3 Wins And We Qualify!? - Page 3 - TA specific - Tartan Army Message Board Jump to content

3 Wins And We Qualify!?

macwomble

Hungary are ahead for now but that is only the case as the Faroes are currently in 4th place. If they drop down by the end of the group Hungary immediately lose 2 pts as the Faroes points currently count. We need Greece to get their finger out and win 4 pts more than the Faroes in the remaining games.

Equally you are incorrect about Switzerland. If they win today they will be in the top 2 pushing Slovenia into 3rd place in that group and they actually only have 6 pts against the other top 4 sides in that group. It is very unlikely that will be the group the best 3rd place team comes from as Slovenia are likely to be 3rd and have lost 3 times already.

Greece are awful and will probably finish bottom.

Good point about the Swiss. It's all very confusing. ;)

• Replies 70
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Assuming Scotland beat Georgia & Gibraltar ( I know ) Ireland need to win against either Poland / Germany for Scotland to finish 4th.

From here on even allowing for us only picking up another four points from here (draw in Georgia and win in Gibraltar with losses V Poland and Germany which I'd say is being very pessimistic) then Ireland would still need to pick up a bare minimum of seven points from their last four matches (most likely of that would be wins against Georgia and Gibraltar and either a point away to Poland or at home to Germany).

Win in Tbilisi and feel we have confirmed a play off spot at least (though my gut feeling is we have already as I can not see where Ireland will pick up 1 more point than us over the final set of games) and will look to higher in the groups once that game is out the way.....

Win in Tbilisi and feel we have confirmed a play off spot at least (though my gut feeling is we have already as I can not see where Ireland will pick up 1 more point than us over the final set of games) and will look to higher in the groups once that game is out the way.....

I agree. It won't be easy but is certainly do able - Ireland proved that. We must approach the match believing we will win rather than hoping to win - and that is the team I am talking about. The good thing is we have scored in every game in the group so far so we may not be prolific but we are consistent. One goal will do it for us over there I feel.

The good thing is we have scored in every game in the group so far so we may not be prolific but we are consistent. One goal will do it for us over there I feel.

I believe we have now scored in our last 12 matches since the USA 0-0 draw.

win v georgia, draw v germany, draw v poland and a win v gibraltar, 19 points enough i hope.

You would think so. If not as top 2 then surely that would be enough for best 3rd place team.

Edit to add, it's great that we are at least in there with a great chance. Only 2 years ago we were first European Team to not be able to qualify and playing for pride and ranking points after 4 or 5 games.

Edited by Jagtag

You would think so. If not as top 2 then surely that would be enough for best 3rd place team.

Edit to add, it's great that we are at least in there with a great chance. Only 2 years ago we were first European Team to not be able to qualify and playing for pride and ranking points after 4 or 5 games.

yip its not a bad time to be a scotland fan. Great to see people around me getting excited about the scotland team again.

19pts won't be enough to be best 3rd place team as you have to deduct 6pts for the 2 Gibraltar games giving us 13pts. We will need a minimum of 14pts to have a chance of that which means winning one of the Poland or Germany games. This would likely see us qualify automatically anyway especially if it's against Poland.

19pts won't be enough to be best 3rd place team as you have to deduct 6pts for the 2 Gibraltar games giving us 13pts. We will need a minimum of 14pts to have a chance of that which means winning one of the Poland or Germany games. This would likely see us qualify automatically anyway especially if it's against Poland.

Agree with this. I've been looking at group A and the fixtures remaining and just can't see any of the top 3 in that group finishing with less than 19 points. I think we will end up with either 18 points or 20 depending on the poland at home result. With 18 we will be in the play offs and with 20 we'll be through automatically.

1. Ukraine - Points 12, Goal Difference 7

2. Scotland - Points 11, Goal Difference 6

3. Hungary - Points 11, Goal Difference 2

4. Holland - Points 10, Goal Difference 7

5. Norway - Points 10, Goal Difference -1

6. Slovenia - Points 9, Goal Difference 5

7. Israel - Points 9, Goal Difference 1

8. Russia - Points 8, Goal Difference 5

9. Albania - Points 7, Goal Difference -1

So this is what the table of 3rd placed teams looks like at the moment if my maths is correct, with us sitting in second, only 1 goal behind Ukraine!

So this is what the table of 3rd placed teams looks like at the moment if my maths is correct, with us sitting in second, only 1 goal behind Ukraine!

and 1 point...

This is not how it works mate. At the moment Hungary are best placed as the Faroes have beaten Greece twice meaning points against them count. That group is best placed currently.

If you scroll down this page you will find the up to date standings.

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/UEFA_Euro_2016_qualifying

Aye brown/Hutton were big losses as both were on fire at the time. Added to the fact Fletcher wasn't fit in the slightest was a huge mistake by Eck.

I always remember that those 2 dropped out injured but both made miraculous recoveries to play in the Old Firm game a few days later that weekend:(

With our 3 hardest away games done and "assuming" Germany beat Poland, beating Poland and Georgia puts us through automatically (with Gibraltar as a given).

This also assumes that Poland are able to take 3 points from their last game with Ireland.

Let's not forget, our destiny is absolutely still within our own hands.

If there's one thing we've learned this campaign it's not to rely on other results because they haven't went our way (Germans dropping 5 points against Poland and Ireland and Georgia not taking anything from the two home games against the same teams). If we do our job, beat the Georgians and Poles at least, then we'll qualify in second place as there's no way we'll drop points in Gibraltar on the final game.