Passport - Page 2 - Republic of Ireland v Scotland - Tartan Army Message Board Jump to content

Passport

INTERNATIONAL TRAVEL - TRAVEL DOCUMENTS ACCEPTED :

A valid passport

A valid National Identity Card issued by the government of a European Economic Area (EEA) country. (Only the following EEA countries currently issue National Identity Cards acceptable for carriage on Ryanair flights: Austria, Belgium, Bulgaria, Croatia, Cyprus, Czech Republic, Estonia, Finland, France*, Germany, Gibraltar, Greece, Hungary, Italy, Latvia, Liechtenstein, Lithuania, Luxembourg, Netherlands, Malta, Poland, Portugal, Romania, Slovakia, Slovenia, Spain, Sweden (not accepted on non Schengen flights), Switzerland. *The validity of French National ID cards (issued for adults) has been extended from 10 years to 15 years ONLY for cards issued between 2nd January 2004 and 31st December 2013 (except flights to/from Malta) .

For travel to Morocco - only a valid passport is accepted.

valid German Government issued Kinderausweis travel document

A valid Greek National Police identity card

A valid Italian Certificato Di Nascita with photo (for use by children under 16 years) which has been endorsed as VALIDO PER L'ESPATRIO for travel on international flights, . A

A valid UN Refugee Convention Travel Document (issued in accordance with Article 28(1) of the 1951 UN Convention, by a Government in place of a valid passport.)

A valid Convention Travel Document (issued in accordance with Article 27 of the 1954 UN Convention for Stateless Persons, by a contracting state in place of a valid passport)

A valid Collective Passport issued by an EU/EEA country

A passport for travel outside the EEA (European Economic Area) must be valid for period of intended stay

If a visa is applicable any children/infants must be travelling with the adult named on a visa vignette

flipping hell. Some of the advice here is flipping awful.

The UK and Ireland share a common travel zone so that you don't need your passport to pass between the 2 countries.

If you are travelling to Ireland with Ryanair their policy (that you agreed to when booking your ticket) says you must use your passport as ID.

Other airlines should accept other photo ID.

If you're crossing into Ireland from the North there's zero chance you'll have to show anything to anyone.

I'd also like to point out my earlier pedantry was excellent.

Flybe accept driving licence so no passport. Cheers

If they have , they would be advised to update their terms and conditions on their webpage

Im flying to London from Dublin this Friday for the weekend , albeit not with Ryanair ....but will check it out at the airport and let ye know

It is up to date, nowhere on the link you put up does it mention Ireland/UK on the list of countries where national ID cards are accepted.

"

The Common Travel Area means that there are no passport controls in operation for Irish and UK citizens travelling between the two countries. Since 1997, some controls are in effect on arrivals in Ireland from the UK but this does not mean that you are required to carry your Irish or UK passport with you when you travel between the countries. You must, however, carry an acceptable form of photo-identification, examples of which are listed below. When you arrive in Ireland, you may sometimes be asked for valid official photo-identification which shows your nationality. As you are being asked to prove that you are an Irish or UK citizen who is entitled to avail of the Common Travel Area arrangements, it would be advisable to travel with your passport.

• A valid passport
  • A driver's licence with photo
  • An international student card
  • A national ID card
  • A bus pass with photo
  • A Garda ID with photo
  • A work ID with photo"

http://www.citizensinformation.ie/en/moving_country/moving_abroad/freedom_of_movement_within_the_eu/common_travel_area_between_ireland_and_the_uk.html

Remember all the keech during the referendum about needing a passport to travel to Carlisle?

Edited by Flure

I'm flying Aer Lingus who will accept other forms of ID - I'll just use my driving licence (although being a belt 'n'' braces person I may take my passport as well). For reasons best known to themselves Ryanair will only accept passports.

Edited by Charlie Endell

I'm flying Aer Lingus who will accept other forms of ID - I'll just use my driving licence (although being a belt 'n'' braces person I may take my passport as well). For reasons best known to themselves Ryanair will only accept passports.

The official line used to be:

"consistency over their entire network".

Not sure if that's still the case though as I've not used them recently (big in O&G).

OK Here it is. And I'm assuming everyone on here is a UK national (as we don't have ID Cards).

If driving from the North or taking a ferry, no passport required.

If flying (using anyone other than Ryanair), passport not required. (Disclaimer - please check individual airlines terms and conditions).

If flying using Ryanair, Passport Required.

I'm flying Ryanair, I shall be taking my passport. Jobs a good'un.

No idea why you wouldn't take your passport TBH, better safe than sorry.

J

You should realise by now that what he says and what he actually means can be two very different things....

So sorry your honor.... just assumed that Aer Lingus was the same, given our boss got knocked back from a Ryanair flight to Dublin a few weeks ago when he was heading out for a important meeting with Bam Nuttall in Kill, because he just assumed his driving license was enough to get him on a Ryanair flight to Dublin.

Edited by wanderer

Is it just not easier to take your passport ?

It would be easier to take it mate......but if we applied that logic then we couldnt have this fascinating passport debate :-))

Spoke to a few mates in work this morning ----- they all have said Ryanair HAVE BECOME MORE STRICT on passports in the last year.

A National ID card will do .......BUT i dont think ye guys get issued them across the water?

To be safe and to avoid any potential dissappointment folks.......

TAKE YOUR PASSPORT!

cheers!

Edited by Green_Tide_Rising