Is Gordon's I-Watch Telling Him - TA specific - Tartan Army Message Board Jump to content

Is Gordon's I-Watch Telling Him

andreimack

It's time to go?

As the door slams shut on yet another campaign is it time for Wee Gord to step aside and let someone in with fresh ideas or do we struggle on hoping for miracles and give him another tournament to try and rekindle earlier form.

He has run out of ideas though

Some of his selections are baffling at the best.

It's been mentioned before how lagerback has transformed Iceland. Maybe it's time to introduce a new way of thinking.

I think we forget how bad things were before he came on the scene.

No doubt WGS needs to have a big rethink at this point, but no way I wan't him to be handing the reins over.

Oh I haven't forgot, I think I'm just at that stage again where it's "if they lose," " if we win our remaining games," "Germany will have nothing to play for, come the last game," stage of things when it's no longer football but miracles we need and I'm just a bit pissed off.

I'll be alright in the morning. ?

Who would you have instead?

If I'm being honest with you I've absolutely no idea who'd be able to do anything with the squad available at the moment.

He has run out of ideas though

Some of his selections are baffling at the best.

It's been mentioned before how lagerback has transformed Iceland. Maybe it's time to introduce a new way of thinking.

You can only introduce radical ideas if you have the players with the ability to implement them

We are limited in player ability and therefore limited in ideas

Lagerback is not the reason Iceland have become successful - they had to have the players to start with

Their youth teams over the last decade have improved dramatically

Thats where we need to do our thinking and that's not Strachan's job although he should have an input in it

Strachan's problem is that the guys he's putting faith in as his 'big time players' are letting him down.

Brown. Our captain, the man who should be driving the team.....anonymous.

Fletcher. Premiership striker, involved in huge transfers, massive profile......can't kick the ball with his right foot. awful.

Hutton and Mulgrew. One a Premiership player, the other a stalwart of the Scottish champions.....both can't defend. Or pass.

He's not getting the best out of these players, yet he continues to pick them. Can anyone actually say that Darren Fletcher, Jordan Rhodes, Andy Robertson and Steven Whittaker wouldn't have performed better than these 4 tonight ?

Can we please wait until next month before the crucifixtions start?!!! There is a hell of a lot to play for and every opportunity to still make the play offs.

Friday was horrible but tonight was never a game we were likely to get anything in. Wins against an average Polish side and the worst team in the whole of qualifying gaining 6pts (hell maybe even 4 will do if we draw the former) will see us in the play offs. We might even be seeded in those the way it's going!

You can only introduce radical ideas if you have the players with the ability to implement them

Lagerback is not the reason Iceland have become successful - they had to have the players to start with

Thats where we need to do our thinking and that's not Strachan's job although he should have an input in it

Nail on head.

Strachan's problem is that the guys he's putting faith in as his 'big time players' are letting him down.

Fletcher. Premiership striker, involved in huge transfers, massive profile......can't kick the ball with his right foot. awful.

Hutton and Mulgrew. One a Premiership player, the other a stalwart of the Scottish champions.....both can't defend. Or pass.

He's not getting the best out of these players, yet he continues to pick them. Can anyone actually say that Darren Fletcher, Jordan Rhodes, Andy Robertson and Steven Whittaker wouldn't have performed better than these 4 tonight ?

As much as we think our national coaches are hopeless they clearly know more than us when it comes to judging ability at the top level

If they honestly thought the players you mention would perform better they would pick them and that says it all

It isnt a conspiracy

Apart from Robertsons inclusion I'd agree with you on all of the above.

As much as we think our national coaches are hopeless they clearly know more than us when it comes to judging ability at the top level

If they honestly thought the players you mention would perform better they would pick them and that says it all

It isnt a conspiracy

I realise that (although I'm not sure about McGhee).

That doesn't mean though that these coaches are always going to make the right decisions. At this moment, Strachan seems blinded.....he's picking players that are obviously hugely out of form.

I know I know. Just saying.

We seem to be resigned to the same style of football though. Regardless of the players or who we are playing.

We set out against Georgia the same way we set out against Germany. We lack intelligence.

Even at half time we see poor. The Germans were working drills, we were pinging the ball about like a Sunday league team.

We need a total change of direction on and off the pitch.

Under Levein only a shocking penalty decision denied us a play-off in a group with only one automatic spot.

Before Strachan when was the last time we finished outside the top 3 in a group?

Totally different group and circumstances.

We only came that close because with Spain winning all their games, we had one rival for 2nd spot. That rival lost at home to Lithuania, but we still couldn't beat their tally.

We also squeaked the 3 points against Lichtenstein and destroyed any remaining reputation for Scottish football for those who watched the game in Prague.

Before Strachan we weren't 4th seeds (we were one spot away from 2nd seeds because of Strachan), so never had groups with teams as good as Germany, Poland & ROI or Croatia,Belgium & Serbia.

Totally different group and circumstances.

We only came that close because with Spain winning all their games, we had one rival for 2nd spot. That rival lost at home to Lithuania, but we still couldn't beat their tally.

We also squeaked the 3 points against Lichtenstein and destroyed any remaining reputation for Scottish football for those who watched the game in Prague.

Before Strachan we weren't 4th seeds (we were one spot away from 2nd seeds because of Strachan), so never had groups with teams as good as Germany, Poland & ROI or Croatia,Belgium & Serbia.

I get what your saying but there's winning and losing in football and we've lost twice in 4 days.

All the circumstances garbage can go, If we don't qualify he's failed and needs to admit so.

Im sick (more than anything) of supposed bad luck or improved performances papering over the cracks of failures.