Losing Interest... - Page 3 - TA specific - Tartan Army Message Board Jump to content

Losing Interest...

scotsgary2

• Replies 166
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I can understand people deciding not to spend their time and money on following a pish team around Europe, especially if they have other priorities.

Both our national sides are ordinary workmanlike teams. You're no less a supporter or fanatic of your national team if you have other circumstances preventing you following your team away.

I couldn't get to a lot of the Ireland home games and 3 of the aways due to personal circumstances but if money/work holidays weren't an issue I'd be at every game.

Again it depends on what reasons you follow your national team for.Is it conditional that they qualify for something/ that they're not 'pish' or the simple reason that you'll support them regardless of how good they are.

Edited by irish

Both our national sides are ordinary workmanlike teams. You're no less a supporter or fanatic of your national team if you have other circumstances preventing you following your team away.

I couldn't get to a lot of the Ireland home games and 3 of the aways due to personal circumstances but if money/work holidays weren't an issue I'd be at every game.

Again it depends on what reasons you follow your national team for.Is it conditional that they qualify for something/ that they're not 'pish' or the simple reason that you'll support them regardless of how good they are.

I don't think missing away games means your support is conditional.

Ive stopped home games due to ticket price increase. But love the away trips - its only natural that there is a bit of a downer at the moment with Euros coming up and us not there plus there's no away trip till September. But once I get into booking the trips , then there's the looking forward to it - come the start of the WC cup campaign we'll all be back up there.

Judith Chalmers TA

From an Irish perspective (however unwelcome that may be on here) ;) I think what makes it worse for yourselves is that all the national teams from Ireland and Britain qualified except yourselves. For us it would've been unbearable if Northern Ireland qualified and we didn't. Wales,Scotland and England would've been irrelevant to be honest.

As for losing interest in your national team. It depends if you're a bandwagoner/sunshine fan or the supporter who follows your country when they have a Craig Levein or our equivalent Steve Staunton in charge.

We were in the wilderness for 10 years before we poxed our way to the euros in 2012 and admittedly poxed our way in this campaign up to a point but the bottom line is like most on here we're both average 3rd tier European sides who'l.p. qualify for 1 out of 3 tournaments at best so we make the most of it by looking forward to the away games our countries both compete in and win lose or draw,the Irish and the Scots never let themselves down.

The first away game following your country and the absolute craic is something you'll never forget. How could anyone be put off following their country all over Europe 3/4 times a year?!

It is going to be a minimum of 20 years for us. It's depressing.

What makes it worse is we feel constantly ripped off by our FA and the 'week of football' makes it more difficult to get to games.

Barriers are being put up to make it easy for fans to stop going.

I didn't buy tickets for 2 home matches in the last campaign and those were the first competitive home matches I'd not attended in 10 campaigns.

I'll make a decision on the next campaign when I see the prices. I enjoy going to games but it's getting easier to decide to miss a game.

A few games in march and will be potential cannon fodder ( sorry opponents) for teams warming up fir euros in may I reckon.

Agree would love to switch off all together until September but the chances of that happening are slim.

i will still watch the euro but i mean switch off about scotland till september.

I don't think missing away games means your support is conditional.

Ehm whether you miss away or home games is irrelevant.

My point is if your support is conditional on the success of your country's national football team rather than just supporting them no matter how bad they are then you're not worth a shite tbh.

Edited by irish

Yes but in the recent years of shyte our support has remained high considering.look at attendances across Europe the next time we play.

For competitive home games the support has remained relatively strong. Always of course a decent sized travelling support for competitive games. For home friendlies though the crowds are widely variable. The lowest I have seen was under Vogts for the 6th or 7th spanking in a row from some bog standard opposition. This time it was Hungary dishing out a 3-0 at Hampden and I reckon there were about 10k there. Never seen Hampden so empty for an international.

My point is if your support is conditional on the success of your country's national football team rather than just supporting them no matter how bad they are then you're not worth a shite tbh.

You originally asked: How could anyone be put off following their country all over Europe 3/4 times a year?!

I then explained that people could understandably be put off spending their time and money on away games if the team are pish.
You may think that means people "aren't worth a shite" and that's fair enough but nobody is obliged to go to away games, especially when they have other priorities.

Easy to say when you fairly regularly qualify for tournaments.