Orange Walk - Page 15 - Anything Goes - Other topics not covered elsewhere - Tartan Army Message Board Jump to content

You estimate away, though your opinion seem to moving from it's about killing Catholics to getting one over on them and there a significant difference between those two positions.

You think the brain dead don't correlate between the slaughter of Catholics and getting one over on the Tims? :lol:

• Replies 524
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

You estimate away, though your opinion seem to moving from it's about killing Catholics to getting one over on them and there a significant difference between those two positions.

Celebrating the historical killing of catholics to get one over them?

I have no idea i "hate" them cause they wrecked my sleep for 3 months, banning shit is how you treat children not adults.

So you're back to slaughter now.

Are we just going round in circles here? The slaughter of Catholics is what is celebrated. The brain dead use this fact to "get one over" on "them".

Sad as . :worried:

There were Catholics on both sides of the battle of the Boyne. Williams army was financially backed by Rome. The Pope had had a falling out with France at the time so he sided with the Dutch.

Are we just going round in circles here? The slaughter of Catholics is what is celebrated. The brain dead use this fact to "get one over" on "them".

Sad as . :worried:

It's you that's going round in circles, so to be clear your assertion is now that the Battle of Boyne was not actually a military engagement but the slaughter of innocent Catholics by an army?

I tried to cross during the Commonwealth games & had to wait a while as I've also had to do on the days of Orange walks - I must just have been unlucky with timing though as I generally avoid the town if there are any big events/parades or demos on.

Aye but the Commonwealth games is every four years this was every night i was there (in July 2002 in Limavady end of June into start of July). My objection has been the sheer volume of celebration on consecutive nights/weekends for weeks before and after the actual date (which is the wrong date for the battle anyway , or so i read) as opposed to the actual celebrations which, like you, i generally just avoid the town/area it is.

Reading back in this thread (i had been skimming it before) it seems a lot of conflation between "protestant" "hun" "Orangeman" "Rangers fan" etc.

There were Catholics on both sides of the battle of the Boyne. Williams army was financially backed by Rome. The Pope had had a falling out with France at the time so he sided with the Dutch.

Indeed it was to some extent a proxy war, but why should issues like facts be taken into consideration.

King Billy introduced the Toleration act which ostensibly pardoned everyone but catholics, but the history is co0mplicated and a lot of it wasn't the "will of the people" as opposed to peasants being told what to do by folk.

EDIT: following on from above, yeah it was a grand alliance versus France, the boyne being the first victory securing further allies and reducing the threat to europe from France for another 100 years anyway.

Edited by phart

It's you that's going round in circles, so to be clear your assertion is now that the Battle of Boyne was not actually a military engagement but the slaughter of innocent Catholics by an army?

My statement is that these morons that are marching do so to commemorate the loss of Catholics. I'm sure you know that, but you keep turning it back around like a game of tennis. Do you honestly believe that the brain dead are dealing with facts? Or do you maybe think the prime reason for dusting off the bowler hat, donning the sovvy rings, and slapping on the sash are an excuse to get one over on the other side? :wink2:

My statement is that these morons that are marching do so to commemorate the loss of Catholics. I'm sure you know that, but you keep turning it back around like a game of tennis. Do you honestly believe that the brain dead are dealing with facts? Or do you maybe think the prime reason for dusting off the bowler hat, donning the sovvy rings, and slapping on the sash are an excuse to get one over on the other side? :wink2:

So we're now down to loss from a slaughter.

In my opinion the biggest flaw in orangeism is that it far too triumphalist. If it focused on celebrating what they are and their heritage then there would be nothing wrong with it as it stands there's too much focus on what they are not which is small minded and leads to the kind of unacceptable baggage that the organisation has.

Edited by Larky Masher

Should that not be The Wolf 1690tones?

I think you've missed the joke.

Was a reference to a rangers fan that doesn't seem to post anymore called "the wolf1980".

On that note, another bandname/Rangers fan just came into my head..

Nelbow

what a sad thread this is. Hard to believe that in 21st century Scotland we still have enough bigots to fill George Square. Just one more reason to long for our Independence and, eventually, a republic