Diddums - Page 6 - Football related - Discussion of non TA football - Tartan Army Message Board Jump to content

Just now, Blackpool78 said:

Celtic gave £2 million to Dundee Utd

Did they? Just out of charity? The spirit of Brother Walfrid lives on.,.. 

Naw, they took Utd's 3 best players for that money. 

• Replies 168
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

2 minutes ago, adamntg said:

You're right, Celtic have got where they are without cheating and good luck to them.

However, the rewards for what they have achieved are so massively lop-sided that it has destroyed Scottish football as entertainment.  £30m for playing in the Champions League?  Fine, it's within the rules.  The rules are crazy.

If somebody doesn't take a look at the bigger picture then the game will die.  And possibly Celtic with it.

I don't disagree

2 minutes ago, Parklife said:

Couldn't have been listening then. As very few folk every thought anything other than Celtic's resources are just too great for Aberdeen to maintain the level of form required over 38 games,. 

You're probably correct. A split of all gate money would be a start though. 60/40 in favour of a home team, after costs. 

:lol: You're a bit simple. 

might be a bit simple but i would never suggest my club trying to create a level playing field to try winning the league, would rather just accept they aint as good as other clubs 

3 minutes ago, Blackpool78 said:

Celtic gave £2 million to Dundee Utd a couple of season and did they spend that wisely?

It was £3m for United's best three players and it went on repaying debts ran up while trying to hold on desperately to the runaway gravy train....

Approximately one tenth of what Celtic were given for playing in the Champions League.  

4 minutes ago, Blackpool78 said:

might be a bit simple but i would never suggest my club trying to create a level playing field to try winning the league, would rather just accept they aint as good as other clubs 

Tell that to Lawwell.  A lot of you guys seem happy to live by the law of the jungle, survival of the fittest, tell him to stop whinging that it's not fair when even bigger boys won't let your wee team play.

For the record, that's not hypocrisy on my part.  Football, both domestically and in Europe needs radical change.  I would start by abolishing the Champions League altogether and replacing it with something more sporting.  

Just now, adamntg said:

For the record, that's not hypocrisy on my part.  Football, both domestically and in Europe needs radical change.  I would start by abolishing the Champions League altogether and replacing it with something more sporting.  

I think most football fans in Europe would agree with that. 

Bring back the European cup, league winners only played over 2 legs and an equal share of prize/tv money and stick the 2/3rd place teams back into the UEFA cup which in turn improves that tournament again. Each team competing in Europe then splits the money they made equally with every club in their domestic league.

Nice romantic idea, but not going to happen because UEFA don't care about competition. They care about ££.  Same goes for those in charge of the clubs.

32 minutes ago, Reevesy said:

It's only a problem when the Tims are on top, for the media at least.

Succulent lamb scoffing bastards used to report Murray's Moonbeams with total excitement but now our dominance  (which is achieved without cheating) is seen as destroying Scottish football.

They go along with the same club myth now yet they had hearses outside Celtic park when we were in trouble. If Sevco flip the situation on us then everything will be rosy again.

GET.IT.UP.THEM

Who in the media has been saying that Celtic's dominance is destroying Scottish Football?

8 minutes ago, Reevesy said:

I think most football fans in Europe would agree with that. 

Bring back the European cup, league winners only played over 2 legs and an equal share of prize/tv money and stick the 2/3rd place teams back into the UEFA cup which in turn improves that tournament again. Each team competing in Europe then splits the money they made equally with every club in their domestic league.

Nice romantic idea, but not going to happen because UEFA don't care about competition. They care about ££.  Same goes for those in charge of the clubs.

I don't really mind clubs keeping prize money as long as it's not £30m for first place and a pocket of smash for the rest.  That's what's totally wrong.

15 minutes ago, Fairbairn said:

Who in the media has been saying that Celtic's dominance is destroying Scottish Football?

The daily record and the sun journos almost on a daily basis and they have wheeled out several ex hun players in recent months.

Chris Graham, the rubber lipped fud, even tweeted that Celtic fans must now be bored with it :lol:

Edited by Reevesy

4 minutes ago, Blackpool78 said:

When did Celtic ever get £30 million for finishing first place in scottish football??

I don't think you've been paying attention.

If they did get £30m for qualifying for the Champions League, would you consider that wrong?  (I know, I know, you're splitting hairs between winning the league and qualifying for the CL, I'm ignoring that as it's neither here nor there)

Edited by adamntg

35 minutes ago, adamntg said:

It was £3m for United's best three players and it went on repaying debts ran up while trying to hold on desperately to the runaway gravy train....

Approximately one tenth of what Celtic were given for playing in the Champions League.  

3 minutes ago, Reevesy said:

The daily record and the sun journos almost on a daily basis and they have wheeled out several ex hun players in recent months.

Chris Graham, the rubber lipped fud, even tweeted that Celtic fans must now be bored with it :lol:

So a few bitter huns are moaning about it? almost every other fan outside the old firm has been moaning about the lack of competition for the last 20 years. The old firm simply grew too big when money become the the most important factor in football.

3 minutes ago, adamntg said:

I don't think you've been paying attention.

If they did get £30m for qualifying for the Champions League, would you consider that wrong?  (I know, I know, you're splitting hairs between winning the league and qualifying for the CL, I'm ignoring that as it's neither here nor there)

you think?:lol:

8 minutes ago, Blackpool78 said:

Celtic have won the league and they dont get 30 million each season for winning it as they have to earn the right to get into the champions league group stages and the rewards that come with it 

Ok, let's go with that.  If Celtic got £30m for winning the league and then progressing through a couple of preliminary rounds, would you consider that disproportionate and likely to destabilise the sport in Scotland as a whole if nobody else can earn even a tiny percentage of that amount?

On 16/02/2017 at 1:54 PM, adamntg said:

Maybe Celtic should try and put Scottish football right before they go moaning about their crumbs from the big table being confiscated?

If we had a league where any of four or five teams could potentially win it, as we did the 80s, maybe the domestic crowds would go up, the TV money would go up, the national team would improve and Celtic could then turn round say to UEFA "no fair".  Until then Celtic havenae a leg to stand on.

Jesus weeped. What else are Celtic to blame for? Brexit, the rise of the alt right, the gentrification of Duke Street, the lot.

6 minutes ago, Blackpool78 said:

Glad we have cleared that up but to make things fair we need to stop getting into the champions league and split the gate money......just to clear it up does that include season books or just paying for single tickets?

I don't think you have any interest in discussing this dispassionately, reasonably or seeing anybody's point of view apart from your own so there's not much point continuing.  Hail Hail.

Just now, adamntg said:

I don't think you have any interest in discussing this dispassionately, reasonably or seeing anybody's point of view apart from your own so there's not much point continuing.  Hail Hail.

I just cant get my head round what you are wanting for it to be a level playing field

3 minutes ago, Blackpool78 said:

I just cant get my head round what you are wanting for it to be a level playing field

That's ok, it's not likely to happen any time soon anyway.  It was just ideas as to how we could improve Scottish football which, I think we agree, is moribund.

The problem is we are so far ahead of the others you would have to seriously handicap Celtic to create genuine competition. If we are talking about fairness here then that simply isn't. Some things could be done and some have been suggested on here but they would have to be equitable, long term and sustainable....there's no quick fix. Even then you are relying on some of the clowns running our clubs using the extra money wisely. ?

Personally I would ditch the TV deal unless Sky can be persuaded to get much more generous. Get our stadiums full and you'll get moving the right way again. We also need our biggest clubs back in the top flight asap, Hibs, United Dunfermline etc but no one can do it for them.