It's England's Oil - Anything Goes - Other topics not covered elsewhere - Tartan Army Message Board Jump to content

It's England's Oil

Very misleading the news reports today, they have known that there are billions of barrels of oil onshore uk for decades, the have stumbles a across some that can actually be extracted, i would be surprised if there were more than 100 million barrels recoverable from the gatwick find

From the BBC Comments:

MrHedgehog: On the assumption that this find turns out to be viable, instead of frittering the income away, I'd like to suggest that the country starts a sovereign wealth fund along the same lines as the one operated by the Norwegians.

I will be very angry if that happens - the SNP have been campaigning for one for years, and we've been shot down at every attempt.

willythewombat: "I hope the revenue will all be for the English, after all just because the people of the 4 nations are all part of the United Kingdom doesn't mean they have to share..........Does is Ms Sturgeon?"

Aye, because the oil in the Scottish sector of the North Sea is kept solely for Scotland...

This can only increase support for independence...

Edited by Clyde1998

Who cares? Oil is worthless these days.

Or so I've heard anyway.

Exactly. If it's only worth $50 a barrel it's hardly worth bothering about. I can't understand why we wasted all that money extracting it at (an adjusted for inflation) price of about $25 a barrel for nearly half a century.

......but surely it's a win win for Scotland

either

Independence (although clearly we'd be mad to vote for a worthless oil-based economy)

or

an equal share of unimagined oil revenues [for DC assured us*, with all his heart, that we are an equal partner with an equal voice and an equal, nay, a leading, role in the UK]

#oilbonanza

*Sept 2014