Labour Backs Tories - Anything Goes - Other topics not covered elsewhere - Tartan Army Message Board Jump to content

Labour Backs Tories

According to yesterday's Torygraph:

In Perth, a group of young activists led by Andrew Skinner, a Labour supporter from Glasgow, has been leafleting the Labour stronghold of North Muirton, trying to persuade people to vote Tory.

• “They did really well and the Conservatives bought them lunch afterwards,” says Victor Clements, the director of Forward Together, a local tactical voting campaign. “It’s quite surreal when it comes down to it.”

Any statements yet by Milliband or by Murphy. I do hope Mr Skinner is not a Labour Party member as I would have thought that sort of thing would be against the rules.

The 'Forward Together' lot have been out for the last few weekends in Perth city centre trying to persuade unionists to vote Tory in Perth and North Perthshire to get Pete Wishart out and Labour in Ochil and South Perthshire to stop the SNP taking it. The two I talked with were both Lib Dems; they're also working to keep the SNP out of North East Fife and Gordon.

Some letters in the local rag claim to be from Labour supporters in the city indicating they'll be following this advice.

I don't see how they can win this. All it does it polarise the argument, keeping the independence question at the top. That's plays into the SNP's hands.

If North Muirton was such a Labour stronghold as they say then it reeks of pish why they had to ask someone from Glasgow to deliver their leaflets.

Lying bastards. :mad:

I just cannot see the required 4,000+ voters here turning to the tories to overturn the SNP.

The questions remain:

If the Telegraph is correct that Labour activists are trying to persuade people to vote Tory do Milliband and Murphy approve?

If Mr Skinner is a Labour Party member is this against the rules and if so what action are Labour taking?

The questions remain:

If the Telegraph is correct that Labour activists are trying to persuade people to vote Tory do Milliband and Murphy approve?

If Mr Skinner is a Labour Party member is this against the rules and if so what action are Labour taking?

It is against the party rules.

I have always thought that a big factor in this election would be Tories voting for Labour to try to keep SNP out. I never thought it would go the other way (Labour voters voting Tory) to any significant amount. I certainly never expected Labour activists to be blatantly and openly promoting the idea. Strange days indeed.

This could be an absolute watershed for Labour in Scotland. They're making such a James Hunt of the campaign under Murphy and I don't see them learning any lessons from the experience. Bizarrely they could end up in government due to SNP confidence and supply at Westminster yet totally irrelevant in Scotland.

I suspect that we're going to see a split of monumental proportions once the dust has settled.

For years they've never had to do that much to get re-elected in about half of Scotland's constituencies, and they seemed totally unable to work out how to handle the fact that they've got a fight on their hands.

It is very entertaining to see them doing the headless chicken dance.

For years they've never had to do that much to get re-elected in about half of Scotland's constituencies, and they seemed totally unable to work out how to handle the fact that they've got a fight on their hands.

It is very entertaining to see them doing the headless chicken dance.

There was some political analyst saying this recently. The LibDems are used to having to scrap and fight and win every seat and know how to mobilise their troops. Labour are apparently just not used to it, for large parts of their territories.

However, we shall see. I simply don't believe Labour are as weak as they appear to be.

The questions remain:

Miliband and Murphy will deny it, of course. But if journalists were at least to ask the question, they'd be forced to admit or deny it happening