Opposition Debate - Page 12 - Anything Goes - Other topics not covered elsewhere - Tartan Army Message Board Jump to content

Opposition Debate

But while we're at, here are my options in my constituency:

SNP

Labour

Tory

UKIP

Are you suggesting that if I don't vote SNP that I'm a Unionist? Is that what you're getting at? Is that really your logic?

My logic would be that by voting labour you are supporting the current Westminster set up. One of my main reasons for voting yes and voting SNP is a desire for a more relevant government who might be able to achieve a fairer society. Its a vote for change - by voting labour you are giving up on change. Its a vote for more of the same really. You are supporting the political set up of one of the most unequal societies in western Europe. That I can't understand.

• Replies 313
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

My logic would be that by voting labour you are supporting the current Westminster set up. One of my main reasons for voting yes and voting SNP is a desire for a more relevant government who might be able to achieve a fairer society. Its a vote for change - by voting labour you are giving up on change. Its a vote for more of the same really. You are supporting the political set up of one of the most unequal societies in western Europe. That I can't understand.

I've explained my position on this numerous times. Neither the SNP or Labour would win my vote on party line, both are parties of expedience who deliberately mislead people, just as SNP supporters see no difference between Labour and Tory I see no difference between SNP and Labour. Just now I have a hard working MP who works tirelessly for the local area against issues arising from both Westminster and Holyrood, while my MSP sits on his hands and does absolutely nothing. I see absolutely no benefit whatsoever, none, in replacing her with an SNP MP who will be forbidden from speaking out when her party line is detrimental to the local area.

Edit: If I had a TUSC candidate in my area they'd probably get my vote, there has to be a line where I'd cut Katy loose, albeit with a heavy heart :(

Edited by Scunnered

"But while we're at, here are my options in my constituency:

SNP
Labour
Tory
UKIP

Are you suggesting that if I don't vote SNP that I'm a Unionist? Is that what you're getting at? Is that really your logic?"

SNP

TORY LIGHT

TORY CENTRE

TORY [extreme] RIGHT

I'm not suggesting that, I am suggesting that if you vote for a unionist party you are giving them the comfort of knowing that you're happy with the status quo.

Edited by antidote

"But while we're at, here are my options in my constituency:

SNP

Labour

Tory

UKIP

Are you suggesting that if I don't vote SNP that I'm a Unionist? Is that what you're getting at? Is that really your logic?"

TORY LIGHT

TORY LIGHT

TORY CENTRE

TORY [extreme] RIGHT

I'm not suggesting that, I am suggesting that you are giving them a the comfort of knowing that you're happy with the status quo.

Yawn.

I am just happy that we have a party that is putting the wind up the Westminster establishment and making them pay attention Scotland and as a knock on effect to other areas in in England they seem to forget exist.

Scotland has some very different needs and even if Labour and the SNP were the same on most things on this one thing they are different. I am just glad that for once we seem to matter and it is very obvious from the reaction of the British establishment they don't want us to have any sort of influence. So if nothing else this is a reason to vote SNP. We are a Union and I want it to be an equal one as long as we have to be in it.

Edited by Lamia

I am just happy that we have a party that is putting the wind up the Westminster establishment and making them pay attention Scotland and as a knock on effect to other areas in in England they seem to forget exist.

Scotland has some very different needs and even if Labour and the SNP were the same on most things on this one thing they are different. I am just glad that for once we seem to matter and it is very obvious from the reaction of the British establishment they don't want us to have any sort of influence. So if nothing else this is a reason to vote SNP. We are a Union and I want it to be an equal one as long as we have to be in it.

I can agree with much of that. Perhaps if the SNP had a decent candidate, I was prepared to back Gary O'Rourke before his withdrawal, or at the very least were trustworthy on the issues that matter to me it would be different.

The best thing, for lack of a better term with the way the election is going is that it's becoming impossible to ignore what Westminster and the media establishment think of Scotland's place within the union.

- we were desperate for you to stay but only if you vote for a unionist party.

What did better together think would happen? Did they really think the people who voted yes would just go back to Labour "to keep the Tories out"?

It saddens me that we are moving closer and closer to a presidential electoral system.

Scunnered appears to be getting chastised for wanting to vote for the best person to representing his local area. I may be in the minority but that was always my primary consideration when marking my ballot paper.

What did better together think would happen? Did they really think the people who voted yes would just go back to Labour "to keep the Tories out"?

They definitely did. Hence Hothersalls "Better Together - Spending Tory money to win Labour votes" comment.

With Patricia Gibson only managing to get two activists to canvass Kilwinning* this morning it seems her campaign manager has finally realised that Yes doesn't mean SNP... Despite his candidates assertion that it does...

I know & respect that those of you who are not SNP supporters may have issues with delivering SNP materials but am asking all on this list to at least consider assisting our shared Independence cause by helping in this way.

* in fairness I was never keen on canvassing Kilwinning for Yes/RIC either.

The best thing, for lack of a better term with the way the election is going is that it's becoming impossible to ignore what Westminster and the media establishment think of Scotland's place within the union.

- we were desperate for you to stay but only if you vote for a unionist party.

Labour did. The Tories are quite happy if they don't. The Tories have been screwing Labour over throughout the process and Labour have been willingly letting them

Labour did. The Tories are quite happy if they don't. The Tories have been screwing Labour over throughout the process and Labour have been willingly letting them

Much like the Sturgeon-French Ambassador debacle a couple of weeks ago.

Scunnered appears to be getting chastised for wanting to vote for the best person to representing his local area. I may be in the minority but that was always my primary consideration when marking my ballot paper.

Agreed.

Quicker we can win Indy the better for politics in Scotland (and the UK)

The Tories must realise that if Labour loses Scotland then the chances of Scotland voting for Indy greatly increase.

I don't think the Tories want this despite how bizarre they act at times

The Tories must realise that if Labour loses Scotland then the chances of Scotland voting for Indy greatly increase.

I don't think the Tories want this despite how bizarre they act at times

It's thought by many that Conservatives desire Scottish Independence, I've not seen anything to dispute this line of thinking.

Scunnered

If Katy looses the vote my a good margin and knew it was because of her being a labour candidate would that make her move to another party or would she carry on regardless. IMO its not her that people don't like but the labour party and could cause voters to vote against her because of this

He's supporting ONE particular Labour candidate as he believes she would be the best MP for his area.

I am fairly sure I know him better than you do and I'd be astonished if he wants folk like Alexander, Murphy, Davidson et al returned on 7th May.

I ken.

I'm just trying help him come out of the closet. He supports Labour, or at least a wee part of it, in his neck of the woods, but he still tries to tell us that he isn't Labour. I'm just trying to help him come to terms with his identity. It might be helpful to him if he accepts it's nothing to be ashamed of. :wink2:

A misjudgment, Tory and corporate intervention increased support for devolution, although then it was barely needed.

Now who's been really silly to think that. :blink:

I don't think you're a plant, I think you're at the wind up with your nonsense.

We all know you voted YES. :wave::ok::-))

Eeee

Scunnered

If Katy looses the voteeeee my a good margin and knew it was because of her being a labour could that make her move to another party or would she carry on regardless. IMO its not her that people don't like but the labour party and could cause voters to vote against her because of this

She was asked this just last week at a hustings. She'd stay in the Labour party and would continue her work within Labour Left and in her capacity within the TU.

A misjudgment, Tory and corporate intervention increased support for devolution, although then it was barely needed.

Now who's been really silly to think that. :blink:

I don't think you're a plant, I think you're at the wind up with your nonsense.

We all know you voted YES. :wave::ok::-))

Think about it. An independent Scotland with an SNP government would give the Tories their ammunition to lower corp tax south of the border.

Foster of CPGB has done quite a bit of writing on the subject, it's food for thought and very plausible.