John Smith Stadium Huddersfield - Anything Goes - Other topics not covered elsewhere - Tartan Army Message Board Jump to content

John Smith Stadium Huddersfield

I see you also celebrated our local tradition of welcoming visitors by donating them the points.

If you go again, there is on-street parking for free the opposite side of Leeds road, around Ricky's bar or a few off-road parking areas on the housing estate that borders the ground. Let me know if you're going again & I'll send you some satnav refs.

Been there to see Huddersfield v Sheffield Wednesday. Its a great ground and Huddersfield has some brilliant pubs :ok:

Oddly enough I nearly posted a drunken message the other night but lost concentration half way through. I'd been in one of the real ale pubs in town drinking Glaswegian real ale & English whisky (it was OK to be fair, but not sure I'd buy a bottle). As a rule I've never been a big fan of Scottish beer but this one (called Jenny's hop or something was really good; I left the pub thinking 'I'll remember that one', but couldn't actually remember my own middle name by the time I got home.

I've posted this link before but anyone in the area this is an great way to spend a day on the bevvy:

http://www.realaletrail.net/

Might be this one you were drinking - http://www.perfectpint.co.uk/real-ale-beers-info/28924/Ayr-Brewing-Co/Jennys-Jig

Never seen that real ale trail before but the King's Head was one of the pubs I was thinking of. Head Of Steam next door always gets mentioned but I much prefer the King's Head.

Other ones I remember as being good were The Grove, The Sportsman, and a place in town that did great scran called Northern Taps.

Might be this one you were drinking - http://www.perfectpint.co.uk/real-ale-beers-info/28924/Ayr-Brewing-Co/Jennys-Jig

Never seen that real ale trail before but the King's Head was one of the pubs I was thinking of. Head Of Steam next door always gets mentioned but I much prefer the King's Head.

Other ones I remember as being good were The Grove, The Sportsman, and a place in town that did great scran called Northern Taps.

That is precisely the one, & it was the Grove serving it. That's an odd pub these days; I used to manage a homesless hostel around the corner for many years & the Grove was an utterly downbeat slum of a pub but has gone very trendy these days. The others are good, plus there's the Rat & Ratchet just outside town which does homebrew & various other ales.

plus there's the Rat & Ratchet just outside town which does homebrew & various other ales.

Have heard of that place - will have to give it a go when Im (hopefully) down next season.

The Grove is a great boozer. To be honest, I think the north of England is better at these kind of places than Scotland. Too many pubs in Scotland sell the same sh*t lager/beer, whereas you go to Huddersfield or Sheffield and there seems to be more places focusing on local beers, or more unusual beers.

Or maybe I just drink in too many rubbish pubs up here :-))

I wondered why wigan came on to the pitch from different side of ground to huddersfield. Unfortunately was working last night so couldnt sample the beers. Wigan was closesr rugby league team to me when i lived in blackpool so support them ..but irs anothrr ground notched up in my super league grounds.

Cheers

Demolished ????

Thought it was a gold mine ; packed

Was in late 90s ; pre austerity / recession etc tho

It's one of those rumbling local controversies & nothing really to do with the recession, more about some long-running battle between the council & the landowners. They started building a replacement & had to knock it down.

Been twice to see Leeds and really enjoyed it.

In other news I was in Donny for 2 nights this weekend and a bigger hole I don't think you can find. A hovel of a town but the folk are spot on. Biscuit Billy's is something else. :shocked: