Euro 2020 - Page 2 - TA specific - Tartan Army Message Board Jump to content

Euro 2020

Brian Hanley

4 hours ago, todd said:

And fuckin ridiculous too, at least we earned our play off spot!  Bottom of their nations league group, 0 points and scored 2 goals yet fate will conspire to get them to the euros whilst we watch from home 😡

They earned their play off place by getting into League B in the first place. We weren't good enough to do that.

5 hours ago, todd said:

And fuckin ridiculous too, at least we earned our play off spot!  Bottom of their nations league group, 0 points and scored 2 goals yet fate will conspire to get them to the euros whilst we watch from home 😡

They did have a more difficult group than us to be fair. 

10 hours ago, Orraloon said:

They earned their play off place by getting into League B in the first place. We weren't good enough to do that.

What's with the northern Ireland love in? They're like the fuckin messiah in this place! Yeah, we're shit, they're great 😴

10 hours ago, Orraloon said:

Does this therefore mean we've already earned our playoff place for the next tournament as we are now in league B? 

Just now, todd said:

What's with the northern Ireland love in? They're like the fuckin messiah in this place! Yeah, we're shit, they're great 😴

Nobody said anything about loving them or even liking them. But it's not too difficult to work out that they have been better than us over the past few years. I wouldn't go as far as saying they are great. But they have been less shit than we have.

2 minutes ago, todd said:

Does this therefore mean we've already earned our playoff place for the next tournament as we are now in league B? 

No, different rules next time. For a start the next tournament is the WC, not the EC, so less places for European teams.

2 hours ago, Orraloon said:

No, different rules next time. For a start the next tournament is the WC, not the EC, so less places for European teams.

So northern Ireland 'earned' their place in the playoffs because they happened to be in league B in a European championship year rather than a world cup year?

5 minutes ago, todd said:

So northern Ireland 'earned' their place in the playoffs because they happened to be in league B in a European championship year rather than a world cup year?

Yeah, because their previous performances and results earned them that seeding.

The leagues weren't randomly drawn, the seedlings were based on, and therefore earned, by previous results.

Edited by dohadeer

I saw an interesting quote from Michael O'Neill at the weekend.    He was making the point - in comparing Scotland to Northern Ireland - that Scotland had four midfielders that were good enough to play international football but that in total they had less caps than Corry Evans had on his own.   His point was that sometimes having a much smaller pool - as NI have - means you can have greater consistency of selection.   

You see the same with Wales who then have the benefit of having a couple of genuine quality players in addition.

On ‎11‎/‎18‎/‎2019 at 6:46 PM, todd said:

I'd rather be in our shoes than theirs.  Although they are performing better than us right now, their playoff will be against sides quite a bit more difficult that ours.  Ours won't be easy but if we had the teams NI are likely to face we'd have very little chance indeed, especially if playing the semi away as NI are likely to be doing, depending on the draw of course.

1 hour ago, Bobby Russell's Lovechild said:

If Wales win at home (unbeaten at home in three) against Hungary, they're through. I think they will be there too

I don’t ever remember a situation like this before, where a 3-way qualification battle came down to one single match, and was evenly split between the three possible outcomes. (A home win sees Wales through, draw Slovakia through, and away win puts Hungary through.)

Really exciting and unusual way to conclude a group.

Edited by dohadeer

• 2 months later...
On 11/19/2019 at 7:15 PM, DaveyDenoon said:

I'd rather be in our shoes than theirs.  Although they are performing better than us right now, their playoff will be against sides quite a bit more difficult that ours.  Ours won't be easy but if we had the teams NI are likely to face we'd have very little chance indeed, especially if playing the semi away as NI are likely to be doing, depending on the draw of course.

You were right at the time but now I'd swap our path for theirs, Bosnia and ROI, I'd fancy our chances against both of them.  Arguably our first game against Israel is better than Bosnia but the potential second game? I'd take ROI/Slovakia at home over Norway/Serbia away every day of the week!

Edited by todd