Golfers Forum. - Page 14 - Other Sports - Tartan Army Message Board Jump to content

Golfers Forum.

dandydunn

Another Saturday without a bat for me. Between weddings and stag weekends,I haven't been out for a bout a month and today,I have to work.

Banchory 36 next week though,then a Memorial Day for a late friend at Cullen the week after,so things will pick up again.

Cullen's a great wee course, quirky. A fitting tribute to your friend :ok:

My scores have improved but maybe not solely down to measuring devices - I've made a few swing changes etc. However, about 6 seasons ago I came down from 4 to 2. Largely because a change in tactic. I worked out that I hit my 52 wedge 115 years and was consistent with it. Using measuring devices I could try and leave myself with this distance off the tee.

15 is a good handicap - I think you'd benefit from a measuring device in a number of ways. The certainty of knowing a distance makes a huge difference to me. Even in windy conditions, distance is relative once you work out the club strength of the wind.

That's a long time to hold on to a golf club. I think you've had your money's worth. :lol:

My scores have improved but maybe not solely down to measuring devices - I've made a few swing changes etc. However, about 6 seasons ago I came down from 4 to 2. Largely because a change in tactic. I worked out that I hit my 52 wedge 115 years and was consistent with it. Using measuring devices I could try and leave myself with this distance off the tee.

15 is a good handicap - I think you'd benefit from a measuring device in a number of ways. The certainty of knowing a distance makes a huge difference to me. Even in windy conditions, distance is relative once you work out the club strength of the wind.

I use the low tech version of these devices - 150 yard posts at the side of the fairway.

I use the low tech version of these devices - 150 yard posts at the side of the fairway.

But I've often found that these posts are neither to the centre,front or back of the green.

I've seen them vary from 130 to 180 on some courses :lol:

Link?

EGU allowed them in premier comps away back a few years ago....2008/9 maybe and after the study allowed them to be used wholesale due to them speeding play up according to the study.

I played in one of the events so remember it well.

I'd google it if I could be arsed.

Here's one report of it - http://www.todaysgolfer.co.uk/news-and-events/equipment-news/2010/january/skycaddie-supports-english-golf-union-stance-on-gps-devices/

Edited by macy37

Just like the open,there were very blustery conditions at the Banchory 36 today.

But the sun came out in the afternoon which led to a pleasant game of golf in shorts.

Scored shite and twisted my knee,but kept on going as I couldn't be arsed walking in.

I really should've though.

Stupid decision,had to crawl up the stairs at home.

Edited by dandydunn

For everyone on Facebook.

There's a new page called bonus ball golf club/goods.

Basically the guys have clubs for sale and price a ball to pick and use the lottery to get a winner.

If the club is worth £200,it would be £4 a ball,pay the seller by PayPal and whoever picks the number,wins it.

My brother got a Scotty Cameron putter in custom colours a couple of weeks back,a pal got an odyssey putter the same night and another pal won a scotty Cameron tonight.

Well worth a look to see if you get lucky.

6256FA59-04CB-4203-8862-A563BBB7AAC2_zps

That's the one from tonight,the guy is customising the colours for him to red/black/white for a very small additional fee.

Well worth a look.

For everyone on Facebook.

There's a new page called bonus ball golf club/goods.

Basically the guys have clubs for sale and price a ball to pick and use the lottery to get a winner.

If the club is worth £200,it would be £4 a ball,pay the seller by PayPal and whoever picks the number,wins it.

My brother got a Scotty Cameron putter in custom colours a couple of weeks back,a pal got an odyssey putter the same night and another pal won a scotty Cameron tonight.

Well worth a look to see if you get lucky.

6256FA59-04CB-4203-8862-A563BBB7AAC2_zps

That's the one from tonight,the guy is customising the colours for him to red/black/white for a very small additional fee.

Well worth a look.

That looks more like a light saber than a putter. :lol:

I've a game lined up in a few weeks at St Andrews (Kittocks). Staying in the town overnight, looking for a venue for a game the next morning. I've played most in/around the area and we might revisit an old favourite, or try a new one.

New Course worth a visit?

I've a game lined up in a few weeks at St Andrews (Kittocks). Staying in the town overnight, looking for a venue for a game the next morning. I've played most in/around the area and we might revisit an old favourite, or try a new one.

New course isn't cheap. I got quoted green fees of £75.

New course isn't cheap. I got quoted green fees of £75.

I know, but it's one of the few I've not played. I usually play local, guesting with pals, or corporate days. Therefore, my green fees are restricted to membership plus the odd tenners to sign on friends. £75 I could justify, especially when you compare it to £220pp,at Kingsbarns or Even £120 for the Castle.

New Course is great in my opinion, obviously not got the prestige of the Old Course but I think some of the holes are more interesting. I liked the Castle Course too but it's not for everyone

I'd play the New Course for £75 if I had the choice

I really like the New Course. Not unlike the Old, perhaps a bit tighter and more defined in places. Lot of 2 Irons off the tee. Less quirky than the Jubilee.

Slightly out of town but if you're looking for accom and playing The Kittocks you might get a deal in The Fairmont. It's a good enough hotel but has a really good breakfast buffet and much better value than some other hotels nearby. Also, if you haven't played it recently, The Dukes is in great shape just now and mostly a decent track - but it's bit of a trek (I mean on the course).

Thanks for all that. Scottcraigg looks interesting: I'd not heard of it before. But it's about the same money as the New.

We're playing the Kittocks as a corporate, and a wee group of us have arranged to stay over at the fairmmont. The lazy option is to play the Torrance next day, but I thought the New might be the more imaginative option. Dukes is too much of a slog for me.

I played Kingsbarns a few years ago, when I was only half interested in golf, and would love another chance on it. Was £50 pp back then (about 2007 I think), which is incredible value.