Scottish Bank And Businesses To Use Or Not. - Anything Goes - Other topics not covered elsewhere - Tartan Army Message Board Jump to content

Scottish Bank And Businesses To Use Or Not.

I have been with the Royal Bank of Scotland for over 26 years and have several accounts there along with my house insurance.

What would be a good Scottish bank to use (if there are any left) if they go ahead with their threat to leave.

Remember what happened to Bells when they moved their HQ away from Perth, went from the leading brand to an also ran

overnight and Grouse took over as the top selling brand in Scotland. Bells is shite right enough.

• Replies 84
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

There are no such things as Scottish banks anymore. They are all global multinationals.

They'll move the brass plaque and this about it. You can't suddenly pick up 20,000 skilled workers and shift them 500 miles, and by the same token there aren't 20,000 skilled workers lying around in London waiting for them.

Interestingly, Radio4 Today programme just said that the bank stuff isn't a game changer, Jim Naughtie of all people making the point that if you spoke to the average voter in Glasgow about it you'd get a "fairly dusty response".

Edited by biffer

In the Herald online today....Ross McEwan has said he has not even spoken to Vince Cable, after the latter said RBS would have to move to London. Mr. McEwan said RBS would adapt to still being able to serve the UK after independence whilst being based in Scotland.

I spoke to my brother last night, he used to work in a senior role at RBS. He was speaking to some contacts at rbs and lloyds and they basically told him that the treasury has told all the banks that if they want to be able to continue to trade in rUK post yes then they must move their head offices to England.

Basically blackmail. Results in something like 8% of GDP disappearing.

There are no such things as Scottish banks anymore. They are all global multinationals.

They'll move the brass plaque and this about it. You can't suddenly pick up 20,000 skilled workers and shift them 500 miles, and by the same token there aren't 20,000 skilled workers lying around in London waiting for them.

Interestingly, Radio4 Today programme just said that the bank stuff isn't a game changer, Jim Naughtie of all people making the point that if you spoke to the average voter in Glasgow about it you'd get a "fairly dusty response".

YES can make this in our advantage. Westminster & banks vs Scotland.

I am with the RBS ( but not for long ). This is Financial Terrorism from an effin bank that Scottish taxpayers helped to bail out as well, and still far away from paying us back. As the so called poll stands at the moment, they are THREATENING half the country. IF and when we vote YES, I for one want Scotlands share of the bailout returned to us at the same speed as they take to leave Scotland. As for BP, they are not going anywhere until they get their last barrel out of the oilfields in our waters. England is welcome to them as this bank has form for mismanagement ,like a bus there will be another one along soon.

Their statement also is quite precise - they want to "re-domicile the Bank's holding company". Code for moving the group address frankly, and that's important.

RBS Group is a holding company, the banking is done through the subsidiary companies - The Royal Bank of Scotland, National Westminster, Ulster Bank, Citizens Bank, etc. They have explicitly said it's the holding company, not the banking operations, that may move.

Most people will see this as a Threat to shut down in Scotland. The elderly like me and most other people will see it as that. and that is their INTENTION.

I am with the RBS ( but not for long ). This is Financial Terrorism from an effin bank that Scottish taxpayers helped to bail out as well, and still far away from paying us back. As the so called poll stands at the moment, they are THREATENING half the country. IF and when we vote YES, I for one want Scotlands share of the bailout returned to us at the same speed as they take to leave Scotland. As for BP, they are not going anywhere until they get their last barrel out of the oilfields in our waters. England is welcome to them as this bank has form for mismanagement ,like a bus there will be another one along soon.

If and when you vote yes Scotland will be debt free as you will continue to use the pound without a currency union and walk away from the debt . I doubt HMT will write you a kite for 8.3% of the bailout money ;-) Get all your money into a bank that remains in Scotland that has no lender of last resort other than the newly independent Scotlands main bank account. Think you'll find that no matter how big most peoples nationalist leanings they will leave their money where it is !!

If and when you vote yes Scotland will be debt free as you will continue to use the pound without a currency union and walk away from the debt . I doubt HMT will write you a kite for 8.3% of the bailout money ;-) Get all your money into a bank that remains in Scotland that has no lender of last resort other than the newly independent Scotlands main bank account. Think you'll find that no matter how big most peoples nationalist leanings they will leave their money where it is !!

Actually, not having a Lender of Last Resort leads to a more stable financial services industry.