Snodgrass still involved with Scotland?.. - TA specific - Tartan Army Message Board Jump to content

Snodgrass still involved with Scotland?..

Guest ElChris04

Guest ElChris04

Thought this was worth posting. 1. Steve Clarke mentioned there was players he spoke to that had wedding plans which couldn’t be changed so this basically all but confirms one of which was Snodgrass who I guess is still involved with Scotland set up and hasn’t retired from international duty? And 2.. Robertson has just won the champions league and has still remembered to congratulate Snodgrass on his wedding. Top man haha. 

Snodgrass has never retired from international football but he hasn’t exactly been committed to playing for us recently. I’m pretty sure he must be one the players who had a bit of a bust up or disagreement with McLeish.

I’m guessing he never had any intention of being involved in our games this month since he arranged his wedding for this week. 

If he is now happy to play under Clarke then I would imagine he’ll be in the next squad if he’s fit. 

14 minutes ago, bigfingers said:

I think he has a wedding during these games coming up. 

He does. Not really much of an excuse though is it?

If I was a Scotland international I’d have booked my wedding in late June.

14 minutes ago, Texas Pete said:

Maybe he booked the wedding 2 years in advance thinking his scotland days would be done by now. 

Edited by bigfingers

17 minutes ago, bigfingers said:

Maybe he booked the wedding 2 years in advance thinking his scotland days would be done by now. 

I doubt he would have thought that. 

He probably booked it without any thought of internationals same as Fleck. 

20 minutes ago, Texas Pete said:

I doubt he would have thought that. 

He probably booked it without any thought of internationals same as Fleck. 

Flecks not really been in the reckoning until recently tbf. Overall I don't think either are that big a loss. 

25 minutes ago, bigfingers said:

Flecks not really been in the reckoning until recently tbf. Overall I don't think either are that big a loss. 

Aye Fleck probably assumed he wouldn’t be involved. Shows a lack of ambition really. 

I think Snodgrass would probably have started if he had been available but Fleck probably wouldn’t have. 

Neither would have made the difference between winning or losing our next two games though so as you say, no big loss.  

7 hours ago, Texas Pete said:

Clubs are all back in pre season in late June so that wouldn’t be possible, this period is pretty much the only time of the year a player knows they’ll be off now.

Quite harsh especially considering the qualifying fixtures weren’t known till 6 months ago as well.

8 hours ago, Texas Pete said:

Aye Fleck probably assumed he wouldn’t be involved. Shows a lack of ambition really. 

I think Snodgrass would probably have started if he had been available but Fleck probably wouldn’t have. 

Neither would have made the difference between winning or losing our next two games though so as you say, no big loss.  

How do you know neither would make the difference between winning and losing

Both could easily have arranged their weddings a little later to also fit in international duty

4 hours ago, BraveheartGordon said:

Clubs are all back in pre season in late June so that wouldn’t be possible, this period is pretty much the only time of the year a player knows they’ll be off now.

Quite harsh especially considering the qualifying fixtures weren’t known till 6 months ago as well.

The fixtures weren’t known but there is always international football in the first two weeks of June every two years. It wouldn’t have been difficult to work out. 

1 hour ago, Bino's said:

How do you know neither would make the difference between winning and losing

Both could easily have arranged their weddings a little later to also fit in international duty

Well I don’t know for sure but I don’t ever remember Snodgrass being the difference in any of the games he’s played. 

Both are replaceable was the point I was making. 

1 hour ago, Texas Pete said:

Well I don’t know for sure but I don’t ever remember Snodgrass being the difference in any of the games he’s played. 

Both are replaceable was the point I was making. 

Zagreb 2013.

Ljubljana 2017.

1 minute ago, Barney Rubble said:

Footballers are human beings first and foremost, not automatons.

They have a right to a private life as well, even if they are in the public eye.

Some on this thread appear to believe these guys are public property.

Why didn't he arrange his wedding in the middle of the season

He's a right to a private life

3 minutes ago, Marky said:

When I was arranging all 3 of my weddings, I can honestly say I never gave a second thought to my work, particularly any part time work I may or may not have been doing at the time. 

I'm not surprised - arranging one wedding requires the intervention of the United Nations to mediate, so arranging three simultaneously must have required the patience of the Holy Ghost and then some.

12 minutes ago, Barney Rubble said:

Footballers are human beings first and foremost, not automatons.

They have a right to a private life as well, even if they are in the public eye.

Some on this thread appear to believe these guys are public property.

Of course they have a right to a private life. That doesn’t mean they can’t plan ahead. 

Obviously Snodgrass wasn’t bothered about potentially playing for Scotland in June this year. That’s up to him. Plenty of other players would have arranged their wedding for 15th June in case they were selected. Everyone is different.

10 minutes ago, Marky said:

When I was arranging all 3 of my weddings, I can honestly say I never gave a second thought to my work, particularly any part time work I may or may not have been doing at the time. 

Unless you’re a professional footballer it’s hardly the same thing. 

Unless you have a close season in your job?

3 minutes ago, Texas Pete said:

Of course they have a right to a private life. That doesn’t mean they can’t plan ahead. 

Obviously Snodgrass wasn’t bothered about potentially playing for Scotland in June this year. That’s up to him. Plenty of other players would have arranged their wedding for 15th June in case they were selected. Everyone is different.

Nonsense.

Who is anyone on this forum to adjudicate when a footballer chooses to get married?

Are you going to tell them when they can arrange their kids to be born?

Edited by Barney Rubble

2 minutes ago, Barney Rubble said:

Nonsense.

Who is anyone on this forum to adjudicate when a footballer chooses to get married?

Nonsense? 

We obviously have different opinions. That doesn’t make mine nonsense.

I have already stated it’s up to him when he gets married. It does indicate he’s not all that bothered about playing for Scotland though. As does his numerous call offs over the last couple of years. 

If he was fully committed to Scotland he would likely have arranged his wedding for another time. It’s up to him what he does though. 

12 minutes ago, Barney Rubble said:

Nonsense.

Are you going to tell them when they can arrange their kids to be born?

Firstly, that’s hardly the same thing. 

Secondly, I am not trying to tell anyone when to do anything. 

All I have suggested is players who are committed to playing for their country would probably arrange their wedding for a date when they knew there would be no games. 

In fairness to Snodgrass he might not even have given it a second thought and just assumed we wouldn’t be playing or something. I’m sure plenty of other players would have realised that we would likely be playing a competitive match and arranged their weddings accordingly. As I mentioned already, everyone is different and it’s hardly crime of the century.

I can almost guarantee that there will be no England players missing their match against the Netherlands because they’re getting married though.