Four minutes and IRA songs - Page 4 - Football related - Discussion of non TA football - Tartan Army Message Board Jump to content

Four minutes and IRA songs

11 minutes ago, sbcmfc said:

Davie Cooper probably was a bigot, but he was from a different generation, he'd be in his 60s now.

:shocked:

Who knows but it's telling that in the 21 years since he died, no-one's come out with anything to prove that he was.

• Replies 186
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Did I mention cooper?

as I said lay off the drink. 

18 minutes ago, Fermer said:

Call Cooper or any other Scottish hero something like that kid. And put smiley faces as much as you want.  I wish Cooper was here to answer your wee smart arse comments.  But I will.  #####.

15 minutes ago, Fermer said:

And what to do is meet up over a pint.  I know the likes of Parkie and others who wind each other would.  They are genuine posters who wear hearts on sleeves.  But you have crossed a line about Cooper.

You really need to learn to read or stop posting when pished.

5 minutes ago, vanderark14 said:

Did I mention cooper?

as I said lay off the drink. 

You really need to learn to read or stop posting when pished.

I know ma pal.  But heroes of mine like Cooper upset the sheep.  i was at hampden when he burst the net in league cup final.  leighgon told him afterwards he got a hand to it.  Cooper said aye on the way back oot!!  Get over it.  My dram is almost gone and so are my wits x  Super Cooper x

7 minutes ago, aaid said:

Who knows but it's telling that in the 21 years since he died, no-one's come out with anything to prove that he was.

Like a mobile phone video of him singing the sash?

:lol:

7 minutes ago, Fermer said:

why probably?  did you know him?

Only met him once, my boyhood hero.

Just basing my opinion on Rangers players/fans of that era/generation. It was a different time, remember he played for Rangers a a time when they wouldn't sign Catholics.

1 minute ago, Fermer said:

I know ma pal.  But heroes of mine like Cooper upset the sheep.  i was at hampden when he burst the net in league cup final.  leighgon told him afterwards he got a hand to it.  Cooper said aye on the way back oot!!  Get over it.  My dram is almost gone and so are my wits x  Super Cooper x

I think you need to go back and look at who mentioned cooper.

1 hour ago, Mox said:

Davie Cooper was a rampant bigot ya mad whopper. You huns are on your own, no one is standing with you and rightly so.

24 minutes ago, sbcmfc said:

Davie Cooper probably was a bigot, but he was from a different generation, he'd be in his 60s now.

:shocked:

12 minutes ago, aaid said:

As a young lad I was in Davie's company on many an occasion and i can assure you he was not 

He had absolutely no time for anyone that mentioned any of that shit

Just now, vanderark14 said:

I think you need to go back and look at who mentioned cooper.

Apologies.  The Glenlivet is my excuse.  sbcmfc whatever that means.  So your argument is that anyone who signed for rangers before souness was a bigot?  Tell that to Jim Baxter and Jinky Johnstone.  Best pals and of course they might have sang the stupid songs.  But drink and being football genius can affect you.  Do you think Gascoigne was a bigot?

12 minutes ago, Fermer said:

Apologies.  The Glenlivet is my excuse.  sbcmfc whatever that means.  So your argument is that anyone who signed for rangers before souness was a bigot?  Tell that to Jim Baxter and Jinky Johnstone.  Best pals and of course they might have sang the stupid songs.  But drink and being football genius can affect you.  Do you think Gascoigne was a bigot?

I don't think a lot of them were genuinely bigots, ironically you could call them "sheep" who got caught up in all that nonsense. Terry Butcher has spoken up about this (much to the annoyance of a section of the Rangers support).

Anyway, I'm glad to hear I'd underestimated cooper and he rose above this, as it must've been hard to seperate yourself from that nonsense in his time.

2 minutes ago, BlueGaz said:

No, just very stupid.

yes.  must be great to not make mistakes.  And on the way becoming legends.  Baxter, best maradona etc.  But you remember them as just being stupid.  I will remember them as heroes.  With mistakes like all of us.  But each to their own.

4 minutes ago, Parklife said:

The guy is a fecking scumbag. The excuses folk make for him are pathetic. 

I dont think anyone making excuses.  My only point is he wasnt a bigot.  Just daft.  As far as calling him a scumbag then that's not nice and a bit of bile coming oot again.  You call him that if he played for dons and won league?  Interpretations pal.

26 minutes ago, Fermer said:

I dont think anyone making excuses.  My only point is he wasnt a bigot.  Just daft.  As far as calling him a scumbag then that's not nice and a bit of bile coming oot again.  You call him that if he played for dons and won league?  Interpretations pal.

Yeah. I'll call anyone who batters their wife a scumbag, regardless of what team they kicked a ball for. :ok: 

Guest BlueGaz
58 minutes ago, Parklife said:

The guy is a fecking scumbag. The excuses folk make for him are pathetic. 

Not making excuses for him. Take yer pish elsewhere fruit loop. 

Butcher wrote in his biography that Davie Cooper had been warned off by friends not to become involved with press conference saying Mo Johnstone was a good signing as he was a catholic. I have no idea about the veracity of the claims, but here they are verbatim (i believe) highlighted the relevant parts.

"Next day, the club wanted the Scottish and English players to hold a press conference to tell the media what a good signing he was.

There was no problem as far as [the English Players] Ray Wilkins, Chris Woods, Mark Walters, I and some others were concerned. But the Scottish players - Davie Cooper, Ian Ferguson, Ally McCoist, John Brown and the rest - declined because they had received so many calls from friends telling them not to become involved.

"Jimmy Bell didn't want to become involved at all.

"Mo [Johnstone] roomed with Ally McCoist, as he had done for the national team, and it was Jimmy's practice to put fresh kit outside everyone's room for the next day.

"But he refused to do so for Mo, just leaving Ally's, forcing Mo to go down three flights of stairs to the kit room to fetch his gear.

Mo did so stoically and without complaint. In fact, in the end he made a joke about it.

But this was a complete upheaval for the club. Even at meal-times there were a number of Scots who would not sit with him.

What had happened to the moral high ground claimed by Rangers?

They always used to say it was Celtic who were intolerant and unable to cope with the mixing of religions. Wrong. "

Edited by phart

Guest BlueGaz
28 minutes ago, Parklife said:

That's exactly what you did :ok: 

I said he wasnt a bigot, which he isn't, but called him stupid, which i think he is.  how that is sticking up for him i do not know.  it is more that you feel the need to comment than anything else.  keep going boots.  

Just now, BlueGaz said:

I said he wasnt a bigot, which he isn't, but called him stupid, which i think he is.  how that is sticking up for him i do not know. 

I said it;s making excuses for him. You're saying that despite behaving like a bigot, he is not a bigot, he;s just stupid. Is he so stupid that he doesn't know the what he's doing or what it means? No, i don't believe so. 

The guy is a wife-battering, bigoted scumbag. 

Guest BlueGaz
1 minute ago, Parklife said:

I said it;s making excuses for him. You're saying that despite behaving like a bigot, he is not a bigot, he;s just stupid. Is he so stupid that he doesn't know the what he's doing or what it means? No, i don't believe so. 

The guy is a wife-battering, bigoted scumbag. 

You also behave like a bigot sometimes, but I don't think you are a bigot.  But I get your post.  I still think he is very stupid though.

Just now, BlueGaz said:

You also behave like a bigot sometimes

Care to clarify this complete piece of slanderous fantasy? Where and when have i behaved like a bigot? 

Guest BlueGaz
2 minutes ago, Parklife said:

Care to clarify this complete piece of slanderous fantasy? Where and when have i behaved like a bigot? 

slanderous :lol::lol:

So you are always tolerant of those holding other view points?  :lol::lol: