Coffee Machine - Page 3 - Anything Goes - Other topics not covered elsewhere - Tartan Army Message Board Jump to content

• Replies 62
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

49 minutes ago, phart said:

oops wrong quote

The Bialeti? That is a Mokka pot and I have one also (but a six cup). Apparently they are not high pressure at all but they do produce a very good cup of coffee. The French are big into them and it was watching Green Card donkeys ago with Gerard Depardieu that tuned me into them. 

Edited by thplinth

19 minutes ago, Kirk said:

Drugs is for mugs

Spouting dogma just reinforces my point.

Thplinth it sounds like it's pressure, as it has to go from one reservoir to another higher up one.Although with "high pressure" not so sure. Mine is a 6 cup one too i think. Just posted the first picture i could find.

2 minutes ago, phart said:

Spouting dogma just reinforces my point.

Thplinth it sounds like it's pressure, as it has to go from one reservoir to another higher up one.Although with "high pressure" not so sure. Mine is a 6 cup one too i think. Just posted the first picture i could find.

I was surprised also but...

However a typical Moka coffee is extracted at relatively low pressures of 1 to 2 bar (100 to 200 kPa),[8] while standards for espresso coffee specify a pressure of 9 bar (900 kPa).[10][11] Therefore, Moka coffee is not considered to be a true espresso and has different flavour characteristics

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Moka_pot

11 minutes ago, thplinth said:

I was surprised also but...

However a typical Moka coffee is extracted at relatively low pressures of 1 to 2 bar (100 to 200 kPa),[8] while standards for espresso coffee specify a pressure of 9 bar (900 kPa).[10][11] Therefore, Moka coffee is not considered to be a true espresso and has different flavour characteristics

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Moka_pot

Well it is pressure just not "high" pressure. I appreciate the distinction you're making though :)

11 minutes ago, phart said:

Well it is pressure just not "high" pressure. I appreciate the distinction you're making though :)

I posted earlier on it how high pressure was what you were paying big bucks for in a commercial coffee maker.

9 bar v 1-2 bar is quite a difference. I was quite shocked when I read that as long time moka pot fan. Probably why it stuck in my coffee addled mind.

21 hours ago, dandydunn said:

Coffees gay. 

Weed is quite good though. 

Out of interest though,did people just drink regular coffee before Starbucks made it cool to have an espresso,latte,cappuccino and all that other pish?

And to walk about with a stupid fkin cardboard cup with a plastic lid. I can honestly say I have never ever been in a 'coffee shop' in my puff.

Even the council are at it. Trying to get a cup of coffee with milk in it in their cafe whilst the wee man plays football is well nigh fkin impossible. "What kind would you like? Expresso? Americano? Medium? Large? Sugar? 

I mean how fkin hard is it to get a atraight forward black fkin coffee?

Incidently why cant women drink coffee with only one hand? Pay attention and you'll see what I mean.

Edited by neil r

On 3 June 2016 at 7:08 AM, phart said:

I like this answer. Acknowledgement they taste different by method but no spin about it being better. Fortunately for me my subjective view is the taste is better via the cheaper method.

You might have good Coffee but your cocaine is shit if you think the have a not dissimilar psychoactive affect ;)

Yes taste is subjective. 

Actually coffee has a more enjoyable effect on myself compared with cocaine due to brain matter & activity but that's a whole other story, the foundation being, what one compound does to one individual can be somewhat different for another individual. This applies to myself even with 95% pure cocaine, as confirmed by gc ms analysis!

On 3 June 2016 at 9:03 AM, Boynze said:

you seem to know a lot about drugs, are you expat-ted in peru somewhere?

Not quite!  But I'd welcome to the chance to go and explore...

I do find them rather interesting. My interest is mainly derived from an interest in the human mind and body, from a nutrition and wellness angle as opposed to general psychoactive effects, although I'm not knocking the latter, everything in moderation for the right reasons and each to their own is my view on such matters. 

On 3 June 2016 at 4:11 PM, Kirk said:

Drugs are interesting

Only to interesting people ;) and open minded, aware, knowledgable, non judgement persons ??