Yanks Recommend A Ban On Heading The Ball - Football related - Discussion of non TA football - Tartan Army Message Board Jump to content

Yanks Recommend A Ban On Heading The Ball

With even u13 kids using a 4.

I could understand the Americans point if the kids of the age they are discussing here were being made to play with a full size ball.

My loon was using 3's and 4's for 2008's.

Scared to get sued,it's an American thing.

Be here soon enough.

WTF is it with bairns today? I'm sure we all had to treck into the dressing room with half a face, nae arms and bawz booted inside your stomach after a game on red ash.

The "bairns" aren't doing anything. Folk are looking out for them, i assume based on scientific evidence.

This seems a bit extreme to me but i assume there has been research done on the effects of heading a football by children whos brains are still developing?

It'll probably make better footballers and improve their ball control and skill level. The ball will hardly leave the ground and their touch, passing and close control will be improved.

The "bairns" aren't doing anything. Folk are looking out for them, i assume based on scientific evidence.

This seems a bit extreme to me but i assume there has been research done on the effects of heading a football by children whos brains are still developing?

It'll probably make better footballers and improve their ball control and skill level. The ball will hardly leave the ground and their touch, passing and close control will be improved.

It doesn't seem to have harmed 'bairns' for centuries (including far heavier balls). Why now?

It doesn't seem to have harmed 'bairns' for centuries (including far heavier balls). Why now?

How do we know that it hasn't harmed anyone? We'll only know that with further research. We don't know that concussions don't increase the likelihood of mental illness, for example. If heading has been responsible for causing concussions as claimed (which i think is unlikely), then i'd definitely advocate anything which reduces the likelihood of that happening to a child.

There's so much worrying information coming out regarding concussions in the NFL and their long term effects, that it's not worth risking the well-being of kids.

How do we know that it hasn't harmed anyone? We'll only know that with further research. We don't know that concussions don't increase the likelihood of mental illness, for example. If heading has been responsible for causing concussions as claimed (which i think is unlikely), then i'd definitely advocate anything which reduces the likelihood of that happening to a child.

There's so much worrying information coming out regarding concussions in the NFL and their long term effects, that it's not worth risking the well-being of kids.

agreed, i mean when we see the contributions from ex-pros on tv on for example sportscene - who can say damage hasnt been done!!

No idea how badly repeatedly heading the ball can be for you, as I haven't read any real scientific findings on it. But even if the effects are negligible, it still seems like a good idea for kids not to be heading the ball and instead concentrate on skills that will make them decent footballers.

Every time Scotland fail yet again to qualify for a tournament everyone is up in arms about how we need to change the way we train kids. Too much emphasis on hoofball, no close control, etc, etc. And then when you hear a story like this, the reaction is to suck it up you pussy Americans, we trained on fields covered in glass when I were a lad, came home with at least two broken legs, never did me any harm, ...

Edited by bajin

I think the important thing is they ban heading the ball but as long as they are allowed to keep their guns, their children will be safe.

jeez never even thought of it that way.is there nothing in the constitution about the right to head a ball