Scottish Cup Quarters - Page 9 - Football related - Discussion of non TA football - Tartan Army Message Board Jump to content

Scottish Cup Quarters

As long as it's not deliberate then it's not a foul. It's the only law in football where it has to be intentional. You should look at the rules - it matters not where the ball is going, or how unfair it would be. That's the rules.

You'll always be given it in the modern game though as very few people appreciate the clarity of the handball law - as you have demonstrated.

Unfortunately, the word 'intentional' is still one that is open to interpretation......the only arbiter of the action being deliberate or not isn't the player himself, but the referee.

I've no doubt that pretty much every player that's been penalised for handball in the box will say that he didn't do it 'deliberately'.

For me, as with every law in football, common sense has to be used in deciding what was 'deliberate' or not. Yesterday, Dixon dived in front of the ball with his arm up at head height.....I'm absolutely certain he would say that he didn't deliberately mean to handle the ball, but the fact is that he was determined to stop it going into the net (quite rightly) and he took the risk that he would be using an arm to block the shot.

Common sense dictates that in a case like this, the action can be considered 'deliberate' by the referee. I don't see how he had any other choice yesterday....not to give a penalty would have been, well, wrong.

Edit : I saw just saw your comments about clarity. Pretty much the only laws of the game with real clarity are things like the offside law, or the ball going out of play, size of the goalposts etc.

Anything that actually happens during play such as free-kicks etc, is pretty much interpretational.

Edited by Rossy

• Replies 528
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Unfortunately, the word 'intentional' is still one that is open to interpretation......the only arbiter of the action being deliberate or not isn't the player himself, but the referee.

I've no doubt that pretty much every player that's been penalised for handball in the box will say that he didn't do it 'deliberately'.

For me, as with every law in football, common sense has to be used in deciding what was 'deliberate' or not. Yesterday, Dixon dived in front of the ball with his arm up at head height.....I'm absolutely certain he would say that he didn't deliberately mean to handle the ball, but the fact is that he was determined to stop it going into the net (quite rightly) and he took the risk that he would be using an arm to block the shot.

Common sense dictates that in a case like this, the action can be considered 'deliberate' by the referee. I don't see how he had any other choice yesterday....not to give a penalty would have been, well, wrong.

Edit : I saw just saw your comments about clarity. Pretty much the only laws of the game with real clarity are things like the offside law, or the ball going out of play, size of the goalposts etc.

Anything that actually happens during play such as free-kicks etc, is pretty much interpretational.

Therein lies the problem.

I've been saying on this thread I thought it was the wrong call, but I'm inclined to agree with you on a lot of that.

Yes, the interpretation of intent is of course subjective. However, the law is very clear that there has to be intent.

But you're right enough, penalty and red card was the just outcome yesterday.

Therein lies the problem.

I've been saying on this thread I thought it was the wrong call, but I'm inclined to agree with you on a lot of that.

It's the wording of the law that leads to confusion.

How do you know if someone did something deliberately ? You don't....you interpret it according to the circumstances in front of you.

It's a really poorly worded law. But the only real alternative is to take away the word 'deliberate' and make all instances of handball a foul. Would that be better ? I don't know... :blink:

How do you know if someone did something deliberately ? You don't....you interpret it according to the circumstances in front of you.

It's a really poorly worded law. But the only real alternative is to take away the word 'deliberate' and make all instances of handball a foul. Would that be better ? I don't know... :blink:

I don't think it would be no.

In a perverse way, I actually quite like it the way it is. It's for the same reason I wouldn't like to see a video ref introduced for big decisions. I know it frustrates the hell out of us all but it all adds to the excitement IMO. that said I'm sure we would find something to argue about regardless :-))

Don't think that would work either as you would have people just kicking the ball at opponent's arms at point blank range to try and get a penalty.

The problem with the word deliberate is that people understandably interpret that as being "he meant to handle the ball" and of course that's not what the official meaning is supposed to be and what referees apply. When you add in your arm being in an unnatural position, that is just even more confusing.

Was the old wording for these sorts of deliberate or intentional offences not something like "Seeking to gain an advantage" which while not ideal does convey a bit better what the law is trying to do.

I don't think that is a great description but it conveys better than deliberate or intentional what the law is trying to achieve.

I don't actually think that there's too much wrong with the law or the interpretation as it stands, a bit more consistency from referees and fans - and more especially pundits - having a bit more understanding of the law.

Don't think that would work either as you would have people just kicking the ball at opponent's arms at point blank range to try and get a penalty.

The problem with the word deliberate is that people understandably interpret that as being "he meant to handle the ball" and of course that's not what the official meaning is supposed to be and what referees apply. When you add in your arm being in an unnatural position, that is just even more confusing.

Was the old wording for these sorts of deliberate or intentional offences not something like "Seeking to gain an advantage" which while not ideal does convey a bit better what the law is trying to do.

I don't think that is a great description but it conveys better than deliberate or intentional what the law is trying to achieve.

I don't actually think that there's too much wrong with the law or the interpretation as it stands, a bit more consistency from referees and fans - and more especially pundits - having a bit more understanding of the law.

I think you're thinking of offside.

The law is difficult to judge. Do you think Dixon deliberately - or even recklessly - played the ball with his hand yesterday? I would say not but I wouldn't want to wager any of my children's lives on it.

There's no right answer here, short of refs developing ESP.

Agree with most of this mate but your last statement is where it will always be a talking point.

I'm an Amateur referee and I've changed my mind already on this particular incident after seeing replays. I bet when I go to training tomorrow there will be debate on the merits of it being an incorrect/correct decision.

You can have as much understanding of the law as possible but, when it comes down to YOUR interpretation, you are always going to have inconsistency with decisions like this. As I said already, the ref deservedly got pelters yesterday, but for that incident he would be getting abuse no matter what way he went.

Edited by Angus_Young

Agree with most of this mate but your last statement is where it will always be a talking point.

I'm an Amateur referee and I've changed my mind already on this particular incident after seeing replays. I bet when I go to training tomorrow there will be debate on the merits of it being an incorrect/correct decision.

You can have as much understanding of the law as possible but, when it comes down to YOUR interpretation, you are always going to have inconsistency with decisions like this. As I said already, the ref deservedly got pelters yesterday, but for that incident he would be getting abuse no matter what way he went.

So what have you changed your mind to?

Reminds me of that terrible decision (in our favour) v Belgium in 2000. Shot is blasted straight at defenders goolies, he protects himself with his hands, ref decides penalty and red card.

So what have you changed your mind to?

No penalty.

To me it wasn't deliberate and his arm wasn't in an unnatural position, so therefor can't be given. I have sympathy with the ref on that on though as it obviously happened within the blink of an eye.

As I say though, I can very much see the case for it being given. Rossy made a few points about it a page or two ago that I find it difficult to disagree with.

I think you're thinking of offside.

The law is difficult to judge. Do you think Dixon deliberately - or even recklessly - played the ball with his hand yesterday? I would say not but I wouldn't want to wager any of my children's lives on it.

There's no right answer here, short of refs developing ESP.

I think he moves to block the ball and as Griffiths is shooting he brings his arm up - probably to protect his face - and the ball hits his arm. So for me its a stonewall penalty. The clincher for me- and I've had to watch replays to see this - is that its not a case of his arm being static and it hitting him, he brings his arm up to where the ball hits it.

I think he moves to block the ball and as Griffiths is shooting he brings his arm up - probably to protect his face - and the ball hits his arm. So for me its a stonewall penalty. The clincher for me- and I've had to watch replays to see this - is that its not a case of his arm being static and it hitting him, he brings his arm up to where the ball hits it.

I agree.

In instances like this ask yourself 2 questions:

1. Would I expect a penalty for my team in the same scenario

2. Would I expect the opposition to get a penalty for the same

Looking at yesterday's match I'd say yes to both.

I still think that the triple sanction is wrong though.

Would anyone be in favour of a 'penalty goal' being awarded and a yellow card issued?

I agree.

In instances like this ask yourself 2 questions:

1. Would I expect a penalty for my team in the same scenario

2. Would I expect the opposition to get a penalty for the same

Looking at yesterday's match I'd say yes to both.

I still think that the triple sanction is wrong though.

Would anyone be in favour of a 'penalty goal' being awarded and a yellow card issued?

In instances like this you only have to ask one question - was it deliberate?

Difficult to judge - I'd say 60/40 no, but I'm not screaming and shouting about it. Happy to accept the ref judged it intentional.