The God of the Gaps - Anything Goes - Other topics not covered elsewhere - Tartan Army Message Board Jump to content

The God of the Gaps

The Multiverse is getting even closer

Scientists usually dont "bet their dog" on something which will have a " Copernican Revolution"

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/science/2016/05/31/multiple-big-bang-theory-could-bring-copernican-revolution-says/

I was watching a physicist  talk about the multiverse and they were talking about inefficient it is, everytime an electron moves it creates a whole new universe. Where does the energy come from? The most inefficient process literally in existence. It doesn't follow the pattern we observe in our own. When spoke about in those terms it doesn't make sense.

I don't think someone betting their dog makes it more or less likely.

12 minutes ago, phart said:

I was watching a physicist  talk about the multiverse and they were talking about inefficient it is, everytime an electron moves it creates a whole new universe. Where does the energy come from? The most inefficient process literally in existence. It doesn't follow the pattern we observe in our own. When spoke about in those terms it doesn't make sense.

Was the multiverse theory not concocted as an alternative theory to the "conscious observer" theory? 

12 minutes ago, thplinth said:

Was the multiverse theory not concocted as an alternative theory to the "conscious observer" theory? 

Not that i'm aware of. That doesn't mean much though.

One is Quantum physics is it not? The double slit experiment. I think it could explain why gravity is so much weaker a force as it's across many universes or something.

I feel sorry for the dog.

12 minutes ago, phart said:

One is Quantum physics is it not? The double slit experiment. 

I think they are maybe two competing theories to explain the double slit experiment.The Multiverse idea does not require a conscious observer I understand (just endless numbers of universes). The multiverse concept does not appeal to me but then the conscious observer thing is a headfukk in a whole different way. That double slit experiment stuff is quite bizarre.

Edited by thplinth

1 hour ago, thplinth said:

I think they are maybe two competing theories to explain the double slit experiment.The Multiverse idea does not require a conscious observer I understand (just endless numbers of universes). The multiverse concept does not appeal to me but then the conscious observer thing is a headfukk in a whole different way. That double slit experiment stuff is quite bizarre.

Oh right, yeah. Some folk explain it as a simulation i think. We're in a simulation that cannot contradict itself. So when we look to see what slit it goes through to preserve the programme not contradicting itself, the pattern changes to a straight line. When the information is no longer being checked there is no contradiction and reverts back to the normal wave interference pattern.

Consciousness is bizarre as feck, when you think about it, the whole shebang is bizarre are feck. We're just living it so seems normal.

That Feynman quote was quite thought provoking...

'Any other situation in quantum mechanics, it turns out, can always be explained by saying, "You remember the case of the experiment with the two holes? It's the same thing."'

Some of the things nobel prize wining scientists are quoted saying about how 'reality 'works' is pretty shocking.

12 minutes ago, thplinth said:

That Feynman quote was quite thought provoking...

'Any other situation in quantum mechanics, it turns out, can always be explained by saying, "You remember the case of the experiment with the two holes? It's the same thing."'

Some of the things nobel prize wining scientists are quoted saying about how 'reality 'works' is pretty shocking.

Can only explain it by referencing the phenomenon itself and non of the actual mechanics behind it. Or ones before Nobel, the super smart ones that changed paradigms with their work.

Philosophy is the same realising how fecked up everything is.

Should check this out.

http://www.nature.com/news/1-500-scientists-lift-the-lid-on-reproducibility-1.19970?WT.mc_id=TWT_NatureNews

Same thing happening in Psychology. The ego depletion theory has been put on the rocks, when someone did an analysis of all the studies, real experimental problems.

Feynman dealt with in his "Cargo Cult Science" lecture.

http://www.lhup.edu/~DSIMANEK/cargocul.htm

That weird article above with the Lord of Science saying he would bet his dog. FFS the entire scientific method is remain detached and look at the the evidence. Empiricism versus Dog Betting. Multiverse is unproven and so is big bang yet he is chugging himself about multiverse big bangs like they are facts near enough. 

3 minutes ago, thplinth said:

That weird article above with the Lord of Science saying he would bet his dog. FFS the entire scientific method is remain detached and look at the the evidence. Empiricism versus Dog Betting. Multiverse is unproven and so is big bang yet he is chugging himself about multiverse big bangs like they are facts near enough. 

:lol:

I guess it's not anything new

Michio Kaku said the exact same thing (almost word for word) over 6 years ago

The LISA pathfinder went up this year

Guest flumax
9 hours ago, phart said:

I don't think someone betting their dog makes it more or less likely.

I hate looking at threads like this. I've a PhD in theoretics, but I've no idea what you lot are on about. 

8 hours ago, flumax said:

I hate looking at threads like this. I've a PhD in theoretics, but I've no idea what you lot are on about. 

That's nothing I had to go get a dictionary to see what you had a PhD in and i still don't know.

8 hours ago, Ally Bongo said:

I guess it's not anything new

Schrödinger came up with it as a possible outcome of his equations in the 50's

No point discussing it as it can't be proved. Like God there is no way to confirm or deny. Or at least at the moment we haven't conceived a way too.

From Nature again

http://www.nature.com/news/big-bang-blunder-bursts-the-multiverse-bubble-1.15346

7 hours ago, Orraloon said:

Was it his auld man that came up with the idea of parallel universes?

Congratulations. He came up with the "many worlds" interpretation of quantum mechanics which avoids the need for an observer used in the Copenhagen interpretation. The song has the line "Daddy was a troubled genius".