European Draws - Page 4 - Football related - Discussion of non TA football - Tartan Army Message Board Jump to content

Only 2 redeeming features for the Dons (and Saints ?)......the first leg is away from home and the Macedonian season doesn't start until the beginning of August as well.

Not sure about the Armenian season.

Do not think for a while yet (Armenian cup final was only a few weeks ago...football fan I have agreed to meet in Yerevan was sending me photos from it).

• Replies 152
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I remember when we drew Sarejvo back in 1997.

Country was still an absolute shell from the war. Killie fans did a march to the stadium and the fell into silence after turning round corner to the stadium and seeing the mass graves on the hillside.

Anyway, there were 200 odd that went over, including a coachload! Know quite a few that went by bus. Fcuk that.

I remember when we drew Sarejvo back in 1997.

Country was still an absolute shell from the war. Killie fans did a march to the stadium and the fell into silence after turning round corner to the stadium and seeing the mass graves on the hillside.

Anyway, there were 200 odd that went over, including a coachload! Know quite a few that went by bus. Fcuk that.

One of my mates was at that. Upset him to this day.

Not too far from Trieste or even Venice. Not bad at all (in terms of travel nae idea about the team)

Rijeka had some decent results in the group stages last year, and apparently they sold a player recently for £ 9 million..... :blink:

Still, it's a winnable tie.....would also mean that Aberdeen would be seeded in the 3rd round if we won ? :blink:

They play in a town called Tetovo, which has a majority Albanian population and may, or may not be, at war with someone at this moment in time.

One of the biggest hotels in town (and I'm not anticipating a plethora) is the 'Hotel Petrol Company'.

Nae idea if you can get a bevvy there.

Been to Macedonia once...the women were stunning, the guys were thieving f*ckers trying to scam you at every turn. And that was in Skopje, the Macedonian New York....feck knows what out in the sticks will be like.

When we were in Macedonia the first time 16 of my mates from Dunbar contacted the same travel agent as I did to get them digs. He didn't get them anything in Skopje but got them a hotel in Tetovo, promising them it was the "party city of Macedonia". It wasn't.

I saw them on the day of the game, they said locals were less than welcoming.

We also went to pick them up on the morning after the game as we were all heading back by mini-bus to Thessaloniki together. That was a mini-bus that was supposed to actually be a private taxi, but was an 18 seater mini-bus....for 19 people in total.

My last memory of Macedonia was the cops pulling our bus at 9 in the morning and trying to extort €900 from our bus driver. Who thankfully had the local mafia on speed dial and got them on the phone to speak to the police who then let us on our way.

All of the above sums up Macedonia for me, good luck any Dons who are going.

I'm just back from Ohrid after having a great time in 2008. Fantastic holiday. Friendly folk, amazing history, great food and cheap booze... 70 quid return from Luton to Ohrid 1st to 5th. 2 hour drive. If I was a Don I'd be getting it booked up now!

My last memory of Macedonia was the cops pulling our bus at 9 in the morning and trying to extort €900 from our bus driver. Who thankfully had the local mafia on speed dial and got them on the phone to speak to the police who then let us on our way.

The one and only time I've ever had to pay a bribe was in Macedonia. Admittedly my inter rail ticket wasn't valid in the country, but the way the guard stuffed the Dollars in his pocket, smiled and said 'BEER!' indicates that it wasn't exactly an above-board transaction.

The one and only time I've ever had to pay a bribe was in Macedonia. Admittedly my inter rail ticket wasn't valid in the country, but the way the guard stuffed the Dollars in his pocket, smiled and said 'BEER!' indicates that it wasn't exactly an above-board transaction.

:lol:

They were really annoying in Skopje. One of these bars in the strip by the river had 2 different price lists...one for tourists, one for locals, and we heard numerous stories of TA being utterly ripped-off by taxi drivers, barmen, restaurants, hookers, you name it.

It's the worst place I've been in Europe for blatant.....'you've got money, we haven't, give us it'.....thievery and iness.

:lol:

They were really annoying in Skopje. One of these bars in the strip by the river had 2 different price lists...one for tourists, one for locals, and we heard numerous stories of TA being utterly ripped-off by taxi drivers, barmen, restaurants, hookers, you name it.

It's the worst place I've been in Europe for blatant.....'you've got money, we haven't, give us it'.....thievery and iness.

Nah, the river front it was certain bar staff.

If you asked for a receipt, what was on the receipt was less than they were asking for.

Nah, the river front it was certain bar staff.

If you asked for a receipt, what was on the receipt was less than they were asking for.

We were there with Macedonian friends.

They asked for a drinks menu, and confirmed the one written in Cyrillic had prices around a 1/4 of the English menus...