Animal Loving Do-Gooders - Anything Goes - Other topics not covered elsewhere - Tartan Army Message Board Jump to content

Animal Loving Do-Gooders

What are peoples thoughts on that video? Are the do-gooders right to "save" the dog? There's a lot of nasty shit on the internet that I've been desensitized to but this actually got to me a bit!

As an animal lover (not in the Cameron way...) I've always had a lot of respect for people who dedicate themselves to saving animals. This video has been going viral (in France at least...) this week and seeing it actually broke my heart since as anyone who has or ever had a dog knows, it's like a member of the family. This guy was clearly distressed about them taking his dog (because of some obscure law about treatment of animals) and I felt so bad for him. Seeing the behaviour of those people snatching the dog and treating the old guy like the animal, has actually turned a lot of people against their cause. That and the fact they they sold ("paid adoption") the dog after taking it! Absolute c*nts.

Edited by thewelk

Horrible to see from the humanity perspective, but tough to judge as you don't get to see what state the dog is in - not saying that the guy had mistreated the dog, but if he hadn't looked after it, it's the right thing to do, if the dog was fine, then it's indefensible.

As mentioned - unless there was evidence this dog was mistreated or not looked after adequately then this is awful. Obvious problem with viral videos is that they often don't tell the whole story.

If not then the bams that took the dog should be charged with theft and causing undue stress to both the dog and its owner.

World gone mad.

That's absolutely disgusting. Anyone who has ever worked with rough sleepers knows how important dogs are to them. It's been a running debate for years in the homeless sector around dogs & I've known plenty of guys who preferred to stay on the street rather than lose the dog.

Middle class ar$eholes if you ask me.

I've always said one of the tragedies of the world as I see it is that if you get a homeless bloke & a stray dog in a park at night, you know which one will get a roof over its head that night.

There have been a lot of stories about gypsies drugging dogs and keeping them so they can make more money on the streets with the added sympathy factor. That doesn't surprise me. The Roma people are everywhere in Paris and are at it with every scam under the sun. But in this case the dog didn't seem drugged and I can't really tell if the homeless man here is a gypsy, but that's what the people who took the dog are claiming.

In either case, these guys are snatching dogs and making money from passing them on.

Edited by thewelk

Surely if ur homeless and starving another mouth to feed is the last thing you need?

You might think so, but it doesn't work that way. I don't fully understand it but have seen it so often down the years. My pocket book psychology analysis is that you are talking about people whose entire life experience is of rejection & people being repulsed by them that it represents a relationship & source of (giving & receiving) affection that they don't get from people.

That's absolutely disgusting. Anyone who has ever worked with rough sleepers knows how important dogs are to them. It's been a running debate for years in the homeless sector around dogs & I've known plenty of guys who preferred to stay on the street rather than lose the dog.

Agree that many homeless people dote on their dogs and they mean more than anything else in the world to them, resulting in a great bond but on the other hand it is known that many homeless people and many that pretend to be homeless, obtain a dog for no other reason than the fact it brings in money for them.

I have a policy of only giving food to homeless people and their dogs, never cash, that way both human and dog benefit, although on a few occasions my attempt to help has been met with abuse and insults due to not being willing to handover cash instead of the food!

"The dog is a gentleman; I hope to go to his heaven, not man's."