Players To Break Through Next Season - TA specific - Tartan Army Message Board Jump to content

Players To Break Through Next Season

kmcca5

Just looking at our squad and we have a lot of players turned or turning 30 in the next year or so and will probably only have one more qualifying campaign in them. It got me to thinking who do you tip to make the break through into the Scotland Squad in the next twelve months?

Think Strachans squad is pretty settled these days, and can not see many younger players breaking into his squad pre Euro Championships (if we make it) as he will stick to the guys who got us there (unless there is a player who really stands out that is......)

Would expect to maybe see a couple of younger players involved in friendlies pre-tournament, but these will mostly be with one eye on seeing them introduced to the squad after the finals, and will not break into the team straight away.

Think Strachans squad is pretty settled these days, and can not see many younger players breaking into his squad pre Euro Championships (if we make it) as he will stick to the guys who got us there (unless there is a player who really stands out that is......)

Would expect to maybe see a couple of younger players involved in friendlies pre-tournament, but these will mostly be with one eye on seeing them introduced to the squad after the finals, and will not break into the team straight away.

Yes I totally agree with this. Aside from players like Mackay-Stevens and Armstrong I don't see any major changes or breakthroughs into the squad.

I seriously hope that Mackay-Stevens and Armstrong start well at Celtic and break into the Scotland squad. If Matt Richie can get a game it is Criminal they aren't even in the squad.

I know he is a Left back but what is Stephen Hendrie at Hamilton like, is he any good?

From what I saw when Aberdeen pumped them 3-0 going on 7 in February, he was rank rotten. Shinnie is the best bet of a left back coming in if Robertson, Forsyth or Whittaker get injured/suspended.

Jack Grimmer if he can get a full season at Fulham and avoid Injury

John Souttar if he can get a full season at Dundee United and avoid Injury

Alex Davy if he can get another loan move and again avoid Injury

Barry Douglas perhaps, admittedly seen very little of him but have heard he's playing well for Lech Poznan.

It would be worth putting him in for a Friendly to see what he is like especially as Left Back seems to be an issue at the moment. More choice the better.

History suggests that any player breaking into the squad/team will come from the English lower leagues rather than the Scottish Premiership.

Strachan seems to have a blind spot for that. Not a criticism, as long as it keeps on working out.

If anyone will break through from Scotland, it'll be Armstrong or Jack.

More likely to be some gadgie from Rotherham though that doesn't even know that he has a Scottish grandad.