Golfers Forum. - Page 56 - Other Sports - Tartan Army Message Board Jump to content

Golfers Forum.

dandydunn

17 hours ago, fringo said:

As  relative newbie to golf I'd never had a handicap until end of last year when I entered  3 scores.

My average last 6 years is about 101. My 3 handicap scores were 91 (best score ever by miles) then 108 and 115.

The handicap I was then given was 18-19 ??! My golfing friends say that will work itself out in time to a more realistic handicap closer to my lack of ability, but that first handicap seems crazy and way off the reality which should be mid 20s handicap ?

The system is averaged over your 8 best rounds from 20, so the more you play, it’ll sort itself out pretty quickly. 

5 hours ago, dandydunn said:

The system is averaged over your 8 best rounds from 20, so the more you play, it’ll sort itself out pretty quickly. 

Cheers. That's what a couple of mates keep telling me but I've yet to register more official scores .

Hopefully doing a few in next few weeks.

• 2 weeks later...

Garcia loses LIV playoff………. who gives a shit?

do you think LIV is here for long term? I’m old fashioned but 3 rounds ain’t cutting it at that level. Get it when lazy arsed superstars say they’d rather play 25% less for way more guaranteed cash……. BUT, a sprinkling of self awareness would make them reconsider.

watching full swing on Netflix made me dislike the top pampered stars in the same way as mollycoddled young footballers with beats headphones stuck to their ears.

anyway, rant over….. it is a beautiful day and there is no excuse for jealous moaning. Sorry.

On 4/30/2023 at 12:02 PM, ger intae them said:

Garcia loses LIV playoff………. who gives a shit?

do you think LIV is here for long term? I’m old fashioned but 3 rounds ain’t cutting it at that level. Get it when lazy arsed superstars say they’d rather play 25% less for way more guaranteed cash……. BUT, a sprinkling of self awareness would make them reconsider.

watching full swing on Netflix made me dislike the top pampered stars in the same way as mollycoddled young footballers with beats headphones stuck to their ears.

anyway, rant over….. it is a beautiful day and there is no excuse for jealous moaning. Sorry.

Highlight of that series was Joel Dahmen having a mare in the first 18 of US Open qualifying, going for a few pints then burning it up in the afternoon 😂 before finishing T10 at the event itself.

On a personal note, my trolley has packed in, could do without splashing £700 out on a new one before Saturday, but always knew this was an expensive game 🙈

Edited by dandydunn

1 hour ago, dandydunn said:

Highlight of that series was Joel Dahmen having a mare in the first 18 of US Open qualifying, going for a few pints then burning it up in the afternoon 😂 before finishing T10 at the event itself.

On a personal note, my trolley has packed in, could do without splashing £700 out on a new one before Saturday, but always knew this was an expensive game 🙈

Trolleys are for auld age pensioners. 

I'm pushing 63 and always carry my clubs its a a form of exercise for me unless we play 2 rounds in a day then I look out my trolley.even then its old school pull/push the thing

I sometimes play paul lawrie or kippie lodge (Aberdeen golfers will know) with the same guys ,same age as me and they always take their electric carts

13 minutes ago, davierobbsagod said:

links/nigg bay ?

to be fair the cricket up by me is fogged off as well

Links, couldnt see the green on the par 3 3rd and all four of us put it to <15 feet 😂😂

Had only my 2nd round of the year yesterday. Played the front 9 at Pumpherston with the other half’s family.

Absolutely honking performance again the same as I was a few weeks back. 😂 Hopefully get a bit more practice and time for playing once the fitba season finishes and see if I can keep chipping away at the handicap. 

• 3 weeks later...

Links chanpionship this weekend, absolutely no dreams of anything this time, terribly off form, body is in bits and seem to be in great pain in my legs after 12 holes the last few weeks, need a few practice nights and everything crossed to see what happens next. 

Through to last 16 of the handicap clubber though, where I play my brother in law 🙈

New to golf, started up march this year. Getting there but slowly. Joined the Gleddoch near Langbank. Realise now it's a difficult course. Im tey to be under 100. Have two cards in and looking forward to getting my third in for my handicap.

50 minutes ago, Mazziessc said:

New to golf, started up march this year. Getting there but slowly. Joined the Gleddoch near Langbank. Realise now it's a difficult course. Im tey to be under 100. Have two cards in and looking forward to getting my third in for my handicap.

Aye, that's a pretty tough course to be starting out on, but once you have mastered that course you'll be confident of playing anywhere. 

Edited by Orraloon

2 minutes ago, Orraloon said:

Aye, that's a pretty tough course to be starting out on, but once you have mastered that course you'll be confident of playing anywhere. 

Appreciate that, I've only played there an Dumbarton. Dumbarton bored the life out of me.

13 hours ago, Mazziessc said:

It’s not really the 3 cards for handicap now, you’ll fluctuate a lot the next few months. 

Is simple terms, once you get 20 cards in, you’re best 8 scores will determine the handicap and they’ll fall off week after week, if you’ve a yellow score coming off that week, you have to beat it, or your handicap will go up, I’ve now realised that also sounds complicated 🙈😂

Best way to track your handicap is to download MyScottishGolf app and register with your CDH number. 

35 minutes ago, dandydunn said:

Fucking hate golf. 

An absolute joke yesterday. Ninety fucking two, this time last year, I was playing off of 7, now, I’m a disgrace to the game. Disgusted with myself.  

Feel your pain, first round of the championship meant to be yesterday but thick mist meant it was postponed till today, managed a round later yesterday off the medals and had a scratch 80, played today in perfect conditions and had a scratch 95 🤷🏻‍♂️🤷🏻‍♂️🤷🏻‍♂️

20 minutes ago, Och Aye said:

LIV Golf and PGA now merging. Makes all those hissy fits a bit meaningless.

Aye, I never understood what all the fuss was about. Lots of petty arguments amongst folk with huge amounts of money and even bigger egos. 

On 6/4/2023 at 11:03 PM, DOUBLE A said:

Feel your pain, first round of the championship meant to be yesterday but thick mist meant it was postponed till today, managed a round later yesterday off the medals and had a scratch 80, played today in perfect conditions and had a scratch 95 🤷🏻‍♂️🤷🏻‍♂️🤷🏻‍♂️

I’ve never much dropped into this forum but will try and start to contribute my disasters (and few successes) to add to the chatter. 😁 

I never play through winter so pretty much start very rusty in April with the start of the season. Tend to only play once a week so difficult to get any major improvement but first few medals I’ve been 89,88,87,  so heading in the right direction. 

90 was always my mental barrier to try and beat since joining a club in 2020 after not having played any great deal since I was a kid. 

Last year I had a bit of a breakthrough, breaking 85 for first time (with an 83),  and a few weeks later shot 76 off of 20 (nett 56). You can imagine the chat around the club for that one. 🤣🤣🤣  Not sure I’ll ever manage a round like that again! 

Currently off 15.2 so hoping to cut a few more off this year. 

• 2 weeks later...