why you have brought them into the discussion. 

1 hour ago, Malcolm said:

If managed properly rangers would do very well in the EPL because they'd have access to the pot of gold.

On 2/24/2021 at 8:09 AM, Toepoke said:

That's the nature of rumours. This one apparently did come from a source close to Clarke, we'll just have to wait and see...

There is no chance he wont be out manager in the summer.

I'm also not sure he would take the Celtic job even after that for obvious reasons but suppose money talks.

On 2/24/2021 at 11:01 AM, wanderer said:

also made it known that he wanted the Scotland job as it allowed him to continue living in London (which was part of the issue when he was at Killie)

Him living up here was no issue when he was at killie. His family are in saltcoats, his missus is from Ayrshire and he would commute between the two. 

Not as if his kids are babies, they are grown up with their own families. 

4 hours ago, RabtheBruce said:

As well as the points already raised in this thread, Celtic have announced they have a new Chief Executive, SRU’s Dominic McKay, starting in the summer, so unless he does an unlikely bit of moonlighting, they won’t appoint a new manager until after then. That would explain why Kennedy is interim for the rest of the season. I hope Clarke stays at Scotland. Celtic are likely to want a bigger name imo given Rangers have a big name in Gerrard.

Useless bit if trivia. McKay and Clarke (and me) went to the same school.

3 minutes ago, Squirrelhumper said:

Him living up here was no issue when he was at killie. His family are in saltcoats, his missus is from Ayrshire and he would commute between the two. 

Aye, but his Weans are down south with their ain Weans and it was the grandkids that were the pull....

I don't think he will go for it, he was sounded out for rangers before Gerrard mind, and didn't fancy it.  

14 minutes ago, Squirrelhumper said:

He gave a interview to Michael Grant back in November saying how he is settled in Berkshire (happy to spend his days fly fishing) and was not wanting to up root his family back to Scotland.

Edited by wanderer

13 minutes ago, wanderer said:

He gave a interview to Michael Grant back in November saying how he is settled in Berkshire (happy to spend his days fly fishing) and was not wanting to up root his family back to Scotland.

We should sack him on the basis he likes fly fishing although it didn’t surprise me....... or judge him on the size of his catch!

There has not been enough chat about whether Celtic is a big club or not. 

I am interested in anybody's view as to whether the Celtic job is as big as say the Villa, Southampton or Bristol job. And whether Mr Clarke could land such a whale/minnow. 

Off topic- I hope he stays with Scotland beyond the Euros, but if he does decide to go for another challenge then he can be proud of getting is back to a major tournament and I won't hold it against him.

20 minutes ago, RabtheBruce said:

Not necessarily trivial if McKay and Clarke are good friends and Celtic are genuinely interested in him 🤔

There is something like a 20 year age gap between the two and Dom is from Largs (while Steve is from Saltcoats), think going to same school is where link between the two starts and ends

5 minutes ago, wanderer said:

There is something like a 20 year age gap between the two and Dom is from Largs (while Steve is from Saltcoats), think going to same school is where link between the two starts and ends

Ah, right, thanks. Good, ‘cos I’d be gutted if Clarke left us now.

1 hour ago, wanderer said:

He was happy doing that before he took the killie job too and did that and it certainly wasnt for the cash.

Money talks. Not saying he'll be leaving anytime soon but if the right job comes up, isn't local, I'm pretty sure he'd take it.

Not that I'm saying Celtic is that job 

7 minutes ago, RabtheBruce said:

Ah, right, thanks. Good, ‘cos I’d be gutted if Clarke left us now.

Aye, Dom is only a couple of years older than me (Clarke is a year or two younger than my dad and they played football together when he was younger)

Was very active with the Largs sailing club, I think two of my mates brought him along to a couple of Scotland games years ago (used to see his face on the Largs-Glasgow train many times going up to Hampden)

I want Clarke to stay, but if he leaves then Scotland with a European championship is a far more attractive job than we have been for 20 years, so I would expect the applicants to be a few tiers above the likes of Rioch and Bobby Williamson, although Mcinnes might see this as his way out of Aberdeen. This is up for debate, and Clarke is a man etched in history of our national team but is he a good coach? We have been totally fortunate in two penalty shootouts that could have so easily not gone our way, plus the nations league failure. I am torn if he were to go. Celtic if this is legit will maybe allow him the Euros, but as people above have mentioned if we don't get 7 points in March then it also could lower our attractiveness and defeat my earlier point. 

How old is Walter Smith these days?