Star Wars: The Force Awakens - Page 7 - Anything Goes - Other topics not covered elsewhere - Tartan Army Message Board Jump to content

Star Wars: The Force Awakens

• Replies 161
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Going tonight and tbh I'm more looking forward to some fast food than the film.

Anybody watched The Revenant yet ?

And yet you are still going? Am sensing some "dragged along" type excuse. Reminds me of the Kermode and Mayo film review show/podcast where the listeners who on the whole consider themselves as budding auteurs, manufacture ever more outlandish and incredulous excuses for finding themselves in a cinema watching something like Transformers 3 so they can then inform other listeners as to what a "travesty to cinema" it was........

*****SPOILERS******

2nu1x1e.jpg

It's not quite like that but there are a lot of the same plot points rehashed between IV and VII. Given the theory of the Star Wars Saga being structured like the old Greek myths and stories of Homer etc. then it makes sense and was pretty obvious they would have throwbacks to it.

The main thing for me is that Star Wars is a Science Fantasy, more akin to LOTR in space compared to Star Trek which was proper Sci-Fi. They've reestablished the mythos around the characters and the Force in this film compared to the Prequels which spent too much time explaining everything rather than leaving mysteries there.

It's not quite like that but there are a lot of the same plot points rehashed between IV and VII. Given the theory of the Star Wars Saga being structured like the old Greek myths and stories of Homer etc. then it makes sense and was pretty obvious they would have throwbacks to it.

The main thing for me is that Star Wars is a Science Fantasy, more akin to LOTR in space compared to Star Trek which was proper Sci-Fi. They've reestablished the mythos around the characters and the Force in this film compared to the Prequels which spent too much time explaining everything rather than leaving mysteries there.

Star wars is just fan fiction of LotR.

Just back from seeing it and I was like an excited wee boy from that iconic opening scene-setter. A real return to form after the pish that was Episodes I, II and III. So what if it's more or less a rehash of A New Hope with some different characters? It was great to see the humour done well again after the MacGregor/Christensen attempts and the characters of Rey, Finn and Poe really added to the pleasure of seeing Leia, Han Solo, Chewy, C3PO and R2-D2 again. Can't wait for the next one :bouncy:

Edited by redstevie007

Episodes 4, 5, 6 and 7 of Star Wars are nowhere near as turgid as the LotR films, thankfully.

The problem was LOTR was never meant for the screen, too much depth in them for it to transfer to screen, back-stories, an entire invented language by Tolkien, a lot of metaphysical stuff that just can't be done by cinema.

The movies are shit compared to the books.

Now the scary thing is imagine how shit a star wars book of the film would be. It certainly wouldn't be getting taught world wide in literature classes and inspiring generations of authors.

they both work better in their original medium.

Went to see it tonight and I have to say I'm split over it.

As a movie lover I thought it was great and really enjoyed it but as a geek I was screaming at it. Thy have taken the original stories from the star wars empire and thrown them out. It's as if Disney gave a big fu to the star wars fans and went there own way with it