Diddums - Page 4 - Football related - Discussion of non TA football - Tartan Army Message Board Jump to content

I would be in favour of a central fund that all clubs contribute a percentage of revenue to. The principal aim would be of youth development and some protection that young stars are given time to develop at their parent clubs and adequate compensation being paid in the event of them moving on.

The problem with a lot of these suggestions is that they have a subsidy junky feel to them. It's not Celtics fault we have a well run club in rude financial health and people forget it's come at a cost at times to get where we are.

Also, can those who run these clubs be trusted with additional money? These are the clubs who pissed away the TV money and easy credit when times were good. These are the men who voted for the disastrous Setanta deal. Look at the omnishambles that is Ibrox!

I'm in favour of something that will help competitiveness but some of the stuff that is being spoken about here is intrinsically unfair. The notion that I would buy a Celtic kit, season book and pools etc only to see half of it go into a kitty to be pissed away by the likes of Steven Thomson is utterly ridiculous!

Edited by slasher

• Replies 168
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

2 minutes ago, slasher said:

I would be in favour of a central fund that all clubs contribute a percentage of revenue to. The principal aim would be of youth development and some protection that young stars are given time to develop at their parent clubs and adequate compensation being paid in the event of them moving on.

The problem with a lot of these suggestions is that they have a subsidy junky feel to them. It's not Celtics fault we have a well run club in rude financial health and people forget it's come at a cost at times to get where we are.

Also, can those who run these clubs be trusted with additional money? These are the clubs who pissed away the TV money and easy credit when times were good. These are the men who voted for the disastrous Setanta deal. Look at the omnishambles that is Ibrox!

I'm in favour of something that will help competitiveness but some of the stuff that is being spoken about here is intrinsically unfair. The notion that I would buy a Celtic kit, season book and pools etc only to see half of it go into a kitty to be pissed away by the likes Steven Thomson is utterly ridiculous!

the part in bold is exactly why nothing in scottish football and football worldwide will never change. We do not think as one, each club think only about themselves. 

The idea from adamtg is far too radical for scotland, it would create an extremely fair situation where we all start with one aim, winning the title.

4 minutes ago, Reevesy said:

True but Celtic and Rangers are always going to have more money in gate receipts. I don't know if they could even be told they were going to share that equally with other clubs from a legal point of view?

Given gate receipts were split equally until into the 1980s it's unlikely to be illegal.  Try reading this article and see if there's much in there to disagree with.

Most successful when gate receipts were split equitably

13 minutes ago, Reevesy said:

True but Celtic and Rangers are always going to have more money in gate receipts. I don't know if they could even be told they were going to share that equally with other clubs from a legal point of view?

They'll still have more money in gate receipts though... They play at bigger stadiums and get bigger crowds, so will get 50% of bigger games every home game. 

6 minutes ago, vanderark14 said:

the part in bold is exactly why nothing in scottish football and football worldwide will never change. We do not think as one, each club think only about themselves. 

The idea from adamtg is far too radical for scotland, it would create an extremely fair situation where we all start with one aim, winning the title.

No, in my opinion what he's talking about is manufacturing a level playing field by rewarding failure and incompetence. What's fair about that exactly?

7 minutes ago, slasher said:

I'm in favour of something that will help competitiveness but some of the stuff that is being spoken about here is intrinsically unfair. The notion that I would buy a Celtic kit, season book and pools etc only to see half of it go into a kitty to be pissed away by the likes of Steven Thomson is utterly ridiculous!

Why not introduce rules that say that clubs will have to account for what they spend pool money distributed from the central fund.  To be eligible to receive their league money they will have adhere to a salary cap related to their home attendance, they will need to show they have invested money in appropriate wages and in youth development.

Given we're talking about a sport that we all love we should all be striving to make it as healthy as possible.  The more competitive the league gets, the more TV money, sponsorship, European places will come in and everybody wins.  Celtic (for example) wouldn't make a penny in gate receipts if they didn't have a team to play.  Whether everyone that wants to attend is rooting for the home team is really academic, they're there to watch a game of football between two teams.

1 minute ago, slasher said:

No, in my opinion what he's talking about is manufacturing a level playing field by rewarding failure and incompetence. What's fair about that exactly?

whos being rewarded or being incompetent?

12 minutes ago, slasher said:

Absolutely not at all.  Somebody has to finish last.

And you could argue that rewarding the richest clubs with more money is just perpetuating the problem.  It's a sport - success on the pitch should be its own reward.

The SPFL currently gets around £20m in TV rights at the moment I believe.  Celtic - who probably have somewhere between 20 and 50 times the resources of almost all other clubs - take the largest share at nearly £4m. 

Imagine the boost to our game if, instead of handing over yet more money to Celtic that they could probably lose down the back of the sofa and not even notice, we were able to give every single professional club in the country £500,000.  And regulate to make sure they spent it "properly" - facilities, young players etc.  What a difference that money could make to local community clubs.

Edited by adamntg

1 minute ago, adamntg said:

And you could argue that rewarding the richest clubs with more money is just perpetuating the problem.

The SPFL currently gets around £20m in TV rights at the moment I believe.  Celtic - who probably have somewhere between 20 and 50 times the resources of almost all other clubs - take the largest share at nearly £4m. 

Imagine the boost to our game if, instead of handing over yet more money to Celtic that they could probably lose down the back of the sofa and not even notice, we were able to give every single professional club in the country £500,000.  And regulate to make sure they spent it "properly" - facilities, young players etc.  What a difference that money could make to local community clubs.

agreed, the money shouldn't be the reward because it only increases the gulf. The reward is winning the trophy/league. 

I'm not against an even share of TV money at all. I think you might find the likes of Stuart Milne would have a big problem taking any hit on his budget!

Stewart Milne is a fud, as are most people running Scottish football.  I mean, just look at the state of it.

Edited by adamntg

I'm not against an even share of TV money at all. I think you might find the likes of Stuart Milne would have a big problem taking any hit on his budget!

This is the problem, Milne did only what he thought was right for AFC and not for the greater good of scottish football. The same thing every single club in Scotland does over and over again and look at where its got us. 

3 minutes ago, adamntg said:

Stewart Milne is a fud, as are most people running Scottish football.  I mean, just look at the state of it.

That's kind of part of my point. Any additional money can't be at the disposal of club chairmen. And yet....How can it not be? 

You say write some rules? Yeah, we all know how good they are at that.

18 minutes ago, slasher said:

That's kind of part of my point. Any additional money can't be at the disposal of club chairmen. And yet....How can it not be? 

You say write some rules? Yeah, we all know how good they are at that.

Let's just pack it in then.  Trying is the first step to failure, eh?

Edited by adamntg

43 minutes ago, adamntg said:

And you could argue that rewarding the richest clubs with more money is just perpetuating the problem.  It's a sport - success on the pitch should be its own reward.

How much did each club get this season when Celtic made the group stage?

Just now, Blackpool78 said:

:lol::lol: so is that Celtic's fault

No but if you're trying to use it to insinuate that these extra monies and an increasing financial disparity are a good thing, then you're wrong IMO.