Scotland Squad - Page 5 - TA specific - Tartan Army Message Board Jump to content

Scotland Squad

wanderer

• Replies 216
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

It's a strong squad that will put in a good performance against N. Ireland and get three points against Gibraltar - will be interesting to see if the squad remains the same after the weekend matches.

Bannan, Ritchie, Forrest and May are the only real surprises in there.

Would have like to have seen Cooper from Leeds given a taste of the squad in place of Reynolds, but not a big deal.

Ritchie's quite welcome tho, his team's top of the championship and he's in double figures in goals and assists. Certainly worth trying him.

Bannan's not really pulling up trees at Bolton, but I guess is still in due to having performed well for Strachan at the tail end of the last campaign.

Forrest.. I can only think that maybe WGS wants to bring on Forrest 2nd half and see if his pace will match Anya on the other flank. We'll see.

May, lucky to be in imo. Has nicked a couple coming off the bench in recent weeks, but still. A show of faith from WGS, which might help his confidence and let him take chances like the easy one he missed on Saturday.

Absentees:

Watt - Didn't deserve it.

Griffiths - Maybe deserved to be in ahead of May, but May has actually scored more league goals this season, and in a better league. (i might be trolling a little)

GMS - Should have been in ahead of Forrest tbh.

Gauld - Seems like a case of not rushing him and letting him carry on his development with his club. Would be nice to have seen him, but i get why he's not there.

Armstrong - Not likely to make the squad. The competition in central midfield is fantastic and he's just not at that level quite yet.

Dorrans - Still finding his feet at Norwich is seems. Didn't deserve to be in.

Hanley, CMartin, Mulgrew - all missing due to injury/fitness

Not too much to complain about really. Nothing that's notable enough to be a concern. Some will cite Forrest, but given his injury record for the last few years, WGS may just want to take a look at him. He's unlikely to play, given the number of other higher calibre wide options in the squad.

Over all, a good squad. Good to see Rhodes in there, I would have been a bit disappointed in WGS if he hadn't got a call. We've got a new face to take a look at and being in a situation where we have good players left out is actually a big plus for us, much as people might cry about their particular favourite being missing.

Start 4-4-2 or 4-3-3 against Gibraltar with this squad. None of this 4-5-1 playing it safe. We need a convincing victory to keep morale high in prep for our trip to Dublin.

I'd imaging the NI game will feature subs galore and we'll have the inevitable drop off of a few players before then too.

Great to see Rhodes and McCormack back, would have both them in instead of Chris Martin any day of the week

No idea why Stevie May is in squad he has done nothing of note at Sheff Wed since he went there, being found out now maybe not at that level yet.

No idea why Stevie May is in squad he has done nothing of note at Sheff Wed since he went there, being found out now maybe not at that level yet.

He's not been a first pick all season, but he's still at 7 goals in the league. He can certainly hit double figures, which isn't bad for his first season in the Championship. He's missed some easy chances for sure, which is quite unlike him. e.g. a simple volley 6 years out in the centre of the goal on saturay, but he kept going and netted with a nice header pulling off his man. I think it's that attitude that will see him succeed. Even when he misses, he doesn't hide he carries on putting the effort in. To say he's been 'found out' is just silly.

Bannan, Ritchie, Forrest and May are the only real surprises in there.

Would have like to have seen Cooper from Leeds given a taste of the squad in place of Reynolds, but not a big deal.

Ritchie's quite welcome tho, his team's top of the championship and he's in double figures in goals and assists. Certainly worth trying him.

Bannan's not really pulling up trees at Bolton, but I guess is still in due to having performed well for Strachan at the tail end of the last campaign.

Forrest.. I can only think that maybe WGS wants to bring on Forrest 2nd half and see if his pace will match Anya on the other flank. We'll see.

May, lucky to be in imo. Has nicked a couple coming off the bench in recent weeks, but still. A show of faith from WGS, which might help his confidence and let him take chances like the easy one he missed on Saturday.

Absentees:

Watt - Didn't deserve it.

Griffiths - Maybe deserved to be in ahead of May, but May has actually scored more league goals this season, and in a better league. (i might be trolling a little)

GMS - Should have been in ahead of Forrest tbh.

Gauld - Seems like a case of not rushing him and letting him carry on his development with his club. Would be nice to have seen him, but i get why he's not there.

Armstrong - Not likely to make the squad. The competition in central midfield is fantastic and he's just not at that level quite yet.

Dorrans - Still finding his feet at Norwich is seems. Didn't deserve to be in.

Hanley, CMartin, Mulgrew - all missing due to injury/fitness

Not too much to complain about really. Nothing that's notable enough to be a concern. Some will cite Forrest, but given his injury record for the last few years, WGS may just want to take a look at him. He's unlikely to play, given the number of other higher calibre wide options in the squad.

Over all, a good squad. Good to see Rhodes in there, I would have been a bit disappointed in WGS if he hadn't got a call. We've got a new face to take a look at and being in a situation where we have good players left out is actually a big plus for us, much as people might cry about their particular favourite being missing.

I would agree with pretty much all of that but remember May did do pretty well when coming on against England and along with Russell breathed some life into our attacks so on that note it would have been a tad unfair to axe him after that. Bannan uses the ball well and doesn't seem to let us down so merits a place and don't really know enough about Cooper to judge. Apart from that I agree.

Quite disappointed with no inclusion of GMS and/or Armstrong after their recent performances.

bit baffling

can't understand why a fit a playing bardsley gets no look in

however if he keeps winning he can pick whoever he wants

Based on the press conference it sounded a bit like Forrest was Strachan's 1 "have a look at them" player. He said he wants to have a chat and see him in training to see what he is like. That could be why he's there ahead of GMS.

I do feel like this may be the last time we see a squad looking like this. There is at least 5 players all pushing for inclusion that will force their way in over the next 12 months.

Scoring eight goals is hardly nothing of note. Do know a Wednesday fan and he is thought of highly by them. Plus, as I said elsewhere, he made a difference on coming on as sub V England breathing life into an otherwise bereft attack so hardly fair to axe him on the back of that.

50% of squad from Championship sides.

Championship is a better league than the scottish permiership league, very competitive league where everyone can beat everyone on there day.

With GMS and Armstrong.. it's a case of who's in ahead of them.

GMS - Anya, Russell, Ritchie, Bannan, Maloney, Naismith, Forrest.

Forrest's maybe the only one I'd play GMS ahead of and Forrest seems to be in the squad purely to look at him. (like Gauld and MacLeod previously)

Armstrong - Brown, Fletcher, Morrison, McArthur, Maloney, Naismith, Bannan.

Might be better than using Bannan in the middle, but I can't see him supplanting any of the rest just yet.

As for Whittaker vs Bardsley.. I think it's a case of Whittaker being the more attack minded of the two.

He's not been a first pick all season, but he's still at 7 goals in the league. He can certainly hit double figures, which isn't bad for his first season in the Championship. He's missed some easy chances for sure, which is quite unlike him. e.g. a simple volley 6 years out in the centre of the goal on saturay, but he kept going and netted with a nice header pulling off his man. I think it's that attitude that will see him succeed. Even when he misses, he doesn't hide he carries on putting the effort in. To say he's been 'found out' is just silly.

I watch alot of the championship being a leeds utd fan and anytime saw May in highlights he hasnt been great misses alot of chances when saw him. Not saying he wont make it but not ready for international level yet!

Scoring eight goals is hardly nothing of note. Do know a Wednesday fan and he is thought of highly by them. Plus, as I said elsewhere, he made a difference on coming on as sub V England breathing life into an otherwise bereft attack so hardly fair to axe him on the back of that.

Scored two goals since 29/11 and that came against Millwall second bottom of league and Fulham who are 5th bottom i am sure, he went 12 games without scoring in that time and was dropped to bench

Edited by Geed

Scored two goals since 29/11 and that came against Millwall second bottom of league and Fulham who are 5th bottom i am sure, he went 12 games without scoring in that time and was dropped to bench

Did you go to England match? There is no denying when he and Russell came on they injected life into our attack which had been lifeless up until then. He certainly never let us down that night so to axe him from the squad would have been very harsh especially considering the options we have at the moment up front.

Offers much more than Griffiths, made a difference to our attack V England when he came on and apart from Watt there is no other Scottish striker out there in form so that is why he is in.

Point making is he hasnt been starting and isnt a first team regular, i would rather play folk who are on form and playing week in and week out. Rhodes, Naismith, S.Fletcher and McCormack are all starting nearly every week apart from S.Fletcher. May has to be playing every week and on form for me to be in squad