Tactical Voting - Anything Goes - Other topics not covered elsewhere - Tartan Army Message Board Jump to content

We've heard a lot about possible tactical voting in this election, although the ubiquitous Prof Curtice reckons it's unlikely to be effective in most constituencies as the SNP are comfortably ahead in the polls in them.

However, my constituency, Edinburgh West, is one that is reckoned to be very close between the SNP and the incumbent Lib Dem. It's now less than 2 weeks away, folk are already postal voting and I've not yet had a single leaflet from the Labour or Tory candidates. There's been one from the Greens, quite a few from the SNP and virtually one a day from the Lib Dems telling me they're the only party that can stop the SNP in this seat. Now Labour and the Tories won't be a factor but you'd still expect one leaflet from each of them, so I'm beginning to wonder if it's a definite decision to leave the way clear for their prospective voters to vote Lib Dem instead. Has anyone else in Edinburgh West received anything from either party?

What about other constituencies? Do you have candidates that don't appear to be campaigning at all that you would usually expect to hear something from?

The shitty Lib Dem rats are the only party with candidates that are fully advocating it

Newsnight last night had Charles Kennedy justifying and begging for it in what is a complete affront to democracy

As much as i cant stand Ruthie she made her disgust of tactical voting clear

I am voting for a Stronger Scotland! Tactical voting was an invention of liebours in the days of thatcher. Nowadays your tactics are UK which means there all the same or change which brings challenge to their table. How unequal is equal, union should be solidarity, our union was never equal and never will or can be. Hence the English votes for English laws. Now that's something they should have thought about in 1707. Then again they would never have imagined then that they would ever have to face a stronger Scotland. We won't go away..

The whole point of voting in an election is voting for the candidate and party that you most believe in. Ruth Davidson said as much in recent weeks and whilst I would never vote for her she commanded my respect for saying this in public.

It sums up how desperate the Establishment parties are at the moment. Unless you are a complete rabid Bitter Together supporter who can't see past their hatred of Salmond, then I reckon most folk will place their vote for their actual favoured candidate.

We've heard a lot about possible tactical voting in this election, although the ubiquitous Prof Curtice reckons it's unlikely to be effective in most constituencies as the SNP are comfortably ahead in the polls in them.

However, my constituency, Edinburgh West, is one that is reckoned to be very close between the SNP and the incumbent Lib Dem. It's now less than 2 weeks away, folk are already postal voting and I've not yet had a single leaflet from the Labour or Tory candidates. There's been one from the Greens, quite a few from the SNP and virtually one a day from the Lib Dems telling me they're the only party that can stop the SNP in this seat. Now Labour and the Tories won't be a factor but you'd still expect one leaflet from each of them, so I'm beginning to wonder if it's a definite decision to leave the way clear for their prospective voters to vote Lib Dem instead. Has anyone else in Edinburgh West received anything from either party?

What about other constituencies? Do you have candidates that don't appear to be campaigning at all that you would usually expect to hear something from?

Lest we forget, our capital is full of Nawbags.

I'd love to see Tom Harris lose his seat- I was chapping doors in that constituency on Sept 18th. They voted yes, hopefully they vote him out

Harris is a certainty to go. I took a walk up Clarkston Road yesterday and there were SNP posters in windows everywhere - didn't see a single Labour poster. My Ruth one isn't going down too well with the neighbours.

Having wiped out the balance on my Paddy Power account over the referendum result, i'm not in a position to place any bets.

I still blame Flure for getting my hopes up :P

14%. So seeing that nationally snp lead is 20-26%, not too much worry

Hmmm. SNP lead generally isn't as much as that is it? Isn't it the swing that's around 20-26%?

IMO, there's little chance now of the SNP getting below 20, but over 30 (and being the majority in Scotland) should still be the target. Over 40 is looking good but I dont think it takes much of a swing in the polling figures for projections to move from 50+ to <40.