Better Options at Centre Back? - Page 5 - TA specific - Tartan Army Message Board Jump to content

Better Options at Centre Back?

Super_Scotlandfan

Just now, Ormond said:

I am basing it on a player who is not even good enough to hold down a place at a lower tier English side. The guy gets no game time for a reason. He is pish. You saying someone is a quality player who cannot get gametime for his club is laughable. 

I wouldn't call Newcastle a lower tier English side. They are in that position just now because but they throw crazy cash about and their squad is pretty impressive for the level they are playing at (Winning nearly every game bar a handful). He performed half decent for Blackburn over a few seasons and was bought as a squad player to see out a long demanding season. He isn't getting game time and should be nowhere near the Scotland starting 11, he isn't good enough but he would still walk into the Saints team.

• Replies 110
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

2 minutes ago, ProudScot said:

You're right he isn't good enough for Southampton.

Hanley, although pish, would walk into all SPL defences - St Johnstone included.

Ah, ProudScot who is anything but proud with his incessant love for anything English connected. Your opinion means hee-haw to most on here who have a clue about fitba'.

2 minutes ago, calmc92 said:

I wouldn't call Newcastle a lower tier English side. They are in that position just now because but they throw crazy cash about and their squad is pretty impressive for the level they are playing at (Winning nearly every game bar a handful). He performed half decent for Blackburn over a few seasons and was bought as a squad player to see out a long demanding season. He isn't getting game time and should be nowhere near the Scotland starting 11, he isn't good enough but he would still walk into the Saints team.

Newcastle are a lower tier English side. Like it or lump it, that's the truth. Hanley can't even get a game for a lower tier team. 

5 minutes ago, Ormond said:

Newcastle are a lower tier English side. Like it or lump it, that's the truth. Hanley can't even get a game for a lower tier team. 

Some people fail to realise there's a jump in quality between certain leagues/players and just because someone is in form or playing consistently for their current team it doesn't mean they could cut it at a higher level. The ability, tempo, physicality aspects is so much greater than at St Johnstone's level. If you seriously think you could put Steven Anderson in the Scotland team without him being miles out of his depth I really do give up hope.

Over and out.

1 hour ago, Ormond said:

Ah, ProudScot who is anything but proud with his incessant love for anything English connected. Your opinion means hee-haw to most on here who have a clue about fitba'.

Sorry to criticise your precious St Johnstone who are an untapped resource for the national side. Steven Anderson hasn't been called up because he is a very average footballer, end of.

Hanley is also very average but distinctly better than Anderson.

'Who have a clue about fitba' - lol

7 hours ago, calmc92 said:

Some people fail to realise there's a jump in quality between certain leagues/players and just because someone is in form or playing consistently for their current team it doesn't mean they could cut it at a higher level. The ability, tempo, physicality aspects is so much greater than at St Johnstone's level. If you seriously think you could put Steven Anderson in the Scotland team without him being miles out of his depth I really do give up hope.

Over and out.

So if all these areas are much greater than St Johnstone's level how did Griffiths, Paterson, Wallace etc manage to play on Friday when they all play in the same league as a team than are consistently top six, so on your logic John McGinn should be no where near the squad.

I do watch St Johnstone and Anderson is a steady experienced defender, has been caught out for a few goals in the last few weeks, shouldn't really be even in the thoughts of an international team, but that's how bad we are at centre half that it's getting mentioned, and is certainly as good a player as Hanley.

Edited by Malfaetheburgh

Guest faircity
15 hours ago, ProudScot said:

Sorry to criticise your precious St Johnstone who are an untapped resource for the national side. Steven Anderson hasn't been called up because he is a very average footballer, end of.

Hanley is also very average but distinctly better than Anderson.

'Who have a clue about fitba' - lol

Hanley keeps making the same basic errors though, every single game, but because you perceive him to be better than Anderson you are content to let him continue to bungle his way onwards and make a fool of himself every game. 

18 hours ago, calmc92 said:

Over and out.

I don't really think Scotland are in a position to turn up our nose to anyone, but to play devil's advocate apart from 3 players in the NI side 2 centre halfs and Steve Davis the rest of them are made up of lower league players and none of them look out of their depth