Lowest For Years - Page 8 - TA specific - Tartan Army Message Board Jump to content

Lowest For Years

kumnio

Woohoo! Stat project, love it love it love it :)

Good work, I decided to take the analysis back a bit further:-

1990s

Home Win: 72% (18/25)

Home Draw: 20% (5/25)

Home Loss: 8% (2/25)

Away Win: 40% (10/25)

Away Draw: 32% (8/25)

Away Loss: 28% (7/25)

1980s

Home Win: 55% (11/20)

Home Draw: 35% (7/20)

Home Loss: 10% (2/20)

Away Win: 32% (6/19)

Away Draw: 26% (5/19)

Away Loss: 42% (8/19)

1970s

Home Win: 69% (9/13)

Home Draw: 15% (2/13)

Home Loss: 15% (2/13)

Away Win: 31% (4/14)

Away Draw: 15% (2/14)

Away Loss: 62% (8/14)

Interesting stats. Some good variance in home/away but we still qualified in many tournaments.

Away losses in 1970s at 62% !

Home wins and away wins in 1980's less than recent stats !?

• Replies 192
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Woohoo! Stat project, love it love it love it :)

Good work, I decided to take the analysis back a bit further:-

1990s

Home Win: 72% (18/25)

Home Draw: 20% (5/25)

Home Loss: 8% (2/25)

Away Win: 40% (10/25)

Away Draw: 32% (8/25)

Away Loss: 28% (7/25)

1980s

Home Win: 55% (11/20)

Home Draw: 35% (7/20)

Home Loss: 10% (2/20)

Away Win: 32% (6/19)

Away Draw: 26% (5/19)

Away Loss: 42% (8/19)

1970s

Home Win: 69% (9/13)

Home Draw: 15% (2/13)

Home Loss: 15% (2/13)

Away Win: 31% (4/14)

Away Draw: 15% (2/14)

Away Loss: 62% (8/14)

Is that for all qualifiers?

Our 90s form really was tremendous, appreciate the were a lot of new countries who were of a lower standard then but still we got the job done more often than not...

And many those same countries are the ones who have now improved and we often struggle against,

We've got worse and many of them are now decent teams.

Great stats from both of you and it sometimes shows how stats don't tell a true story (like the 1980s ones).

Away losses in 1970s at 62% !

Home wins and away wins in 1980's less than recent stats !?

Despite qualifying for 5 World Cups the 70s and 80s featured some dire campaigns in the Euros.

The stat that sticks out for me is the 90s defensive record. 9 defeats in 50 games! Craig Brown especially made us very hard to beat.

Edited by Toepoke

Despite qualifying for 5 World Cups the 70s and 80s featured some dire campaigns in the Euros.

The stat that sticks out for me is the 90s defensive record. 9 defeats in 50 games! Craig Brown especially made us very hard to beat.

He had the luxury of being able to play about 6 centre halfs (in the same game). We struggle to find 2 half decent ones these days.

I was thinking that the other night, what price if you could buy a Craig Brown grim 0-0 just when you needed it

Edited by exile

What has happened to Scottish centre halfs? Do boys teams not play anyone in that position?...

Fitba' has evolved massively. Years ago we produced great centre halves because the game was hugely physical. As the game has progressed players are no longer rewarded for battering into other players. It's all about technical skill and athleticism now which our youth simply do not have.

Fitba' has evolved massively. Years ago we produced great centre halves because the game was hugely physical. As the game has progressed players are no longer rewarded for battering into other players. It's all about technical skill and athleticism now which our youth simply do not have.

Was having this conversation with my 14 year old today who has just been selected for district trails... I was a semi decent centre half back in the day but wouldn't last 5 mins on a pitch today simply because I was an old fashioned centre half didn't have much technical skill but I was very hard to get past was always taught that the best tackle was get the ball first then the player now a days if you touch an opponent it's a foul..... Over the years Scotland have always been a physical side with the if we can't beat them we will kill them now it all about flair etc and our players simply are not technical good enough

Jock Stein once played 4 centre-halfs against Wales, we got well and truly gubbed.

Aye, a lot of folk slag off Andy Roxburgh for playing centre halfs in midfield but it was Big Jock who came up with the idea. Willie Miller, Dave Narey, Kenny Burns, and even Alex McLeish all played in midfield under Stein. One of the reasons Hansen didn't get more caps was that he refused to play in midfield. And Gough had his best international games playing at right back.

Aye, a lot of folk slag off Andy Roxburgh for playing centre halfs in midfield but it was Big Jock who came up with the idea. Willie Miller, Dave Narey, Kenny Burns, and even Alex McLeish all played in midfield under Stein. One of the reasons Hansen didn't get more caps was that he refused to play in midfield. And Gough had his best international games playing at right back.

Gough started off as a right back at Dundee United as I remember it.

Jock Stein once played 4 centre-halfs against Wales, we got well and truly gubbed.

Not to mention announcing to the Scottish public that we would never win the World Cup and to get realistic

Probably after this game to deflect his error ....

Gough started off as a right back at Dundee United as I remember it.

Aye he did. It was one of the reasons he wanted away from United. Jim McLean wouldn't let him play at centre half. McLean was right though, Gough was always a better right back than centre half.