Tomorrows Leter From Retailers - Page 2 - Anything Goes - Other topics not covered elsewhere - Tartan Army Message Board Jump to content

Tomorrows Leter From Retailers

oh and increased costs in an independent scotland cos its a different country? give me strength. Aldi and lidl are two of the cheapest supermarkets and they operate out of a completely foreign country.

I plainy said in my message - that i wasnt saying these costs would be passed on to the consumer. No one can predict that. I can imagine some shady companies using it as an excuse to in the future.

But its an undeniable fact that operating in a country has lost of associated costs, split that country in 2 and the costs increase.

Simply put in my job if its a YES I would have to produce 2 sets of financial statements to comply with 2 differing sets of financial rules for whats essentially the same business as before. While that may not double my work it will definetly increas the hours i do or they recuit someone else to do it- either way there is an additional cost attached. repeat that exercise for HSSE regs,and everyother type of red tape business deals with and the costs add up.

And I'm not saying they wont deal with it if it happens, I'm just saying they are actualy being honest as saying, Yes costs will increase.

• Replies 69
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I plainy said in my message - that i wasnt saying these costs would be passed on to the consumer. No one can predict that. I can imagine some shady companies using it as an excuse to in the future.

But its an undeniable fact that operating in a country has lost of associated costs, split that country in 2 and the costs increase.

Simply put in my job if its a YES I would have to produce 2 sets of financial statements to comply with 2 differing sets of financial rules for whats essentially the same business as before. While that may not double my work it will definetly increas the hours i do or they recuit someone else to do it- either way there is an additional cost attached. repeat that exercise for HSSE regs,and everyother type of red tape business deals with and the costs add up.

And I'm not saying they wont deal with it if it happens, I'm just saying they are actualy being honest as saying, Yes costs will increase.

The logic of your analysis is that costs would have to go up in both countries :)

Who's to say that all t

Who's to say that all the costs that you list wont be cheaper in Scotland than the UK? I am enjoying hearing another side to the argument, but at this late stage, and because of the NO's disgraceful tactics, I say boycott them all. They want to stop us having our independence, they are now the enemy.

As i sad no one can say, there is so much undecided. as i mentioned if a Scottish Govt set an aggresively low Corp. Tax that would more than offset the additional costs.

But that brings lower tax revenue and runs the risk of the irish model, where they only managed to attract the "shell Co's" (Amazon, Google etc) and no actual jobs or real benefit.

The logic of your analysis is that costs would have to go up in both countries :)

we arent talking countries we are talking any Business. its really simple. At the moment RBS produce one set of financial Accounts. post YES vote they now have to produce 2

thats additional work for teams of people, therefore additional costs. and yes they already do that the world over, its the price of trading globally and they more than recover the costs.

BUT the point here is they have a choice to influence whether there Admin costs go up or not. they have a duty to protect profits.

The timing isnt suspect, its self interest. All these companies have done their costs analysis well in advance. They knew the results but hoped they wouldnt have to admit them.

now that the polls are close - they have to come out and protect their bottom line, even if it means their will be an element of inevitable backlash from the loonies who are intolerant

of others who hold a differing opinion to themselves

we arent talking countries we are talking any Business. its really simple. At the moment RBS produce one set of financial Accounts. post YES vote they now have to produce 2

thats additional work for teams of people, therefore additional costs. and yes they already do that the world over, its the price of trading globally and they more than recover the costs.

BUT the point here is they have a choice to influence whether there Admin costs go up or not. they have a duty to protect profits.

The timing isnt suspect, its self interest. All these companies have done their costs analysis well in advance. They knew the results but hoped they wouldnt have to admit them.

now that the polls are close - they have to come out and protect their bottom line, even if it means their will be an element of inevitable backlash from the loonies who are intolerant

Do they now only operate in one country? That global recession must have been worse than I thought. You dinae half haver some shyte min.

of inevitable backlash from the loonies who are intolerant

Its fuk all to do with having a different opinion - they are doing as Westminster bids - they do not NEED TO SAY ANYTHING. They are companies and not individual.

And I am not an intolerant loony.

But you and all the other scarer's are suggesting that the added costs will only be added to iScotland's account, where as in reality the added costs will be shared/spread pro-rata across both/all operating jurisdictions..

But you and all the other scarer's are suggesting that the added costs will only be added to iScotland's account, where as in reality the added costs will be shared/spread pro-rata across both/all operating jurisdictions..

I'm not and i said that in my iniital email, you cant even assume which way i intend to vote...I'm just saying everyone on here is denying there are added costs which there will be its inevitable and shouldnt be denied. so to jump up and boycott etc is just not living in the real world -just like all the politicans involved, the impacted businesses are only self intersted.

given we have no detail to go on, they will allways play the odds and stick with what they know as a certainty. If they were promsied lower Corp Tax, lower rates etc they would be back in flash and the extra costs are worth it

Ok all fair enough. And the timing of these announcements? Absolutely despicable.

Ok all fair enough. And the timing of these announcements? Absolutely despicable.

as i say the polls have forced their hand, till now they been able to keep schtum and not get involved as it was going there way.

Now its in their interest to speak up. Its not some tory consiparcy its common sense - from there point.

as i say the polls have forced their hand, till now they been able to keep schtum and not get involved as it was going there way.

Now its in their interest to speak up. Its not some tory consiparcy its common sense - from there point.

Absolute tosh

No I still don't get it. Why have the polls suddenly forced their hand? Just because yes is in with a shout? Any respectable business would have cascaded their intentions to shareholders long ago. The current bunch are doing this cos Cameron has told them to and as I say it's disgraceful behaviour. Knowing they may have an influence on the democratic process and still doing so is disgusting behaviour. The people running these companies should be ashamed.

No I still don't get it. Why have the polls suddenly forced their hand? Just because yes is in with a shout? Any respectable business would have cascaded their intentions to shareholders long ago. The current bunch are doing this cos Cameron has told them to and as I say it's disgraceful behaviour. Knowing they may have an influence on the democratic process and still doing so is disgusting behaviour. The people running these companies should be ashamed.

But its not their intentions...its a direct impact of a public vote that will impact their bottom line. Until now its looked liked it would be a no and they wouldnt have to take the political risk of showing their hand. Most businesses when asked have rolled out the line that its a matter for the people of Scotland...blah blah blah. All the while they knew from their costs analysis that if it was a YES they would be hit in the pocket. And from the ones we've spoken to they hope they can get away with passing that cost on to the end customer, but as with everything the dont want to be the one saying that and they'll wait and see how the rest of the market reacts.

You are right they should be ashamed, but only because they are greedy corporate entities - not because the timing of the announcements doesnt suit the your or the wider YES agenda.