12 Years A Slave- Based On A True Story - Anything Goes - Other topics not covered elsewhere - Tartan Army Message Board Jump to content

12 Years A Slave- Based On A True Story

A great film that had to be watched. And you wonder 150 years later why race relations are so strained.

How can you reconcile to a people who were literally allowed to be owned by another person, flogged and have their families ripped apart and sold like cattle, just because of the colour of their skin?

It's the root of Americas race problems. The country simply hasn't got over that wrong.

Brutal stuff.

J

Edited by Bristolhibby

This is not just a colour thing though

There was bonded slaves in Norway called valets or something. U also have this in India

There were also bonded slaves on West Indies from the scottish highlands

There were more slaves taken from Africa into Arabia than America's but they are not around now. Wonder why ...........

There were more slaves taken from Africa into Arabia than America's but they are not around now. Wonder why ...........

Well the suadi's didn't abolish slavery till 1962, and it's still practiced today unoffically, they still have and sell African Slaves.

http://tundratabloids.com/2012/11/abdul-for-sale-saudi-on-facebook-selling-castrated-black-african-muslim-slave.html

"

A Saudi prince who beat and strangled his servant to death at the culmination of a campaign of "sadistic" abuse is facing a life sentence after being convicted of murder.

Saud Abdulaziz bin Nasser al Saud, a grandson of the billionaire king of Saudi Arabia, was found guilty at the Old Bailey of killing Bandar Abdulaziz at their five-star hotel suite in central London."

http://www.theguardian.com/uk/2010/oct/19/saudi-prince-servant-murder-guilty

Edited by phart

This is not just a colour thing though

There was bonded slaves in Norway called valets or something. U also have this in India

There were also bonded slaves on West Indies from the scottish highlands

:ok: Glad you pointed this out .I've been banging on about this for years as it's seems there's a whole generation who believe it is just a colour thing.The Barbary pirates took hundreds of thousands of Europeans into slavery in Africa for over 200 years including many from these islands.

The treatment of these slaves was much more brutal than in the American colonies.The reason there are few descendants of European slaves in Africa is that they were treated less of a commodity and worked to death.There was a crew member of an American shipwreck around 1820 who was one of the few survivors that lived to tell his tale.It is one of the most horrific accounts of mans inhumanity to man i have ever come across including him being forced to drink Camels urine to stay alive.Can't remember the name of the book if anyone else has come across it.

Our education system's teaching on slavery seems to me to be weighted in favour of specific race or skin colour.I am not sure if it is down to ignorance or some political agenda.We're all Jock Tamsons Bairns as far as slavery was and is concerned.

Some interesting reading here: Christian Slaves, Muslim Masters: White Slavery in the Mediterranean, the Barbary Coast, and Italy, 1500-1800 (Palgrave Macmillan).

i wonder who built the pyramids

Ironically there is no direct evidence that slaves were actually used.Egyptian Royalty appear to have used seasonal workers as a form of indentured labour for part of the year from the Nile Delta.In return the Pharaohs offered protection and security in the region.Possibly an early form of feudal obligation.

Ironically there is no direct evidence that slaves were actually used.Egyptian Royalty appear to have used seasonal workers as a form of indentured labour for part of the year from the Nile Delta.In return the Pharaohs offered protection and security in the region.Possibly an early form of feudal obligation.

considering the pyramids are aligned to true north 3 times more accurately than the royal observatory, i've always wondered how they were built.

I recently read The Known World by Edward P. Jones. Central to the book is the issue of black slave owners, but as a work of fiction it's probably the best handling of the broad issues of US slavery that I've read.

Yeah like folk thinking the american civil war was fought over slavery.

Yeah like folk thinking the american civil war was fought over slavery.

Although the primary narrative of the book predates the Civil War, he always uses the language of the 'war between the states' embedding it (in my mind anyway) as a morally neutral conflict. He makes no political points about it but I imagine clearly recognises that point, including using a literary device of 20th century hindsight.

It's a while since I ever studied the US Civil War so I'm not going to claim expertise here but I was always drawn to Howard Zinn's perspective of it as a critical component of America's conversion process to Capitalism.

Edited by Huddersfield

Although the primary narrative of the book predates the Civil War, he always uses the language of the 'war between the states' embedding it (in my mind anyway) as a morally neutral conflict. He makes no political points about it but I imagine clearly recognises that point, including using a literary device of 20th century hindsight.

It's a while since I ever studied the US Civil War so I'm not going to claim expertise here but I was always drawn to Howard Zinn's perspective of it as a critical component of America's conversion process to Capitalism.

Well who issued currency was certainly one of the main reasons, with France and Gb agitating in the south as well, the reason i say it wasn't civil rights though is cause Lioncoln, congress etc stated it clearly in their own writings.

writing into a paper he wrote

"My paramount object in this struggle is to save the Union, and it is not either to save or destroy slavery. If I could save the Union without freeing any slave, I would do it.”

Congress also made similar pledges.

Well who issued currency was certainly one of the main reasons, with France and Gb agitating in the south as well, the reason i say it wasn't civil rights though is cause Lioncoln, congress etc stated it clearly in their own writings.

writing into a paper he wrote

"My paramount object in this struggle is to save the Union, and it is not either to save or destroy slavery. If I could save the Union without freeing any slave, I would do it.”

Congress also made similar pledges.

In polemical terms, Zinn portrayed the conflict as a choice between types of slavery; bonded or wage. The rapid industrialisation in the North required a radical new economic model into which slavery didn't fit. The economic model of the South was not one that would tend to deliver growth at the scale that was happening in the North.

The race issue though was clearly a potent one & Lincoln I think probably quite successfully was able to wrap up a mix of defending the union, fighting injustice & patriotic fervour to promote the conflict. I recall reading that there were attempts from workers leaders in the North to stop anti-slavery petitions coming to Congress on the grounds that they were masking the true issues of 'oppression'.

Suffice to say you are entirely right that it's nonsense to portray it as a straightforward crusade to liberate slaves.