Scotland : The Promised Land BBC2 - Anything Goes - Other topics not covered elsewhere - Tartan Army Message Board Jump to content

Scotland : The Promised Land BBC2

Fascinating programme. Stuck it on for 5 minutes and ended up watching the lot...

http://www.bbc.co.uk/iplayer/episode/b0755pt1/scotland-the-promised-land-1-the-birth-of-modern-scotland

Interesting to see the Daily Mail up to no good a century ago!

Will definitely watch the next one about the depopulation of the Highlands, might offer some more insight into why I was born in Ayrshire.

8 hours ago, Toepoke said:

might offer some more insight into why I was born in Ayrshire.

I'm no expert, but I imagine it's cos your dad nailed your mum and then 9 months later they were somewhere in or around the Irvine area.

Agreed was quite emotional thinking about how often my ancestors must've gone through similar experiences. For example my dad's paternal grandparents had nine kids, five of whom emigrated to Canada never to be seen again...

Edited by Toepoke

9 hours ago, Toepoke said:

Agreed was quite emotional thinking about how often my ancestors must've gone through similar experiences. For example my dad's paternal grandparents had nine kids, five of whom emigrated to Canada never to be seen again...

Did they lose all contact? It'd be an interesting job to try and dig their descendants out.

16 minutes ago, biffer said:

Did they lose all contact? It'd be an interesting job to try and dig their descendants out.

I know they are way out west in British Colombia but I've never met any of them.

My auntie who emigrated to Ontario decades later does know some of them I believe. Her late husband did a sterling job of assembling a family tree back in the pre-internet days...

It said on the commentary that the UK Government encouraged these Scots to emigrate due to the thinking of them maybe being trotskies, or words to that effect.

Do you think there could also have been another motive such as in keeping the population of Scotland low?

1 hour ago, antidote said:

It said on the commentary that the UK Government encouraged these Scots to emigrate due to the thinking of them maybe being trotskies, or words to that effect.

Do you think there could also have been another motive such as in keeping the population of Scotland low?

Given the context of the program, it's understandable why they concentrated on Highland and Island emigration to Canada but the Empire Settlement act wasn't restricted to Scots nor Canada.

The issue of land and crofting was one specific factor however there were many others and the majority of Scots emigration in the 1920s was to England, not "abroad".  This is probably understandable as even with assisted passage it would still require some cash to be able to emigrate to the "colonies". 

13 minutes ago, aaid said:

Given the context of the program, it's understandable why they concentrated on Highland and Island emigration to Canada but the Empire Settlement act wasn't restricted to Scots nor Canada.

The issue of land and crofting was one specific factor however there were many others and the majority of Scots emigration in the 1920s was to England, not "abroad".  This is probably understandable as even with assisted passage it would still require some cash to be able to emigrate to the "colonies". 

Yes there were many factors as to why Scots moved away during these times, but I have never seen, or heard, a reference on last nights programme to the majority moving to England. That maybe the case over a longer period.

Another specific reason was the lack of investment from the UK Government. They actually gave more money for them to emigrate than it would have cost in initial investments within the area.

The programme clearly stated that the UK governments incentive of paying a lot more for their passage was to encourage them to emigrate.

Maybe also to keep Scotland with its rural highlands & islands a small back-water country and maintain the landed gentries vast estates?