Scotland vs Israel - Match Thread [08/10/2020] - Page 15 - TA specific - Tartan Army Message Board Jump to content

Scotland vs Israel - Match Thread [08/10/2020]

Clyde1998

11 minutes ago, ErsatzThistle said:

He said that our players were "scared" of Israel and that they really deserve to be through to the next round instead of us.

They were more composed and comfortable in possession and had more of it as a result. We got into the more dangerous positions and came closer to scoring and held our nerve better in the shoot-out so we deserve it. 

Late to the party but still absolutely over the moon getting through last night. To be one game away from a major tournament for the first time in 17 years is exciting.

Being blunt it is difficult to watch. However I can see why Clarke has gone 3/5 at the back - we conceded 19 goals in 10 games (8 if you discount San Marino) last campaign which is never going to get you through. Indeed over our last three qualifying campaigns and the first Nations League, we conceded 47 goals in 34 games. That record has to be changed and the 5 at the back is an attempt to both do that and fit in Robertson and Tierney. So I can accept that and go with it, too often we have watched Ireland shitfest their way to major tournaments while we have sat at home.

Where we struggled both last month against the same opponents and last night is the passive nature of the passing of our central midfield. Jack and McGregor do not pass the ball not carry the ball forward anywhere near enough, which allowed Israel to setup behind the ball with consummate ease. Only did we stretch them when Fraser came on.

Couple that with struggling wing backs and it led to a total lack of creativity. SOD is a trier but an international level player he is not. Robertson struggled against Dasa who was outstanding last night.

Dykes and McBurnie escape critical words from me due to the pitiful service they received.

Positively last night, Marshall was superb and the three centre halves were outstanding to a man in snuffing out Zahavi and Dabbur. To cough up one massive chance in 120 minutes is very commendable. Even McTominay looked comfortable last night.

The penalties by us were superb, great composure shown by all of them. Marshall was just fantastic.

It was a night that will bond this team closer together and give them confidence.

It may have been turgid but the same again in Belgrade would do me nicely.

10 hours ago, Bristolhibby said:

And also their lad Dasa had a great game, linked up well with Abu Fani (snigger) on our left when he came on. 

Robertson was getting nothing out of that flank.

J

He looks like a decent player, had Robertson both games

10 hours ago, vanderark14 said:

There unity and passion growing in that team. I just wish we could have been in the stands with them

Still poor all in, and that would have been both stressful and really fucking cold to watch

11 hours ago, BucksburnDandy said:

Late to the party but still absolutely over the moon getting through last night. To be one game away from a major tournament for the first time in 17 years is exciting.

Being blunt it is difficult to watch. However I can see why Clarke has gone 3/5 at the back - we conceded 19 goals in 10 games (8 if you discount San Marino) last campaign which is never going to get you through. Indeed over our last three qualifying campaigns and the first Nations League, we conceded 47 goals in 34 games. That record has to be changed and the 5 at the back is an attempt to both do that and fit in Robertson and Tierney. So I can accept that and go with it, too often we have watched Ireland shitfest their way to major tournaments while we have sat at home.

Where we struggled both last month against the same opponents and last night is the passive nature of the passing of our central midfield. Jack and McGregor do not pass the ball not carry the ball forward anywhere near enough, which allowed Israel to setup behind the ball with consummate ease. Only did we stretch them when Fraser came on.

Couple that with struggling wing backs and it led to a total lack of creativity. SOD is a trier but an international level player he is not. Robertson struggled against Dasa who was outstanding last night.

Dykes and McBurnie escape critical words from me due to the pitiful service they received.

Positively last night, Marshall was superb and the three centre halves were outstanding to a man in snuffing out Zahavi and Dabbur. To cough up one massive chance in 120 minutes is very commendable. Even McTominay looked comfortable last night.

The penalties by us were superb, great composure shown by all of them. Marshall was just fantastic.

It was a night that will bond this team closer together and give them confidence.

Never a truer word said. You have it spot on. I seen more comraderay at the end of the shoot out than I have seen in the last 5 years. Hope this does help build confidence. 

24 minutes ago, stitch said:

Never a truer word said. You have it spot on. I seen more comraderay at the end of the shoot out than I have seen in the last 5 years. Hope this does help build confidence. 

Penalty shoot-outs do let us see more team unity though. It may look like something new/different but it is just because we have never had a penalty shoot-out before.

12 hours ago, BucksburnDandy said:

Yep. 100% correct.

I said pretty much the same thing.