Lessons For Next Time - Anything Goes - Other topics not covered elsewhere - Tartan Army Message Board Jump to content

Lessons For Next Time

1. Get the main stream media on-side - in a New Labour in the 90s stylee.

2. Be bolder on currency. Give a timeline by which Scotland will have its own Central Bank. We'll still call it the pound and still have Bank of Scotland, Royal Bank of Scotland and Clydesdale Bank design and print the notes and there will be a transitional period where we move from Bank of England to our own Central Bank. We just won't be tied to the Bank of England for all eternity. Or if the Euro has more credibility by then say we'll join that. Or work out how Monaco works without a Central Back. Just anything apart from independence with currency union.

• Replies 59
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

1. Get the main stream media on-side - in a New Labour in the 90s stylee.

2. Be bolder on currency. Give a timeline by which Scotland will have its own Central Bank. We'll still call it the pound and still have Bank of Scotland, Royal Bank of Scotland and Clydesdale Bank design and print the notes and there will be a transitional period where we move from Bank of England to our own Central Bank. We just won't be tied to the Bank of England for all eternity. Or if the Euro has more credibility by then say we'll join that. Or work out how Monaco works without a Central Back. Just anything apart from independence with currency union.

For me no.2 cost you independence. You needed to have a sensible, solid approach to ALL things financial and im sorry but looking from the outside it just wasnt the case and personally i think its why a lot of your countrymen voted no.

I think there may need to be more of an agreement with the rUK about what happens to the whole UK. The SNP is naturally unilateralist, but it meant no one had thought through what would happen to the rest. They felt left out, saddened and scared (and some of their rUK-born compatriots in Scotland). This fuelled the media hysteria, and the negative reaction of the markets to the prospect of independence.

In a sense the pro-independence campaign needs to work with those south of the broader to promote a wider vision of a voluntarily dissolved UK, a friendly 'Union of Crowns' where we are comfortable with our own identities and social union but without a shared parliament.

This is something that could be brokered by a UK party or coalition with a UK party. So in effect we get independence when England is more ready for it. After all, devolution happened in that context.

The seeds are already there, with the pro-Yes rUK citizens of Scotland playing a part.

In my opinion I think the financial situation greatly cost the yes campaign. Also to many it seemed like a vote for yes was a vote for alex salmond. Perhaps more high profile yes campaigners appearing in the media would help. The no campaign had jim murphy Alastair darling Gordon brown getting air time where the yes campaign did seem to be salmond and sturgeon. The likes of tommy Sheridan didn't IMO make enough impact to those without social media

In my opinion I think the financial situation greatly cost the yes campaign. Also to many it seemed like a vote for yes was a vote for alex salmond. Perhaps more high profile yes campaigners appearing in the media would help. The no campaign had jim murphy Alastair darling Gordon brown getting air time where the yes campaign did seem to be salmond and sturgeon. The likes of tommy Sheridan didn't IMO make enough impact to those without social media

Agree with this. Should've used Tommy Sherridan and Elaine C. Smith more. Frankie Boyle and Limmy too.

Tommy Sheridan is not the ideal public face for the non-lefties and centre ground, though, and blighted by his conviction(s). His role of doing loads of community meetings was perfect and won a lot of voters over to 'yes'. If Sturgeon & Salmond appeared too often then who else? Patrick Harvie appeared a lot and was good, but also put forward in my view unhelpful views on the Queen and currency in the last week, adding to the indecision. I say that despite agreeing with him on the issues. As for anyone else, I struggle. Perhaps a couple of prominent businessmen to balance the side slightly back to the centre ground and people's comfort zone.

I think there may need to be more of an agreement with the rUK about what happens to the whole UK. The SNP is naturally unilateralist, but it meant no one had thought through what would happen to the rest. They felt left out, saddened and scared (and some of their rUK-born compatriots in Scotland). This fuelled the media hysteria, and the negative reaction of the markets to the prospect of independence.

In a sense the pro-independence campaign needs to work with those south of the broader to promote a wider vision of a voluntarily dissolved UK, a friendly 'Union of Crowns' where we are comfortable with our own identities and social union but without a shared parliament.

This is something that could be brokered by a UK party or coalition with a UK party. So in effect we get independence when England is more ready for it. After all, devolution happened in that context.

The seeds are already there, with the pro-Yes rUK citizens of Scotland playing a part.

This is basically the main reason the Bloc Quebecois was created - to complement the Parti Quebecois in Canadian federal elections, and to be outward-looking with the other provinces of Canada. I think it's a great idea for the SNP or a new spin-off party.

I think Sillars' intervention was unhelpful. It gave ammunition even to moderate no-leaning opinion formers.

The Pacific Quay protest, with hindsight, might have been better managed, as it allowed it to be spun like an intimidating mob. (not to blame anyone, you can't stop people reacting).

Some might say that while Yessers were rallying on the streets and protesting on the quay, the BT ground troops were on the doorsteps making sure they got their vote out

Don't give the 10% of English people living here a vote, which probably accounted for around 400K votes, and could have almost made the difference :wink2:

Joking aside, some of the comments above seem sensible.

I understand and agreed the softly softly approach of transition put forward this time, but I wonder if a full-on independence strategy would now be a better way to go, in particular with a clear proposition for own banks/currency. Royals could be a sticking point - although maybe not such a problem in 15 to 20 years time.

Still devastated :(

Don't give the 10% of English people living here a vote, which probably accounted for around 400K votes, and could have almost made the difference

I agree with that, but then you have to allow all the Scots living abroad to vote. Maybe it would have equalled out, ish?

I agree with that, but then you have to allow all the Scots living abroad to vote. Maybe it would have equalled out, ish?

I'm living abroad, and every Scot I know here would be a committed Yes voter.

We're just as gutted as the 45% back home who had the balls to vote Yes.

Living abroad widens your horizons and opens your eyes to what Scotland could become....there are far too many in Scotland who can't see further than the possible 10p increase on their mortgage.

I'm living abroad, and every Scot I know here would be a committed Yes voter.

We're just as gutted as the 45% back home who had the balls to vote Yes.

Living abroad widens your horizons and opens your eyes to what Scotland could become....there are far too many in Scotland who can't see further than the possible 10p increase on their mortgage.

Lived abroad too, on and off from 86 to 09. you don't have to preach to me about broadening horizons.

My son's school found out today that they voted 53% Yes in Midlothian. Wait 10 years and get rid of the self-serving coffin-dodging bastards. Game on.

The worry is what sort of country we will have in 10 years when the likes of boris Johnson and Nigel farange welding power in Westminster

Lived abroad too, on and off from 86 to 09. you don't have to preach to me about broadening horizons.

I'm not preaching.

I'm just stating the obvious that being abroad allows you to see the kind of country that Scotland could become. Many of my colleagues come from smaller (or equally small) European countries.

They're baffled as to why Scotland turned its back on independence.

A lot of shite being talked here. All you need is a compliant media. Full stop. Look what it's done for the likes of Farage!

And look what the media did to the yes campaign here. It was a fully inclusive grass-roots campaign but a lot of those no votes (including my dad's) were fueled by the opinion that Yes was an intimidating unruly bullying mob. That image was deliberately painted by a combination of the media and politicians.