17 Broken Promises of the Better Together Liars. - Page 2 - Anything Goes - Other topics not covered elsewhere - Tartan Army Message Board Jump to content

17 Broken Promises of the Better Together Liars.

33 minutes ago, ParisInAKilt said:

Also in terms of financial blackholes etc I don't think we'll ever get a true reflection of Scotland's finances until independence is achieved.

I think that's a fair assessment and one that most, other than the Peever equivalents on the other side (Hothersall et al) would agree.

The most important question for me to be answered in event of a future referendum*:  At the very least, how will current levels of public spending be maintained**?

* I'd also like the then First Minister to sign in blood under penalty of Gulag that they will not negotiate keeping a Nuclear Deterrent in Scotland in exchange for reduced share of UK debt.

** Corporation tax cuts weren't an acceptable answer in 2014 and they never will be.

• Replies 58
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

22 minutes ago, Larky Masher said:

Most of the promises weren't even promises and as for having to starting my own topic if I want to comment on this thread, that's the one of the most ridiculous comments I've read on here. 

Care to name any of the alleged non promises?

15 minutes ago, Scunnered said:

I think that's a fair assessment and one that most, other than the Peever equivalents on the other side (Hothersall et al) would agree.

The most important question for me to be answered in event of a future referendum*:  At the very least, how will current levels of public spending be maintained**?

* I'd also like the then First Minister to sign in blood under penalty of Gulag that they will not negotiate keeping a Nuclear Deterrent in Scotland in exchange for reduced share of UK debt.

** Corporation tax cuts weren't an acceptable answer in 2014 and they never will be.

If we've learned anything since the no vote it's that the SNP aren't the party to bring the progressive policies needed in an independent Scotland. 

16 minutes ago, antidote said:

Care to name any of the alleged non promises?

Care to define what a promise is?

And explain how this "Scots were told they could not continue to use the pound after independence. Denying claims that it was a political manoeuvre, the No Camp claimed that a currency union was unworkable. However, on STV’s Scotland Tonight Sir Melvyn King who ran the Bank of England for a decade said: “It would have been totally feasible, there was no need for an independent currency.” is a broken promise?

58 minutes ago, ParisInAKilt said:

If we've learned anything since the no vote it's that the SNP aren't the party to bring the progressive policies needed in an independent Scotland. 

But they're the only party who can deliver independence because if you build a progressive case for independence the electorate will reject it...  So we have to build a non progressive case for independence that the electorate will accept, so we can get independence...  Afterwards we can replace the non progressive government with a progressive one, if the electorate will accept it.

Politics :lol:.  By jeebus do I hate it!

1 hour ago, Larky Masher said:

Care to define what a promise is?

And explain how this "Scots were told they could not continue to use the pound after independence. Denying claims that it was a political manoeuvre, the No Camp claimed that a currency union was unworkable. However, on STV’s Scotland Tonight Sir Melvyn King who ran the Bank of England for a decade said: “It would have been totally feasible, there was no need for an independent currency.” is a broken promise?

So the P&J is wrong to call them a promise.

If my memory serves me right even Miliband et al made a pledged on that very issue.

I didn't know Melvyn King was part of BT.

1 hour ago, ParisInAKilt said:

Can you enlighten us to some of your ideas on 'progressive policies' please.

Comment as you wish Mr Larky.

However the rest of us can see its just the usual deflection and distraction from discussion of facts from the ScotButts, 

Change the subject, comment continually on the thread about anything but the original thread .

The Scotbutts main debating skill 

# Scot Butts  =  I am a Proud Scot But ..........  we are too poor,too stupid or too wee.

57 minutes ago, Scunnered said:

But they're the only party who can deliver independence because if you build a progressive case for independence the electorate will reject it...  So we have to build a non progressive case for independence that the electorate will accept, so we can get independence...  Afterwards we can replace the non progressive government with a progressive one, if the electorate will accept it.

Politics :lol:.  By jeebus do I hate it!

Haha. Ignorance is probably easier. 

1 hour ago, stocky said:

Comment as you wish Mr Larky.

However the rest of us can see its just the usual deflection and distraction from discussion of facts from the ScotButts, 

Change the subject, comment continually on the thread about anything but the original thread .

The Scotbutts main debating skill 

# Scot Butts  =  I am a Proud Scot But ..........  we are too poor,too stupid or too wee.

It you that's the butt.

2 hours ago, antidote said:

So the P&J is wrong to call them a promise.

If my memory serves me right even Miliband et al made a pledged on that very issue.

I didn't know Melvyn King was part of BT.

I think you'll find that Mervyn King was doing nothing more than expressing an opinion.

32 minutes ago, Larky Masher said:

I think you'll find that Mervyn King was doing nothing more than expressing an opinion.

I think you'll find that he wasn't part of BT? Where as Cameron, Miliband, Clegg where and I'm sure they all pledged not to share the pound.

I thought his name was Mervyn?

Note: not to copy any names from you again.

Maybe you were thinking of Melvyn Bragg?

1 hour ago, Larky Masher said:

It you that's the butt.

deflection and distraction avoidance of all factual discussion 

No reply no answer, insults and deflect and distraction  The Naw campaign thru and thru 

FFS you Won,.,,  and still you winge and moan and complain and deflect 

Larky you  a perfect example of a  scotbutt thru and thru :ok:

Edited by stocky

3 hours ago, antidote said:

Can you enlighten us to some of your ideas on 'progressive policies' please.

In the current climate, a living wage, living rent, scrapping the council tax, would be a start.

More desirable would be the abolition of the monarchy and nationalisation of monopolies and infrastructure.

2 hours ago, stocky said:

I am a Proud Scot

The idea of being proud of an accident of birth is weird.

29 minutes ago, Scunnered said:

In the current climate, a living wage, living rent, scrapping the council tax, would be a start.

More desirable would be the abolition of the monarchy and nationalisation of monopolies and infrastructure.

Although most of these ideas are desirable they're never going to happen, especially the living rent part where councils control that. 

Freezing the CT never mind scrapping it caused the SNP to be accused of helping the rich. 

Aboloshing the monarchy, in my opinion, is a good idea, but that'll have to wait until after, if you know what I mean ?

20 minutes ago, antidote said:

Freezing the CT never mind scrapping it caused the SNP to be accused of helping the rich. 

Freezing the council tax did yes, councils are being starved of funding and are cutting services that the poorest in society rely on. An income based service tax would be preferable, the Greens, SSP and the SNP's own report that they commissioned into a replacement for the council tax agree.

1 hour ago, stocky said:

deflection and distraction avoidance of all factual discussion 

No reply no answer, insults and deflect and distraction  The Naw campaign thru and thru 

FFS you Won,.,,  and still you winge and moan and complain and deflect 

Larky you  a perfect example of a  scotbutt thru and thru :ok:

Razor sharp insight there.

1 hour ago, Scunnered said:

You want to increase council tax and scrap it at the same time? You should send that idea to your pal Kez. The way she is going that could be in the manifesto.:lol: