England Is Getting A New Nation Anthem - Page 3 - Anything Goes - Other topics not covered elsewhere - Tartan Army Message Board Jump to content

England Is Getting A New Nation Anthem

Rule Britannia would be good too except

1. its about Britain

2. the verse is tricky to sing

Jerusalem is a cracking song, would get my vote. As an aside when I was a teenager I thought it was a song that slagged England off, with its 'dark satanic mills' and 'green unpleasant land'. Being a rabid hillwalker I couldn't imagine how Albion's plain could be described any other way.

• Replies 68
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

On second thoughts, Orgasmatron would be a better UK anthem:

I am the one, Orgasmatron, the outstretched grasping hand
My image is of agony, my servants rape the land
Obsequious and arrogant, clandestine and vain
Two thousand years of misery, of torture in my name
Hypocrisy made paramount, paranoia the law
My name is called religion, sadistic, sacred whore.
I twist the truth, I rule the world, my crown is called deceit
I am the emperor of lies, you grovel at my feet
I rob you and I slaughter you, your downfall is my gain
And still you play the sycophant and revel in you pain
And all my promises are lies, all my love is hate
I am the politician, and I decide your fate.

Jerusalem is a cracking song, would get my vote. As an aside when I was a teenager I thought it was a song that slagged England off, with its 'dark satanic mills' and 'green unpleasant land'. Being a rabid hillwalker I couldn't imagine how Albion's plain could be described any other way.

When I was in the BB and forc....gladly attended the Church (to get a game of fitba on the Sat), the Minister said "Forget the words, this is a beautiful hymn".

Jerusalem always stuck with me for that reason.

When I was in the BB and forc....gladly attended the Church (to get a game of fitba on the Sat), the Minister said "Forget the words, this is a beautiful hymn".

Jerusalem always stuck with me for that reason.

That reminds me of this - "The words might be a wee bit offensive but they are great songs" - The motto of some Rangers fans.

Edited by Orraloon

Any nation would be lucky to have 'Jerusalem' as an anthem. A great tune that is perfectly suited to being belted out by a crowd, and the wonderful words of Blake's 'And did these feet in ancient times'. I rather doubt that it will change from GSTQ mind. Enjoyed the Billy Bragg clips, I have seen him countless times live now in Edinburgh, London, Cambridge and Sydney (that one Billy Bragg and the Blokes), always great value. He tends to do a Q&A before each show now, and we usually go along. His political activism is a central part of what he does, and it is interesting to hear him discuss it with folk in a small room. A really nice, approachable guy too. I once wore an 'England, Half English' tour shirt with the kilt for a day on a Scotland trip (Vilnius) and the puzzled looks were priceless.

Any nation would be lucky to have 'Jerusalem' as an anthem. A great tune that is perfectly suited to being belted out by a crowd, and the wonderful words of Blake's 'And did these feet in ancient times'.

Agreed, but as I said earlier, I can see Blake's weird Christian mysticism being an issue in a 'national' anthem for a country that needs to be inclusive. Whatever, if there have to be nat. anths. then dropping GSTQ for England in sport has been a no-brainer for years. 'I vow to thee' with Holst's superb melody might do the trick but 'Jerusalem' will likely be the majority favourite and so a shit-storm might well be in the making.

Aye, it rang a bell, tbh, but I'm afraid I'm never one to let a little anti-Stratfordianese pass.

Which is why i said it to you. Although as i get older and more nuanced Shakespeare get's better and better, so it's more habit than intent when i make little digs these days at the 2nd greatest bard in British history.

Which is why i said it to you. Although as i get older and more nuanced Shakespeare get's better and better, so it's more habit than intent when i make little digs these days at the 2nd greatest bard in British history.

:ok:

Yup, it's hard to look past John Betjeman...