Polls - Page 10 - Anything Goes - Other topics not covered elsewhere - Tartan Army Message Board Jump to content

I'm slightly worried that people won't see the need for independence if we get FFA - this is my only concern with it.

I look at it the other way....succesful FFA will remove any real argument against independence.

I think home rule is essential before full independence.

• Replies 1.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Guest flumax

I'm slightly worried that people won't see the need for independence if we get FFA - this is my only concern with it.

That was labours hope re: having a Scottish parliament... Didn't stop independence ideas

A fair concern but one that will just have to tolerated. There is no conceivable way we could say to FFA. Passing up the chance runs the risk of never seeing the opportunity again. Even if the SNP wanted to snub an offer of FFA, they couldn't in all seriousness say No. It would be political suicide IMO - they'd be cornered by a UK establishment that knew it was all or nothing for Scotland. If FFA comes up now, the SNP will have to accept it.

That said, it absolutely will not be offered which makes a mockery of all the current political posturing by Labour. The UK establishment will have no problem with Scotland hanging on by a thread. While it causes a constitutional nightmare, it's a price worth paying if it means they get to defer dealing with the Scotland problem. In the meantime, they hope for a gamechanger that will sink the SNP sink and they can go back to normal.

It's effectively a big game of patience.

I look at it the other way....succesful FFA will remove any real argument against independence.

Which is exactly why it will not be offered. It almost validates independence. It's a stepping stone to independence with a lot of the risks underwritten by the UK taxpayer. Borrowing, Scottish treasury, new Scottish Governmental departments, etc all funded by UK Treasury. Once those are all resolved, what really is the UK argument against independence - a nuclear deterrent? No chance.

True. We'd not have defence and foreign affairs with FFA - one of the things that I, personally, want the most for Scotland.

"I'm slightly worried that people won't see the need for independence if we get FFA - this is my only concern with it."

Don't be, once, or when we get FFA the English will kick us out as we will be of no longer use to them.

There's more than one way to skin an Independence cat you know. :-))

Accept it - she wouldn't pass it up, surely...

Trust the Tories, mmmmm

Labour would have a reserection with this

I think she would have to accept it tho

Tell the Tories , give us it within 6 months and we wont vote on any English laws... FFA within a year of a naw vote :ok::ok:

Once we have FFA and its shown to work, it will seem crazy that we still need rest of UK to look after our defence and foreign affairs. It will feel more of an independent country than it does now (both culturally and politically) because all major decisions will be made in Edinburgh.

There is big parallels with the Quebec referendums. They lost the first vote with a bigger margin than we did, we are starting with a better base and they missed the second vote by under 1%.

My gut is we wont see another referendum until around 2018 onwards, we will get there.

Accept it - she wouldn't pass it up, surely...

No chance. Not a cat in hells chance of Sturgeon voting in a Tory government. All the hard work done till now would disappear like snow of a dyke the moment after it was done.

No chance. Not a cat in hells chance of Sturgeon voting in a Tory government. All the hard work done till now would disappear like snow of a dyke the moment after it was done.

I miss read the quote - I read it as "Watch the tories offer FFA to SNP in the next Parliament... what will Nicola do...." :blush:

I wouldn't do it to support a Conservative government - no.

Guest flumax

But Tories wouldn't need snp support if they didn't sit in return for FFA. A parliament of 591 (-SF) would mean 290 odd seats would do it forever. Tories would have rUK sown up.

Can't see it happening though.

Edited by flumax

to be clear

The Tories are masters at keeping power, they will do anything to hold onto power..

If the Tories need the SNP seats, or, more likely, if they neutralise them so Labour cant use them, and therefore give the Tories a bigger working group....

What If the Tories put FFA in a Queens speach, and dare the SNP to vote against it...

What would Nicola do..

FFA is great for Scotland, but a deal with the Tories could kill the SNP..

What is more imprtant to Nicola, Scotland or the SNP.....

Good question, and Cameron and Osborne are devious barstewards. FFA offered by Tories would be a poisoned chalice as it would be given on their terms. Sturgeon couldnt do a deal as rightly or wrongly it would be seen as a betrayal.

So are we saying .... Tories say don't deal with labour and we will offer FFA ? Is that the idea?

AYE... I can see the offer coming

stay out of English affairs, EVEL and we will give u FFA....... Labour Played and Phukked over agian by the Tories and Cameron/(osborne really) gets another shot

There is big parallels with the Quebec referendums. They lost the first vote with a bigger margin than we did, we are starting with a better base and they missed the second vote by under 1%.

My gut is we wont see another referendum until around 2018 onwards, we will get there.

If it's like Quebec we won't see another referendum until about 2030...

The other thing to consider is the turnout. I think the passion shown by the Yes campaign has enthused people and is more likely to take a stronger hold. In this respect the vast numbers who weren't normally voters will return to their lack of concern in greater numbers on all sides EXCEPT the SNP.

I think this is why they holding such a lead in the polls.

Let's hope nothing happens to regalvanise the Unionist parties.

There is still a *large* number of undecideds. They might be undecided because they still can't work out which way to tactically vote against the SNP. Or they might be open to more powers and willing to give the SNP a go like in 2011, safe in the knowledge that they can knock independence back in any further referendum.

Time will tell...

to be clear

The Tories are masters at keeping power, they will do anything to hold onto power..

If the Tories need the SNP seats, or, more likely, if they neutralise them so Labour cant use them, and therefore give the Tories a bigger working group....

What If the Tories put FFA in a Queens speach, and dare the SNP to vote against it...

What would Nicola do..

FFA is great for Scotland, but a deal with the Tories could kill the SNP..

What is more imprtant to Nicola, Scotland or the SNP.....

It will happen and the SNP will take it...... the logic being that full control will keep the Tories out of Scotland forever. the SNP will withdraw from Westminster in return