Current Position - TA specific - Tartan Army Message Board Jump to content

Current Position

jock strap

Been in a proper huff since the Georgia match.

Upset, emotional, confused etc.

But here's one for you.

An english mate at work last night said to me, " would you have accepted this position your in at the very start of the campaign if it was offered ? "

Took a lot of thinking and honesty and told him a wee bit later "Aye ".

I think one of the reasons we are upset is because of the improvement we have made over WGS taking over, and it has led us to higher expectations.

We can mump and moan all day but now I've reflected on things and calmed doon, I'm quite chuffed at the campaign ( except the last match ).

Would any of you accepted the position like me ?

No. 4 points from the games against Poland, Ireland and Georgia is what we should have been aiming for at the very least.

4 points from Ireland, better than I thought we would get.

3 points from Georgia, would have liked 4.

1 point up to now from Poland, better than I thought we would have.

Evened itself out there to date for me.

We WILL get 3 pints from Poland. :yikes3:

Edited by jock strap

Fair point but I wouldn't have wanted us going into our two toughest home matches off the back of such an abject performance and result in Georgia.

Totally agree pal.

The hardest thing the players have to do is pick themselves up and find the desire and belief.

No, not at all... We should be aiming to take a point against RoI and Poland and 3 against Georgia.

So we are three points down and adding to that a loss of momentum and confidence...

I really hope I am wrong and it is still there for us but involves two huge performances.

Maybe.

I think what is so frustrating is that - we've done the hard work (Poland and Ireland - 2pts away) beating Ireland at home, then shooting ourselves in the foot by failing to get anything in Tblisi. I would have taken a draw, it would probably have scunnered our automatic qualification hopes too, but it would have kept us ahead of Ireland at least for third.

I'm dissapointed, but always said if we can't win in Georgia then it's our own fault. No sob stories, or 'plucky Jockland' pish from the EBC. If we want to qualify, then we have to win in these places like the rivals in our group did.

The momentum is a killer too. We were full of hope, optimism etc, and may well be again tomorrow night if a huge result is achieved, but that is a tough ask. We will most likely be 4pts behind Ireland with 2 games to go - although they have two difficult games - we may well just miss out on that Playoff.

Edited by weekevie04

If we dont win tomorrow - which is likely - then we have to beat Poland and rely on other results the main one being Germany beating Ireland

Its as simple as that

The danger is that Germany will have qualified and will have nothing to play for

No. At the start of each campaign I have hopes of qualification. Qualification almost certainly means taking 12/12 point from the weakest two teams in the group - we have failed. Both Poland and ROI will achieve this and will therefor finish 2nd and 3rd in our group. Simples.

We needed to beat Georgia. We let Poland back in, we let Germany back ahead. These mistakes so shortly after scoring have almost killed us dead. As has been said, if you want to seriously qualify you need to go away to places like Georgia and win, and we should have gone for the win in Dublin too.

I think I'm on the same wavelength as you Mr Strap. I think we had done pretty much as I had expected at the start of the group. I never thought that going away to Georgia was going to be an easy 3 points or even an easy 1 point. Like loads of other folk, I always suspected we would have problems with that game. So far we have done as well as I had expected against the other teams. Our problem is that Poland and Ireland have taken points off Germany, which we haven't done yet.

If we take 3 points off Germany tomorrow we are back in the driving seat. The key to qualifying is simple IMO. There is no big secret. Win your home games and you will more than likely qualify.

I think I'm on the same wavelength as you Mr Strap. I think we had done pretty much as I had expected at the start of the group. I never thought that going away to Georgia was going to be an easy 3 points or even an easy 1 point. Like loads of other folk, I always suspected we would have problems with that game. So far we have done as well as I had expected against the other teams. Our problem is that Poland and Ireland have taken points off Germany, which we haven't done yet.

If we take 3 points off Germany tomorrow we are back in the driving seat. The key to qualifying is simple IMO. There is no big secret. Win your home games and you will more than likely qualify.

Good point, dont think anyone expected the Germans to suffer such a hangover from the World Cup. Take the points off them then you have 3 teams on 11 points. Very different complection even with Friday's results.

Expecting nothing tomorrow but Poland are nowhere near as good as Germany and as we showed in the away match we can create chances against their defence. I expect us to beat Poland at home and finish in 3rd. Friday's result killed our automatic qualifying chances but looking at the possible 3rd place finishers there are going to be some very tight looking ties as most of the big guns (Holland aside) will come through and finish in the top 2.

Just me that thinks Ireland will slip up at home to Georgia?

I think they will win with something to spare. They have been given a huge boost and lifeline by our ineptitude and this is by far their easiest match remaining. They know anything but 3 pts would be disastrous. Having said all that I still think that they will end up on a maximum of 16 pts meaning we would need 5 pts (2 draws and a win or 2 wins) to get 3rd. If they only beat Georgia and lose the other 2 matches then a draw in either game against Germany or Poland a win against Gibraltar would see us 3rd. Its largely still in our own hands.

Edited by Hendricks

I think they will win with something to spare. They have been given a huge boost and lifeline by our ineptitude and this is by far their easiest match remaining. They know anything but 3 pts would be disastrous. Having said all that I still think that they will end up on a maximum of 16 pts meaning we would need 5 pts (2 draws and a win or 2 wins) to get 3rd. If they only beat Georgia and lose the other 2 matches then a draw in either game against Germany or Poland a win against Gibraltar would see us 3rd. Its largely still in our own hands.

It is ALL in our own hands. Win three matches (2 of them at home) and we qualify automatically.