Should Scottish Labour Be Shitting Itself ? - Anything Goes - Other topics not covered elsewhere - Tartan Army Message Board Jump to content

Should Scottish Labour Be Shitting Itself ?

La'monte must be crappin it with no budget capability to counter the 25 billion new cuts , bedroom tax

which was helped by the snp grants, finding finance for tuition fees + nhs and prescription charges.

I think she'll be astonished that the snp managed to balance the books whilst maintaining services.

comments sought and welcome !

They've basically lost Glasgow now too. But actually it's the SNP who is going to win the next election and take all the flak for the shit storm that's coming.

Yep. SNP in very difficult position. Should win election at a canter but risky to continue to focus on constitutional arrangement so will have to get on with it. Being dealt a dud hand.

Wait for the next Labour party slogan at the next GE: vote labour to keep out the tories. Now where have I heard that before.

The toxic Labour party in Scotland are finished for betraying Scotland once more.

Edited by antidote

If the proposal for new powers is crippling, then I'd be tempted not to stand at all if I were the SNP. You guys have set the rules, let's see you implement it.

Exactly, I think the SNP need to consider stepping aside in some way. They cannot allow themselves to be the implementer of the devolved settlement on behalf of the Tories, Labour, et al. Time for Labour to step up and impose austerity, prescription fees, end free bus travel, introduce bridge tolls, increase council tax.

Edited by Auld_Reekie

Exactly, I think the SNP need to consider stepping aside in some way. They cannot allow themselves to be the implementer of the devolved settlement on behalf of the Tories, Labour, et al. Time for Labour to step up and impose austerity, prescription fees, end free bus travel, introduce bridge tolls, increase council tax.

That would teach the "i'm alright jacks" of the world a lesson and it might hit their saving accounts a bit but it would hurt the poor even more than they're being hurt already. And the poor were the ones who voted yes. The SNP maybe needs to keep trying to protect them while making very clear that its hands are tied.

They need to raise tax for the middle income and wealthy to counter the cuts. protect the poorest and hit the ones who can afford it - as a lot of them would have voted no to protect their cushy world.

Would probably impact me but I was prepared to give up something for change anyway.

That would teach the "i'm alright jacks" of the world a lesson and it might hit their saving accounts a bit but it would hurt the poor even more than they're being hurt already. And the poor were the ones who voted yes. The SNP maybe needs to keep trying to protect them while making very clear that its hands are tied.

This is a double edged sword damned if you do damned if you don't.... Personally i would leave Better together to get on with it.... it may hurt the poor but by god it will hurt those that thought they were better together a lot worse..

Guest Extreme0

This is a double edged sword damned if you do damned if you don't.... Personally i would leave Better together to get on with it.... it may hurt the poor but by god it will hurt those that thought they were better together a lot worse..

It will be for the best though.

Because then people have a legitmate reason to Riot and show discontent. It will be the Working Class against the Middle Class.

Could the SNP fight the election, win it, quite possibly with an overall majority, and then decline to form the government, forcing the other parties to form a coalition minority government? and watch them fail spectacularly.

Lamont will be gone by 2016. She is unelectable.

Greens will do well in next scottish election I reckon. Lots of people not going back to labour but won't want to vote snp.

I have never traditionally been an snp voter. but I have voted for them recently - as i wanted change. it has worked to a certain degree. surely labour voters should now back snp more strongly if they still wnat change as they have been badly let down by the labour party on this one.

I expect the SNP vote to be significantly down at Holyrood over the next two elections.

It'll come back though as Westminster continues to implode with the Tories undermined by UKIP, Lib Dems tainted by their coaltion and Labour just looking gormless.

I expect Holyrood to be a bit of a rainbow coalition over the next ten years with the SNP dropping back but no other party being able to take advantage.

As other posters have said - Johann Lamont as First Minister would be an embarrassment and could be the death knell for "Scottish" Labour. She'd also weaken the Parliament's reputation