Snodgrass still involved with Scotland?.. - Page 3 - TA specific - Tartan Army Message Board Jump to content

Snodgrass still involved with Scotland?..

Guest ElChris04

15 minutes ago, wee-toon-red said:

I don’t claim to know anything about Snoddy’s circumstances but in general terms, if three managers have a problem with a player, at what point do we consider that it might actually be him that’s the issue?

To clarify I'm not saying the last 3 managers as in McLeish, Strachan(who picked him regularly and was a mainstay of the team) or Levein.  I was meaning the last trio of coaching staff as in McLeish, Grant and McFadden and their apparent lack of compassion shown to Snodgrass. 

3 hours ago, BremnerLorimerGray said:

There was certainly an issue regarding his family and being called up then not used.  Going by the (alleged) details, he was treated pretty shabbily by the last trio of baw sacks which led to his hiatus from recent squads.

I'd be surprised if he has forgiven the SFA for that episode, though I would be happy enough if Steve Clarke talks him back round.

Why would he need to forgive the SFA? 

I'm led to believe that Snodgrass is one of the senior players that was annoyed at being left out by MacKay (v Netherlands) and then the South America trip, after leaving arranging his summer break around it, after MacKay had told McLeish to work with the players he'd called up for the game against the Dutch.

I didn't want McLeish to get the job but that South America trip set him off to the worst possible start, and I think MM had a bag part to play in that.  

Edited by PASTA Mick

2 minutes ago, PASTA Mick said:

I'm led to believe that Snodgrass is one of the senior players that was annoyed at being left out by MacKay (v Netherlands) and then the South America trip, after leaving arranging his summer break around it, after MacKay had told McLeish to work with the players he'd called up for the game against the Dutch.

I didn't want McLeish to get the job but that South America trip set him off to the worst possible start, and I think MM had a bag part to play in that.  

You’re saying McLeish never got to pick the squad he wanted? 🤔

3 minutes ago, McTeeko said:

You’re saying McLeish never got to pick the squad he wanted? 🤔

I think that MM will have influenced the direction of the first squad.  This article is worth a quick read - https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/41937222.  I'm struggling to find the exact quote but I remember him talking about the next manager using the squad he picked for the Netherlands match as the starting point for the next manager.   You can see that initial squad here - https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/41796933 (changes were made before the game).

McLeish never got close to the squad he would have liked to have picked for South America.  Do you really think Stevenson, Hendry, Morgan, Cadden, McGeouch and Murphy would have been included if he'd gone with the strongest players we have?  He was without a lot of the Celtic players due to the early Champions League start but several senior players were left out - McArthur, Snodgrass, Ritchie, C.Martin - players that had featured a lot under Strachan.  

That tour was a shambles and set McLeish off to the worst possible start as we lost two matches and he seemed to loose the dressing room very quickly.  

16 minutes ago, PASTA Mick said:

I think that MM will have influenced the direction of the first squad.  This article is worth a quick read - https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/41937222.  I'm struggling to find the exact quote but I remember him talking about the next manager using the squad he picked for the Netherlands match as the starting point for the next manager.   You can see that initial squad here - https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/41796933 (changes were made before the game).

McLeish never got close to the squad he would have liked to have picked for South America.  Do you really think Stevenson, Hendry, Morgan, Cadden, McGeouch and Murphy would have been included if he'd gone with the strongest players we have?  He was without a lot of the Celtic players due to the early Champions League start but several senior players were left out - McArthur, Snodgrass, Ritchie, C.Martin - players that had featured a lot under Strachan.  

That tour was a shambles and set McLeish off to the worst possible start as we lost two matches and he seemed to loose the dressing room very quickly.  

Aye it was a very poor squad and the trip was a complete waste of time, but I can’t really see MM dictating who McLeish could’ve picked (granted, he never had a good choice and was left with ‘reserves’). 

2 minutes ago, McTeeko said:

Aye it was a very poor squad and the trip was a complete waste of time, but I can’t really see MM dictating who McLeish could’ve picked (granted, he never had a good choice and was left with ‘reserves’). 

Do you not think it a bit strange that he left out all the same Strachan regulars that MM left out? 

I find it hard to believe that McLeish would have ripped up the Strachan squad had he been appointed before the game against the Dutch.  The Strachan squad needed a bit of work but not to the lengths that MM/AM went to.  

1 hour ago, ErsatzThistle said:

I wouldn't be shedding any tears if that fud Mackay was told to find a new job shortly.

I don't think many people would be upset if he left.

It's worrying the amount of youth players switching to other countries without any attempt by the SFA to stop them. Surely that is something MM should be looking at.