Lessons For Next Time - Page 3 - Anything Goes - Other topics not covered elsewhere - Tartan Army Message Board Jump to content

Lessons For Next Time

Aye that's about it and very succinctly put too.

More expansively, all my instinctive feelings about Salmond have been confirmed by his post referendum behaviour. He was very fond of blethering on about about the virtues of a 'team Scotland' approach after a yes vote (which in my opinion could only ever have been by a narrow margin), yet with a no vote (by a significant margin) he carries on as devisively as ever. He and many of his disciples on here are castigating everyone and everything rather than accepting that the case for independence was'nt made convincingly enough for the majority to vote for it. That is hardly surprising when you could'nt prise an open and honest answer out of him with a very sharp thing. The man is simply possessed with the notion of independence and is prepared to employ every slippery and manipulative device to get it. Thankfully though enough people rumbled him and he is now doing a good job of exposing himself as a hypocrite by not following his own suggestion regarding 'team Scotland'.

That's like a Daily Mail article - flip it 180 degrees and you get something approximating the truth.

• Replies 59
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Aye that's about it and very succinctly put too.

More expansively, all my instinctive feelings about Salmond have been confirmed by his post referendum behaviour. He was very fond of blethering on about about the virtues of a 'team Scotland' approach after a yes vote (which in my opinion could only ever have been by a narrow margin), yet with a no vote (by a significant margin) he carries on as devisively as ever. He and many of his disciples on here are castigating everyone and everything rather than accepting that the case for independence was'nt made convincingly enough for the majority to vote for it. That is hardly surprising when you could'nt prise an open and honest answer out of him with a very sharp thing. The man is simply possessed with the notion of independence and is prepared to employ every slippery and manipulative device to get it. Thankfully though enough people rumbled him and he is now doing a good job of exposing himself as a hypocrite by not following his own suggestion regarding 'team Scotland'.

utter tripe

What next? Read this:

http://bellacaledonia.org.uk/2014/09/22/thoughts-for-the-pheonix/

As for Salmond's post ref behaviour. The suggestion of UDI is wrong - but it's a reaction to Jack Straws brainfart that Westminster must now make it impossible for another indy ref to be held anywhere in the UK. Which funnily enough, no No voters are keen to highlight.

This is only the beginning of the journey.

The experience of this referendum, and the mistakes (understandably) that were made...will stand the Yes campaign in good stead for the next referendum. Every element of the referendum strategies should be analysed, and the weak points should be worked on, worked on and worked on again.

It'll take time, but every step that the Yes parties and supporters make from now on should be with the end game of independence in mind, just over the horizon....5 years, 10 years, 15 years...makes no difference, it'll happen.

Evolution, not revolution.

This.

The currency issue was the master stroke from WM. once they realised how much fear a denial could generate, it became a mantra for every one of them and it worked. Jim Murphy just repeated it in a loop, so did douglas Alexander, alistair darling, Johann lament, etc. No matter how hard yes tried, it was thrown back and it did cause a massive amount of uncertainty. No voters started to repeat it ad nauseam. Currency union gubbed us.

We need to be prepared next time and have an answer that doesn't rely on Westminster involvement or approval. Our own currency could be the answer.

Ps we might not need answers the next time cos the way things are going, Westminster and Cameron are doing all the work for us. Some no voters are regretting their decision already.....

I agree with this up to a point, however I still maintain that a more balanced media would have given the notion of "currency union or no debt" more airtime and support. We clearly don't have anything like a balanced media. People from abroad asking me how we threw away the referendum did not realise that 90% of our media comes from London. They are then amazed we got 45%...........

Had a debate in the office last week and a few yessers blew on about once in generation and that guff. I laughed and said you are living in dream world. The SNP can never accept a no vote as it only exists for one out coming. Team Scotland, he even said it with a straight face. Neverendum here we go. However will the public forget the once in a lifetime garbage.

The mistakes we made were stepping stones. We had to make them for the next step to come into in reach. If we had said we will launch a new currency people would have gone off the deep end of fear. But now... it is obviously the way. We had to go through this 'failure'. Did you really think it would be so easy? This is a test of you. You find out who you are in this.

Had a debate in the office last week and a few yessers blew on about once in generation and that guff. I laughed and said you are living in dream world. The SNP can never accept a no vote as it only exists for one out coming. Team Scotland, he even said it with a straight face. Neverendum here we go. However will the public forget the once in a lifetime garbage.

A week is a long time in politics.

However, I've no doubt at all that you Cringers will still be whining on about Alex Salmond 10 years from now.

You've voted No because you hate him. We get it.

Try and let it go now, eh ?

At the weekend I had genuine sympathy for most yes supporters.However after days of abuse and the inability to accept that you lost and lost heavily you have proven yourself to be one subject zealots. In my opinion the no voters have saved Scotland from this madness surely that was the patriotic thing to do.

This.

The currency issue was the master stroke from WM. once they realised how much fear a denial could generate, it became a mantra for every one of them and it worked. Jim Murphy just repeated it in a loop, so did douglas Alexander, alistair darling, Johann lament, etc. No matter how hard yes tried, it was thrown back and it did cause a massive amount of uncertainty. No voters started to repeat it ad nauseam. Currency union gubbed us.

We need to be prepared next time and have an answer that doesn't rely on Westminster involvement or approval. Our own currency could be the answer.

Ps we might not need answers the next time cos the way things are going, Westminster and Cameron are doing all the work for us. Some no voters are regretting their decision already.....

currency and EU membership seemed to be achilles heel for Yes ; in August TV debate with Darling ; Salmond appeared to try the Vote Yes, and we'll figure out the details later approach ; then Jim Sillars kept referring to the EU member section in the (existing)UK passport that could somehow be magically transferred (with no re-application process)