October Squad. - Page 2 - TA specific - Tartan Army Message Board Jump to content

October Squad.

saintlyscot

I fear Strachan has lost it. Scotland have not played well for over a year and he can't seem to sort it.

I do not think he has lost it, just that he focuses far to much into how to beat a team, that he does not take plan B into account if Plan A fails to work.

Think it is a case that since Ireland at Celtic Park that the other teams have spotted our strengths and weaknesses and able to get around it (in Tbilisi it was clear Georgia were beating us using our own game plan)

• Replies 150
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

If he focused that much he would have a plan b

I seriously do not think he does.... I think in Dublin the game plan was always to bring Anya on fresh and even Gibraltar it took him up to half time to make the changes when it was clear we were far to light at the back to handle Gibraltar.....

I don't blame Strachan for any of his selections thus far, I do however think he really needs to get the Poland one right or face a bit of a backlash.

If Steven Fletcher played every game from now until 8th October and tucked a couple of goals is happily see him start up from for us but it was so evident in both games he's lost his sharpness.

I don't blame Strachan for any of his selections thus far, I do however think he really needs to get the Poland one right or face a bit of a backlash.

If Steven Fletcher played every game from now until 8th October and tucked a couple of goals is happily see him start up from for us but it was so evident in both games he's lost his sharpness.

Neither do I, although I would have started Whittaker ahead of Hutton in Georgia and probably had Shinnie at left back. If there's one thing I hope Strachan has learned from that double header it's that you need to pick players who are playing regularly. Naismith, Fletcher and Hutton all looked off the pace.

Agreed that at the moment Brown is playing his way out of the team. Is Fletcher at a decent enough level to replace him?

Not so sure.

Brown and Mulgrew looked good together earlier in the campaign, should we go back to that?

I'd put Naismith behind Griffiths up front against Poland, think Morrison is suspended and Maloney may still be injured.

I'd put Whittaker in ahead of Hutton as well, with Anya and either Armstrong or Russell on the other side.

Neither do I, although I would have started Whittaker ahead of Hutton in Georgia and probably had Shinnie at left back. If there's one thing I hope Strachan has learned from that double header it's that you need to pick players who are playing regularly. Naismith, Fletcher and Hutton all looked off the pace.

I'd agree that they all looked rusty, Hutton seemed a bit sharper against Germany though.

I'd like to see Calum Paterson get a call up to get him around the squad, i could see him replacing Hutton long term.

After Naismith's hat trick fingers crossed he gets game time.

You must have missed Forrest starting against Germany then.

Guzan should never have been out that far but Hutton also arguably at fault for Leicesters 3rd on sun. Not dealing with a long cross and letting his man get a head onto it. Too many ofbour players at the min either not playing or out of form.

The way Brown is playing just now anyone is better in centre Mid, D fletcher should start ahead of brown against Poland if the current form has improved

Guzan should never have been out that far but Hutton also arguably at fault for Leicesters 3rd on sun. Not dealing with a long cross and letting his man get a head onto it. Too many ofbour players at the min either not playing or out of form.

The way Brown is playing just now anyone is better in centre Mid, D fletcher should start ahead of brown against Poland if the current form has improved

I've always though he made more mistakes when he wasn't up to speed with the game (remember one for Tottenham and a couple for rangers- when he came off the bench) or match sharp.

I'd be tempted with McArthur/Mulgrew or Fletcher in there- though I haven't seen Fletcher for a full game this season

Feck it. Desperate times call for desperate measures. I'd take a big risk and play this team.

Give Graeme Shinnie his debut at left back and play Andy Robertson on the left wing (why not ?). Drop Marshall, Hutton, Brown, Mulgrew and Steven Fletcher. Make Darren Fletcher the team captain again. Up front, have a pairing of either Russell (great worker) and Naismith or alternatively Naismith and Griffths.

Gordon, Whittaker, R Martin, Hanley, Shinnie, D Fletcher ©, McArthur, Maloney, Robertson, Russell, Naismith
Edited by ErsatzThistle

Feck it. Desperate times call for desperate measures. I'd take a big risk and play this team.

Give Graeme Shinnie his debut at left back and play Andy Robertson on the left wing (why not ?). Drop Marshall, Hutton, Brown, Mulgrew and Steven Fletcher. Make Darren Fletcher the team captain again. Up front, have a pairing of either Russell (great worker) and Naismith or alternatively Naismith and Griffths.

Gordon, Whittaker, R Martin, Hanley, Shinnie, D Fletcher ©, McArthur, Maloney, Robertson, Russell, Naismith

I agree with much of what you say but to throw Shinnie in for a debut in a match like that could be folly and a baptism of fire

Remember how poorly Forsyth started at LB in Dublin?

I agree with much of what you say but to throw Shinnie in for a debut in a match like that could be folly and a baptism of fire

Remember how poorly Forsyth started at LB in Dublin?

He might handle it, he might not but I'd take the risk and throw him right in the "deep end". Shinnie is a much player than Forsyth too.

Paul Dixon made his debut in a qualifier against Serbia and got a MotM award.