Remember what Iceland did - TA specific - Tartan Army Message Board Jump to content

Remember what Iceland did

robbo cop

Being honest it will be hard to get anything from the game on Saturday but I take heart that it was not long ago that Iceland did England over, and the fact that we were on top in the Wembley game before England scored gives out some hope along with our last performance v Slovakia when we played well.

At the end of the day every game apart from the draw against Lithuania was predictable enough, so I reckon we are two points worse off than we should be so any point or points tomorrow are welcome. At least that gets England out the way who are far and above the best team in the group but can still have a bad day. Let's hope this happens and we put on a show.

I'd say we are 3 behind where we should be, if we're serious about qualifying. 2 dropped against Lithuania and at least a point from a poor Slovakia side.

Win on Saturday and we're back on track. Full house which will hopefully be rocking, possibly more than half the team having just won a domestic treble unbeaten and the fact the game probably means more to us are the reasons I'm clinging to when arguing for us causing an upset but the reality is that if both teams play to their capabilities then England will win. 

The big difference between the teams at Wembley was that England had two unbelievable finishes to put them two ahead, and we fluffed our lines when we got chances. There's no certainty of those two factors being in play again at Hampden though, so no reason why we can't hope to nick something on Saturday. A lot depends on how England turn up for this one, they often seem to perform poorly in the summer and don't have a brilliant record in friendlies. This isn't a friendly, but hopefully there's a motivational issue for them in this one off game after the season's already finished. I go into every game convincing myself that we have a chance, but I definitely think there's three points available on Saturday and we need to claim them.

50 minutes ago, COLT NY said:

The big difference between the teams at Wembley was that England had two unbelievable finishes to put them two ahead, and we fluffed our lines when we got chances. There's no certainty of those two factors being in play again at Hampden though, so no reason why we can't hope to nick something on Saturday. A lot depends on how England turn up for this one, they often seem to perform poorly in the summer and don't have a brilliant record in friendlies. This isn't a friendly, but hopefully there's a motivational issue for them in this one off game after the season's already finished. I go into every game convincing myself that we have a chance, but I definitely think there's three points available on Saturday and we need to claim them.

Dont talk p1sh. England did not have 2 unbelievable finishes in that game.

It's all going to hinge on how we deal with them, we try and play football with them we will lose, we need to get on there, Hampden, OOR home pitch, and get about them. Don't give them a second to settle, kick them up and down the park. EASY

8 minutes ago, Bzzzz said:

It's all going to hinge on how we deal with them, we try and play football with them we will lose, we need to get on there, Hampden, OOR home pitch, and get about them. Don't give them a second to settle, kick them up and down the park. EASY

Agree. Hacking i think its called.

The performance of tiny Iceland against England can certainly give us confidence. What gives me more confidence though is England's away performances in the group so far where they were poor but scored a last minute goal to beat Slovakia 1-0 and were lucky to get a 0-0 away to Slovenia. Hopefully it's been too much of a break for them to keep themselves at 100% and we'll take advantage.