Affrican Grey - Anything Goes - Other topics not covered elsewhere - Tartan Army Message Board Jump to content

I want a bird (im married before we get the wise cracks)

Most definately will be an african grey parrot.

Anyone keep them or other parrots that have some advice on caring/living with parrots? These are known to live for 40 years plus.

Even help on what sex to get would be appreciated.

Cheers.

25 minutes ago, Larky Masher said:

The Norwegian Blue is much nicer bird.

Nicer looking agreed. Not sure on its vocabulary however?

21 minutes ago, McExpat said:

Keeping a bird caged is undoubtedly one of the cruelest forms of pet 'ownership' 

http://www.peta.org/issues/companion-animal-issues/cruel-practices/caging-birds/

get a dog! More chance of it being happy and making you happier

I dont disagree with what you are saying, however most birds that are kept in a cage (and their parent's) know nothing other than that as cruel as that is.

Iv'e three dogs - as much as they provide me plenty of companionship they wont last 40 years + a parrot will provide that companionship for a long time.

They do know different, they may not have experienced it but they know that they were born for something other than a life in a cage, it's instinct and instinct is very strong in the animal kingdom. Take a human baby from its mother at birth and keeping it in a cage for life will not result in the human being content, feeling this is the way life is meant to be, our natural instinct will show us otherwise. 

Like dogs on chains, caged birds crave freedom and companionship, not the cruel reality of forced solitary confinement for the rest of their very long lives.

Driven mad from boredom and loneliness, caged birds often become aggressive, neurotic, and self-destructive. They pull out their own feathers, mutilate their skin, incessantly bob their heads and regurgitate, pace back and forth, peck over and over again at cage bars, and shake or even collapse from anxiety. Even if a previously caged bird comes into a home in which he or she is allowed a rich, active life, this behavior persists and is extremely difficult to extinguish.

Dogs won't be extinct when your 3 pass on! 

4 hours ago, Mazziessc said:

Nicer looking agreed. Not sure on its vocabulary however?

I dont disagree with what you are saying, however most birds that are kept in a cage (and their parent's) know nothing other than that as cruel as that is.

Iv'e three dogs - as much as they provide me plenty of companionship they wont last 40 years + a parrot will provide that companionship for a long time.

Do you not consider your wife to be your long term companion? Only a brave man would take on a wife AND a parrot. 

My friend had an African Grey all her life(in parents house) and got one as an adult but unless you're in all day with interacting with them or having them interact, they just get depressed and pull all their feathers out and basically live miserable existences.

9 minutes ago, phart said:

My friend had an African Grey all her life(in parents house) and got one as an adult but unless you're in all day with interacting with them or having them interact, they just get depressed and pull all their feathers out and basically live miserable existences.

You could also be referring to the wife. 

1 hour ago, fringo said:

Would never get a word in too. :lol:

1 hour ago, TDYER63 said:

Do you not consider your wife to be your long term companion? Only a brave man would take on a wife AND a parrot. 

Aye a do haha jus noticed how bad that sounded. My gran had one that died when I was 10, sure the bird was in his 50's. I'm 30 now so looking to get one that will hopefully be around the rest of my days. Luckily someone is at home almost constantly.

I'm struggling on what sex to get and what species.

They ain't cheap either!

6 minutes ago, Mazziessc said:

Aye a do haha jus noticed how bad that sounded. My gran had one that died when I was 10, sure the bird was in his 50's. I'm 30 now so looking to get one that will hopefully be around the rest of my days. Luckily someone is at home almost constantly.

I'm struggling on what sex to get and what species.

They ain't cheap either!

I honestly had no idea how similar wives  and parrots actually were until now.