Trident Vote - Page 3 - Anything Goes - Other topics not covered elsewhere - Tartan Army Message Board Jump to content

Trident Vote

More than 520 people work on the Nuclear weapons side. Thousands.

Also, a SSBN without nuclear weapons is a pointless but of kit, so they'd be scrapped, as would the jobs.

Devonport would likely keep the Astute class then there would be no Faslane. Meaning no direct jobs, second tier jobs and indirect jobs in the surrounding areas.

Still IMO it's a moot point, we've just had our majority Conservative government re commit to the Successor Programme.

Independence was the only thing that could have changed the status quo.

J

Not yet we haven't. The debate and vote is scheduled for February 2016 as it has been for a considerable time.

• Replies 62
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Also, a SSBN without nuclear weapons is a pointless but of kit, so they'd be scrapped, as would the jobs.

Devonport would likely keep the Astute class then there would be no Faslane. Meaning no direct jobs, second tier jobs and indirect jobs in the surrounding areas.

Still IMO it's a moot point, we've just had our majority Conservative government re commit to the Successor Programme.

J

SSBN is an Americanism, you can fire Ballistic missles without nuclear warheads.

Not yet we haven't. The debate and vote is scheduled for February 2016 as it has been for a considerable time.

In fairness, I think we probably get what BristolHibby is getting at:

With the current majority Tory government and broad support from Labour and Libs - there's absolutely nothing to suggest that this bill won't sail through with not much debate other than the SNP making some noise and the rest of the Commons pointing and laughing.

With the current majority Tory government and broad support from Labour and Libs - there's absolutely nothing to suggest that this bill won't sail through with not much debate other than the SNP making some noise and the rest of the Commons pointing and laughing.

Corbyn wants to allow balloting of members to ballot members on trident, according to internal polling 66% of members oppose trident renewal. I have faith that the VP of CND will come through, and then it's a matter of how many Tories have a conscience, and how many Labour defy their leader. It's a slim chance bordering on a miracle being required, but a chance none the less.

Indeedy. I was asking about the approval of CASD across the UK. IIRC people in the majority want them, so I don't see that changing soon.

Like I said, independence was the only chance to remove Nuclear Weapons from Scotland. That ship (boat) has sailed (for the time being).

J

Edited by Bristolhibby

Corbyn wants to allow balloting of members to ballot members on trident, according to internal polling 66% of members oppose trident renewal. I have faith that the VP of CND will come through, and then it's a matter of how many Tories have a conscience, and how many Labour defy their leader. It's a slim chance bordering on a miracle being required, but a chance none the less.

Imagine the media reaction if it was voted down. Oh the hilarity

What a bounce! Tax credits cut reversal and Trident scrapping would surely cement the people's champion as the greatest opposition leader of all time... One can dream.

Edited by Scunnered

If the VP of CND (CND - FFS!) does not come through, he will go down as the most morally bankrupt leader of any party, anywhere, ever.

J

Hibby, the 520 figure was the figure the Union gave out, they were on the 'naw we cannae,' side.

Even Jabba Bailey doesnt dispute that figure but never states it...

aye it is a mute point, but the facts will be needed for Indy 2,

so keep everyone fresh and educated...

If the VP of CND (CND - FFS!) does not come through, he will go down as the most morally bankrupt leader of any party, anywhere, ever.

That's a bit of a reactionary take on it... But yes, I reckon that's how it would be perceived. There is no mechanism in place within the Labour Party for balloting members outwith conference... But guess who's working on it? Go on guess! Ok, I'll tell you! KATY CLARK!!! :wub:

For those on here who seem keen to want nuclear weapons, in the event of another nuclear power launching missiles at us...would u launch our tridents at them and if so for what purpose ?

And secondly if u believe its right that we should possess a large nuclear arsenal, do u think every state in the world ought to have their own too ?