Aberdeen- The team that was - Football related - Discussion of non TA football - Tartan Army Message Board Jump to content

Aberdeen- The team that was

Β 

They were certainly the halcyon days of Scottish football, always thought my team St Mirren were very unlucky in that era from 79-85.

We had a fantastic side to watch, but unfortunately that coincided with the emergence of the β€œNew Firm”  along withΒ the Old Firm.

When Aberdeen won their first league title under Fergie we were in with a genuine chance of winning it with half a dozen games to go.

Unfortunately a 2-0 defeat at Pittodrie put paid to our challenge, that match sticks out on my mind for the thousands who were locked out, I was 15 at the time and we just managed to get in before they locked the turnstiles.

Great Days.Β 

33 minutes ago, Jersey Jim said:

Β 

They were certainly the halcyon days of Scottish football, always thought my team St Mirren were very unlucky in that era from 79-85.

We had a fantastic side to watch, but unfortunately that coincided with the emergence of the β€œNew Firm”  along withΒ the Old Firm.

When Aberdeen won their first league title under Fergie we were in with a genuine chance of winning it with half a dozen games to go.

Unfortunately a 2-0 defeat at Pittodrie put paid to our challenge, that match sticks out on my mind for the thousands who were locked out, I was 15 at the time and we just managed to get in before they locked the turnstiles.

Great Days.Β 

I remember Fergie had started building a good side at St.Mirren prior to taking over at Aberdeen and they kept it going for a good while after. If my memory serves me right you had Frank McGarvie, Tony Fitzpatrick, Peter Weir, Abercrombie? to name a few. Did you also have a goalkeeper called Billy Thomson who got capped?.

Was glad when Aberdeen signed Weir as he always played well against us. Billy Stark was another good one.

Good days!

6 hours ago, robbo cop said:

I remember Fergie had started building a good side at St.Mirren prior to taking over at Aberdeen and they kept it going for a good while after. If my memory serves me right you had Frank McGarvie, Tony Fitzpatrick, Peter Weir, Abercrombie? to name a few. Did you also have a goalkeeper called Billy Thomson who got capped?.

Was glad when Aberdeen signed Weir as he always played well against us. Billy Stark was another good one.

Good days!

We were disappointed when you signed Weir and we got Ian Scanlon as part of a cash plus swap deal.

Scanlon turned out to be a much better player for us than Weir was, think he averagedΒ one in every three games he played for us, including the best goal I’ve ever seen, 2-0 down to Celtic came back to win 4-2, Scanlon scored the 4th with a volley from over 40 yards ( no exaggeration). (Sadly no tv coverage exists)Β 

Weir improved massively at Aberdeen so it was a good swap for both clubs.Β 

8 hours ago, Jersey Jim said:

Β 

Great Days.Β 

Aye, wasn't just Aberdeen & Utd.Β St Mirren were a good team, then you had a young Hearts team breaking through. Great times, first time I got to Glasgow was for the St Mirren semi-final in '82. We also signed the great finisher McDougall, sure he said he'd lost quite a few semi-finals in his time with you?

5 hours ago, Big Ramy 1314 said:

Good Luck tonight Bhoys... COYBIG !!!πŸ΄σ §σ ’σ ³σ £σ ΄σ ΏπŸ΄σ §σ ’σ ³σ £σ ΄σ ΏπŸ΄σ §σ ’σ ³σ £σ ΄σ Ώβ€β€β€πŸ’‹πŸ’‹

This chat is about Aberdeen the team that was nae the team from paradise lost πŸ₯΄