Android Or Iphone - Anything Goes - Other topics not covered elsewhere - Tartan Army Message Board Jump to content

Android Or Iphone

Recommendations please lads and lassies.

Never really been into phones. Used to always have the £10 handsets from Tesco with a sim only contract. Last 3 years I've been using an iPhone as it was supplied through my part-time job. Finishing up with them in a couple of weeks so now need to get my own phone sorted.

I'm probably between the Sony Xperia Z5 Compact or another Apple handset. Either iPhone 6 or iPhone 5s.

Quite a few websites are sitting on the fence when it comes to recommending either of them. Quite like the look of the Sony as the camera is very good and much longer battery life (so they say), but I dunno if I can arsed learning how to use a new phone which is maybe why I would stick with iPhone.

What say thee?

• Replies 55
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Why, out of interest?

I found it clunky, slow and difficult to use compared with an iPhone. Mind you this was years ago so I'm sure they've come along way since then. I'm not a big phone person so I'm content with just getting the same phone or upgraded model when I need to. iPhones are really easy to use for the Internet and music

Droid fan boy alert.

You're offering a choice between apples and oranges. iPhone is a phone/gadget. Android is an operating system.

Imo android is a much better operating system compared with ios due to its flexibility. IPhone is an easier piece of equipment to use. It's like asking for a comparison between the complete works of Shakespeare versus the English language.

Top of the range android handset trump any iPhone. take a peek at one plus range

https://oneplus.net/uk, cheaper with more under the hood than an iPhone and really easy to alter layout and functions.

The beauty of an android is you can get low end ones for £50 but at that price can be clunky and give a poor experience, hence leads to android dislikers who compare £500 iPhone 5 with £100 android such as galaxy s3. But go compare specs of £600 iPhone with even £400 android, and the droid will likely come out in top.£600 iPhone v £600 droid, no doubt droid is better.

Go take a test drive. See what you like.

Edited by flumax

Droid fan boy alert.

You're offering a choice between apples and oranges. iPhone is a phone/gadget. Android is an operating system.

Imo android is a much better operating system compared with ios due to its flexibility. IPhone is an easier piece of equipment to use. It's like asking for a comparison between the complete works of Shakespeare versus the English language.

Top of the range android handset trump any iPhone. take a peek at one plus range

https://oneplus.net/uk, cheaper with more under the hood than an iPhone and really easy to alter layout and functions.

The beauty of an android is you can get low end ones for £50 but at that price can be clunky and give a poor experience, hence leads to android dislikers who compare £500 iPhone 5 with £100 android such as galaxy s3. But go compare specs of £600 iPhone with even £400 android, and the droid will likely come out in top.£600 iPhone v £600 droid, no doubt droid is better.

^this^

Droid fan boy alert.

Cheers m8.

The Sony Z5 is coming out a good bit cheaper than the iPhone 6 per month for the same contract. Comparison sites are saying there is very little between them.

Lad in the O2 shop said much the same as your post. As I said above I'm a bit of a novice. Battery life and Camera is two of the things that do matter to me though and all reports indicate the Z5 is superior on both.

Android. Every time. Medium to higher end of Android market should compete with iPhone no problem. iPhone stuff is over-priced fluff that tries to lock you into their market and is heading for a brick wall in coming years of you ask me. Haven't been overly taken by the Samsung phones but HTC have been good. And that's part of the advantage Android... You get choice in the actual phone you can use. Don't like it, buy a different one next time. No such choice with Apple.

I've got an Xperia Z2 and I really like it. Battery life is excellent, screen is good, camera is better than my actual camera and the water and dust proofing has really worked.

I'll be getting another Sony next year when it's renewal time after 4 years of HTC which were also very good bur had piss poor battery performance.

Interesting post flumax. I got fed up of breaking iPhones so now got a cheap android HTC and it is shit. Really shit. But I don't want to spend the money on a decent phone as I will just drop it and break it again.

The reason IPhone repairs are relatively cheap is because they break far more often.

Try the Sony's. They've been tough enough for me so far.

My recent experience of iPhone (own) and htc (company) is that Apple pisses all over the htc.

And I'm not just saying it because I like my iPhone.

The htc really is an awful device,the battery is decent,but that's about it.

The worst part I would say would be the keyboard,writing even the simplest of messages with it seems to be mission impossible.

It really is a bad piece of kit.

I've never had an iPhone so can't help you with a comparison but can vouch for Sony Xperia. I've had three now I think, currently Z3 compact.

In saying that, I might be having to send it off for a repair following the 5.1.1 update. Wi-Fi not turning on anymore and the Sony forums seem to indicate it's a common issue. Done factory resets etc but no joy.

Samsung & HTC only mate. If you go high end it pishes all over the iPhone.

Greater scope for free apps as well.

I went from Sony to HTC and actually preferred my old Sony. Also had an iPhone and liked it a lot. Don't think there's a big difference between all the high end phones, Apple or Android.

Think there's a new Sony about to come out, the Z5 premier or something like that?

My recent experience of iPhone (own) and htc (company) is that Apple pisses all over the htc.

And I'm not just saying it because I like my iPhone.

The htc really is an awful device,the battery is decent,but that's about it.

The worst part I would say would be the keyboard,writing even the simplest of messages with it seems to be mission impossible.

It really is a bad piece of kit.

The SwiftKey app makes the keyboard much better

Android. If you are wise enough to have asked its an easy answer.

Have a look at the OnePlus range or the Nexus range (Nexus best prices are at carphonewarehouse).

And another tip... Probably better value buying a handset and getting a sim only deal (compare over 2 years).

e.g. My Nexus 5X was £349, equivalent to £14.54 per month. Sim only with Vodafone £15.40 per month for 12 months. But with £104 cashback. So effectively £6.73 per month.

Total of £21.30 or thereabouts. Equivalent on contract is £29 per month.

Unlimited calls, text and 2GB of data. Can get for another £3 per month if needed.